E046
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, E046 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; E046 Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference. Anyone have this problem? Know the fix? The car is a 90 Seville ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Question E046

E046 Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference.
    Anyone have this problem? Know the fix?
    The car is a 90 Seville 4.5L

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: E046

Sounds like it might be a clogged/failing injector, or bad plugs.

A test of all the usual suspects is in order.

For testing the fuel side, I would check (in order), spark plugs (including wires and cap), and then the injectors.

I would also look for intake/exhaust leaks at the manifolds (intake and exhaust).

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

On a '90, the AIR system is often the culprit for this code. The diverter valve tends to fail and is stuck routing fresh air to the exhaust manifold, which is detected by the O2 sensor, creating a fuel trim difference between banks. Check the operation of the system.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

I keep forgetting about the AIR system....good call...

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    On a '90, the AIR system is often the culprit for this code. The diverter valve tends to fail and is stuck routing fresh air to the exhaust manifold, which is detected by the O2 sensor, creating a fuel trim difference between banks. Check the operation of the system.
    I kinda figured the place to start was the O2's, but now I'll look at the diverter valve first. Thanks!
    Where is that located by the way?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

behind the cruise control servo. Plastic assembly with a bunch of hoses coming off of it. If you are confused, follow the hose coming from the front exhaust manifold. It hooks to the diverter valve.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    behind the cruise control servo. Plastic assembly with a bunch of hoses coming off of it. If you are confused, follow the hose coming from the front exhaust manifold. It hooks to the diverter valve.
    Cool! Thanks. I'm heading to the salvage yard today, I scouted it yesterday and spotted a low mi, very clean, well maintained, 90 Seville with a lot of new stuff and the front end smashed so hard the engine and trans cases broke. I plan on stripping the diverter valve, Egr valve dist, fuel rail w/injectors, everything I can, including the interior which is the same color as mine but mint. SCORE!

Update;
    I changed out just the diverter valve with one I obtained from the salvage yard and so far the DTC E046 hasn't returned, but performance and fuel economy has!
    A big THANKS! go out to drewsdeville.

Its back!!! AND IT IS WORSE! I did a fuel pressure test and got nothing! But the thing starts and runs very crappy for a couple of min. Then the pressure kicks up to 30+ psi. When I shut it off and then turn the key to on with out starting, fuel pressure goes to zip. I replaced the fuel filter and got no results. And yes there is gas in the tank. As a mater of fact there is gas to the fuel rail, just no real consistent pressure.
    BTW, OBD trouble code E046 Right to Left bank fueling difference has returned.
    I listened to all the injectors with a mech’s stethoscope, they all sounded like they were functioning.
    I’m hoping someone has a tip or idea of which maybe it could be.
    Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.