Best way to clean my throttle body?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Best way to clean my throttle body? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a '94 deville and got A P085 code last night following a diognostics check after seeing the "service ...
    megatron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Best way to clean my throttle body?

I have a '94 deville and got A P085 code last night following a diognostics check after seeing the "service engine soon light" come on. I am wondering what is the best way to clean the thottle body and what can I use such as what cleaners and what kind of brush? Also I can seem to get the "SES" light to reset and turn off how do I do this? I did it a few weeks ago to reset the "SES" light when I got the trouble code for my loss of road sensing data. last thing is do I have to wait until I clean the throttle body before the "SES" will reset and go off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Best way to clean my throttle body?

Do a search. There are a lot of posts around about this already.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Remove the intake duct and then the MAF sensor. Block the throttle plate open. Spay the TB bore, the back side and the perimiter of the throttle plate with carb or TB cleaner (I have used gumout because it was on my shelf). Scrub with an old tooth brush and wipe with a rag til clean. Reassemble.

After you enter the diagnostics, use the HI FAN button to answer "yes" to PCM? Then use the LOW FAN button to answer "no" to the next prompts til you get to "clear PCM codes?" then answer "yes".

Ranger where is the MAF,what does it look like and how do I remove it? Also It won't let me reset the "service engine soon" light I did this before with another code but it dosen't seem to want to do it with this code.

The code will clear but if it is still detecting the problem it will reset immediatly. The MAF is in the black tube that is mounted to the TB intake (3 screws I believe). Just unplug the electrical connection, remove 3 screws and remove the entire tube (MAF sensor) will come off. Do not try to remove anything from the tube.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I suspect that his 94 Deville has a 4.9 and may not have a MAF....it is a speed density system with no MAF.

Just take the air cleaner off the throttle body, hold the throttle blades wide open and look down them.....cleaning from that point on is obvious with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

Sorry, I was thinking it was a Northstar.

I'm not sure, either, since it doesn't say which but, unless the 94 Deville was a Concour Deville I think it had a 4.9 in it.

Bbob my deville has the 4.9 liter motor not the northstar. I cleaned the throttle body as mentioned here and it made a real differance,Ieven cleaned out the EGR valves myself. the inside of that throttle body looks like a mirror and she purrs like a kitten now no more rough idle at all. I reset my trouble codes and the check engine light has gone off now and no new trouble codes. All this car has reallt needed since I bought it was a tune up that being new plugs,wires,cap and rotor. The ones that came out of the car were the oringial ones they were toast. Thanks to eveyone here you've all been a trmendous help to me as a new caddy owner so far.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

good to hear your running great mega ...sorry i missed this thread dude ....been hectic lately with 2 major papers due ...

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Does anyone know if GM put special coatings on the throttle blades to protect them from gunk like Ford did? You aren't supposed to use carb cleaner on Fords, and they don't like you even touching the blades.

I have never heard from GM, are they similar?

I use X66A from your local GM dealer. Excellent stuff! X66P also works fine.

I don't know of any coating that keeps deposits off.

Sometimes, depending on the way the idle speed control is set up and/or the size of the throttle body there is a special coating put around the perimeter of the blade actually sealing it to the bore. The coating dries and breaks when the throttle is opened . The close seal of the broken surface of the coating allows a very good seal when the throttle body is closed which makes the system less affected by deposit buildup. The deposits still build up....but their effect of sealing up the air flow aroung the blade is minimized because the coating already does this. The idea of not cleaning it is to make sure that the material is not removed. Those systems typically do NOT use an idle speed control motor...they are more like the idle air control or idle bypass air with a separate port such as the NOrthstar uses in 1996 and later. The earliest fuel injection systems had the idle speed control motor type system which was phased out in 1996.

That material is commonly referred to as "dag"...I forget what it stands for. But it is like a crumbly sealing material that is applied around the blade perimeter when the throttle body is brand new sealing it to the bore. The blade opens, cracking the dag. If you remove it then too much air will leak past the edge of the blades and cause problems with the idle speed control so the service procedures stipulate to not clean the bores in the throttle body. So, the material does not prevent the deposit buildup but it does make the system more immune to deposit buildup.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Back in the early 1960's some GM cars had a three 2-barrel carb setup. The end carbs had no idle circuits at all and the throttle bores had a rubber seal that the blade closed against for positive sealing. More that one mechanic had to dig deap into his own pocket to replace the end carbs after running them through the carb cleaner and seeing that rubber seal swell to the size of a doughnut.

gretschric is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I keep reading about cleaning EGR tubes. Is this also related to an 85 Fleetwood/Deville? I have TBI and I believe there is something called an EFE Relay in the way sandwiched between the throttle body and the intake manifold. Should I take off the throttle body and the EFE relay. Bbob, or anyone...what does the EFE relay do anyway? My problem is that when the car is warm it hesitates on takeoff and also around 60 to 65 when I am climbing a mountainous road I need to kick the car into Overdrive and it responds fine. I know I should be driving in 3 on hills like this but I was just wondering. Is this a fuel problem or an ignition problem such as plugs and wires? I have over 200K on the original fuel injectors and I also have seen that these injectors have filters on them? Have you ever heard of that and have you ever seen them get clogged on a TBI system? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gretschric
    I keep reading about cleaning EGR tubes. Is this also related to an 85 Fleetwood/Deville? I have TBI and I believe there is something called an EFE Relay in the way sandwiched between the throttle body and the intake manifold. Should I take off the throttle body and the EFE relay. Bbob, or anyone...what does the EFE relay do anyway? My problem is that when the car is warm it hesitates on takeoff and also around 60 to 65 when I am climbing a mountainous road I need to kick the car into Overdrive and it responds fine. I know I should be driving in 3 on hills like this but I was just wondering. Is this a fuel problem or an ignition problem such as plugs and wires? I have over 200K on the original fuel injectors and I also have seen that these injectors have filters on them? Have you ever heard of that and have you ever seen them get clogged on a TBI system? Thanks in advance.

That is an 85 front wheel drive car...???

In any case it has the EGR tubes but they shouldn't need cleaning as the fuel from the throttle body injectors sluicing down the bores of the throttle body keep the throttle body and EGR tubes pretty clean.

The EEFE grid is a ceramic heater grid that is in the air stream below the throttle body. It is designed to heat up on cold starts to warm up the incoming air and aid in fuel evaporation/atomization. It could become plugged or restrictive over time I suppose. Open the throttle blades and look down the bores with a strong light. You should be able to see the grid of the EEFE below the throttle blades. If it has carbon deposits on it you might remove the throttle body and clean it as it could certainly be restricting air flow with that many miles on it. You could check the EGR tubes at the same time as they are below the EEFE grid. The EEFE stands for Electric Early Fuel Evaporation. It is a pzieo-electric ceramic grid heated by 12 volts fed to it during cold starts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.