1989 caddy surging
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1989 caddy surging in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone. Im new here, mainly to find out what is wrong with my father's caddy. At a stop light, ...
    DANS898MPCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1989 caddy surging

Hi everyone. Im new here, mainly to find out what is wrong with my father's caddy. At a stop light, when you take your foot off the brake even the slightest bit, the engine starts "chug-chug-chug" and with each "chug" the car moves forward. The idle sounds like crap, but he did just have a tune up not too long ago. Any idea's as to what the chugging problem is? Thanks for any and all help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 1989 caddy surging

Quote Originally Posted by DANS898MPCADDY
    Hi everyone. Im new here, mainly to find out what is wrong with my father's caddy. At a stop light, when you take your foot off the brake even the slightest bit, the engine starts "chug-chug-chug" and with each "chug" the car moves forward. The idle sounds like crap, but he did just have a tune up not too long ago. Any idea's as to what the chugging problem is? Thanks for any and all help.
    WELCOME to the forums.
    I personally can't give you any advice. Don't know enough but I can WELCOME you.

can someone please give there 2 cents and be a good person

DANS898MPCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

oh yeah, its the 4.5L v-8. anyone??

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DANS898MPCADDY
    oh yeah, its the 4.5L v-8. anyone??
    The 4.5L is a v-8

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

[QUOTE=JJhomer83]WELCOME to the forums.
    I personally can't give you any advice. Don't know enough but I can WELCOME you.

verify the throttle cable is returning to curb idle. if it is binding, surging will occur. also make sure the cruise control cable is not binding as well. remove the cruise cable from the throttle lever and see if it now returns to curb idle. also in rare cases i have seen a weak throttle return spring cause this. reply on this thread with what you find. i'm available after 9 pm west coast time. hope this helps, Bill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.