1990 4.5l air system problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1990 4.5l air system problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; is there any way to find what is causing this? Keep getting e49 and car runs real bad. No smoke ...
    ashunte23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1990 4.5l air system problem

is there any way to find what is causing this? Keep getting e49 and car runs real bad. No smoke from tail pipe but idles rough and backfires no power at all.ant help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

D'Elegance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 D'Elegance 4.1L 1993 Eldo 4.9L 1993 STS 4.6L N* Z rated

Re: 1990 4.5l air system problem

Might be your air diverter valve, just a guess but thats what it was on my Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Elegance
    Might be your air diverter valve, just a guess but thats what it was on my Caddy.
    how do you find out if it is?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

From the AIR pump there is a fairly large hose running to the AIR valve on the RH valve cover. It connects to the front half of the AIR valve. If you look you can see that there are two sections to the valve. The first valve either sends the AIR from the pump to the air cleaner (divert mode) or sends it to the second half of the valve. The second half of the valve switches the air to the heads/exhaust manifold or to the pipe that is going to the catalytic converter. When the engine is cold the AIR should be switched to the exhaust manifold. When the engine is warm it should switch to the catalytic converter.

It sounds, from your description and the code, that the second half of the valve is stuck or failed causing the air to always stay switched to the exhaust manifold....that causes erroneous O2 sensor signals and fools the closed loop system into running the system too rich. You can diagnose this by taking the hose off the AIR valve that runs from the AIR valve to the exhaust manifold (just follow the hoses to see which one runs from the AIR valve to the exhaust manifold fitting) and leaving it disconnected. Plug the port to the exhaust side with a cork or something and drive the car to see if it runs OK. If so, then find out what is wrong with the AIR valve. I think that that valve had vacuum lines to it to actuate the valve if I am not mistaken. Possibly the electrical connectors from the PCM are corroded/loose or the vaccuum line is off/leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    From the AIR pump there is a fairly large hose running to the AIR valve on the RH valve cover. It connects to the front half of the AIR valve. If you look you can see that there are two sections to the valve. The first valve either sends the AIR from the pump to the air cleaner (divert mode) or sends it to the second half of the valve. The second half of the valve switches the air to the heads/exhaust manifold or to the pipe that is going to the catalytic converter. When the engine is cold the AIR should be switched to the exhaust manifold. When the engine is warm it should switch to the catalytic converter.

It sounds, from your description and the code, that the second half of the valve is stuck or failed causing the air to always stay switched to the exhaust manifold....that causes erroneous O2 sensor signals and fools the closed loop system into running the system too rich. You can diagnose this by taking the hose off the AIR valve that runs from the AIR valve to the exhaust manifold (just follow the hoses to see which one runs from the AIR valve to the exhaust manifold fitting) and leaving it disconnected. Plug the port to the exhaust side with a cork or something and drive the car to see if it runs OK. If so, then find out what is wrong with the AIR valve. I think that that valve had vacuum lines to it to actuate the valve if I am not mistaken. Possibly the electrical connectors from the PCM are corroded/loose or the vaccuum line is off/leaking.

thanks I'll give that an try today.will update after

that didn't work car ran even worse? any more ideas hate to pay dealer costs but looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Did you disconnect the AIR line to the exhaust manifold completely and plug the port/hose to the exhaust manifold??

When you do that, disconnect the battery negative cable for 60 seconds and then take the car out and drive for awhile. Just taking the hose loose for a short period might not prove the point as the system has "learned" a severe fuel offset due to the erroneous air delivery. Reset that by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and drive for awhile to see if the problem is resolved.

If not, it may be an injector sticking or failed fuel pressure regulator causing excessive richness that is "fooling" the AIR failure detection code.

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vac line off the FPR while idling to see if any fuel seeps from the FPR vacuum nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Did you disconnect the AIR line to the exhaust manifold completely and plug the port/hose to the exhaust manifold??

When you do that, disconnect the battery negative cable for 60 seconds and then take the car out and drive for awhile. Just taking the hose loose for a short period might not prove the point as the system has "learned" a severe fuel offset due to the erroneous air delivery. Reset that by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and drive for awhile to see if the problem is resolved.

If not, it may be an injector sticking or failed fuel pressure regulator causing excessive richness that is "fooling" the AIR failure detection code.

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vac line off the FPR while idling to see if any fuel seeps from the FPR vacuum nipple.
    where is the fuel pressure regulator located tried the other things and that didn't work.could running rich hurt the catalytic converter?should I just get the whole fuel system replaced, car has 90,000 miles anyways. If this helps just got an stereo installed nothing big but might be causing the problem since they kinda happened in order. Got stereo then got problem.could the alternator not provide enough power and cause this? Is there any way to check that?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.