86 Deville,swap 4.1 for 4.9.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 86 Deville,swap 4.1 for 4.9..... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I needed to know if the 4.9 would bolt in place of the 4.1. It's a 86 Deville FWD. Also, ...
    Deep Sleep is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cool 86 Deville,swap 4.1 for 4.9.....

I needed to know if the 4.9 would bolt in place of the 4.1. It's a 86 Deville FWD. Also, could the 4.9 handle a turbo install. Not talking racing stuff here, Just some extra power on the top-end side. Maybe an extra 100 HP or so. I have heard both side's of the HT4100 history, And being that I'm not going to get rid of my baby and it being a FWD I dont want to try and do a out of family engine swap. I'v had good luck with the HT4100s so far and I dont baby my cars. Thanks for any help people.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Re: 86 Deville,swap 4.1 for 4.9.....

I owned a 87 Deville with the original 4100 for 340k and it ran great, of course it could never keep up with a 4.9 but thats a different story. As for swapping, well I know that the computer swap and sensor changes would drive most people crazy, almost none of it is interchangable. Then you have to find out if the 4100 tranny bell housing will match the bolt pattern of the 4.9 which is a good chance it won't and definietly won't handle the extra 60 or so horses of the 4.9. Then after that you have fuel pressure, exhaust, length of drive axles, and suspension, due to the extra weight to think about. If you are gonna go through all that you might as well put a Northstar in it and go all the way!! Just figured I would give a little advice, good luck with whatever you decide.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    Also, the HT4100 is Digital fuel injection, or TBi, while the 4.9 is PFI....

...on another note, there is a way to put a turbo on a 4.9? hmmmm, I'd like to hear about that.....

Deep Sleep is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 86 Deville,swap 4.1 for 4.9.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Sleep
    I needed to know if the 4.9 would bolt in place of the 4.1. It's a 86 Deville FWD. Also, could the 4.9 handle a turbo install. Not talking racing stuff here, Just some extra power on the top-end side. Maybe an extra 100 HP or so. I have heard both side's of the HT4100 history, And being that I'm not going to get rid of my baby and it being a FWD I dont want to try and do a out of family engine swap. I'v had good luck with the HT4100s so far and I dont baby my cars. Thanks for any help people.
    Thanks for the info. I have changed plans, As this car has only 26,000 miles on it. It is now my wifes daily driver. Have another post about our 83 fleetwood brougham, please check it out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.