Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by devilleman1024 I didnt get a chance to get back on here yesterday to get your advice on ...
    91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Re: Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by devilleman1024
    I didnt get a chance to get back on here yesterday to get your advice on checking the plug after 5 sec. I will be sure to do it in the morning. I did get a chance to check the compression and it was around 195 in #5.... no burnt valve thank god! Im going to change the cap and rotor in the morning and if that dont do it...maybe I got a bad injector its possible since I did put a used 1 in....should have spent the $90 for a new 1. The guy I got it off of guaranteed it would work so he will replace it. I should have known the 1 that was in my car looked better then the 1 he gave me. Is it possible its a computer problem? Could the comp just shut down just 1 cylinder if it was bad or would it do it to all? Thanks for all the help guys.
    First, you can not go by appearances alone, the injector will either work, leak, or remain dormant. A brief start of the engine, then stop, pull the plug inspecting for wetness. Wetness is a good indication of misfire.

The computer will not shut off only one cylinder. There is no program for that.

195 compression from a single cylinder test tells you nothing. The proper way to run a compression test is with all plugs out, and test all cylinders. The difference between the highest and lowest reading should be less than 20%. 10% is very good for an engine with over 100K miles.

Getting the engine to fire on all cylinders should be your goal for now. You can purchase a set of NEW injectors later from eBay or Five-O. There is nothing wrong with keeping a good used part, especially if it fixes the problem.

devilleman1024 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 sedan deville

So if I have a problem in that cylinder testing that one wont tell me anything...doesnt make sense...but what does. All I did is what I was told check the compression in that cylinder. Getting this thing running on all cylinders in definatly my goal I wouldnt be doing all this if it wasnt. By the way what is a normal compression for each cylinder with around 130,000 miles on it. Do you think im on the right track with the cap and rotor and also checking that plug after a short run? Any other advice? Thanks.

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Yes, you are on the right track.

Testing a single cylinder for compression is like brushing one tooth. If that is all you have, then it is adequate.

It would be wise for you to also clean the throttle body and EGR tubes while the engine is down for maintenance. Be sure your negative battery cable is disconnected.

If you have a factory service manual (FSM)

It would be wise for you to check the calibration of your throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle speed control (ISC). They work hand in hand together and should be checked for proper calibration (within tolerances). This procedure can be done without running the engine.

I was told if I have a burnt or stuck valve that I would have low or no pressure in that cylinder and that why I tested that one since that is the only giving me trouble. I will be getting a manual soon so I can do some other repairs. I already cleaned the throttle body and egr tubes

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

I was told if I have a burnt or stuck valve that I would have low or no pressure in that cylinder and that why I tested that one since that is the only giving me trouble. I will be getting a manual soon so I can do some other repairs. I already cleaned the throttle body and egr tubes
    If the injector is the issue just go to a junkyard and get a set of orange topped, injectors from a 91-up Town Car, Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. They fit right in and work perfectly. Then you never have to worry about another one failing. The ones that are in your car now are the Denso injectors, the orange top ones that the ford 4.6 uses are the Bosch equivelent. I just recently tried this on a car I bought to resell and they work perfect.

Blaze

See thats my problem I dont know if it is the injector. Like I said before I know its getting juice because I unplugged the #7 injector and plugged the #5 into it and it fired so I know theres power. Whenever I get motivated enough ill go out there and pull the plug to check for fuel on it to know if the injectors firing. I better do it before football starts or ill never get to it. lol. Thanks for the advice next time im out at the junkyard ill pull a set and put em in.

You will be glad you did.

Blaze

DFBonnett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

See thats my problem I dont know if it is the injector. Like I said before I know its getting juice because I unplugged the #7 injector and plugged the #5 into it and it fired so I know theres power. Whenever I get motivated enough ill go out there and pull the plug to check for fuel on it to know if the injectors firing. I better do it before football starts or ill never get to it. lol. Thanks for the advice next time im out at the junkyard ill pull a set and put em in.
    You could swap #5 injector with #7 injector and see if the problem moves to # 7 cylinder.

Have you tried holding the spark plug wire next to the exhaust or another ground while its running and see if it will shoot a spark out. Compare it to another wire that is firing.

Blaze

sorry guys just got done mowing the grass im pulling the caddy in the garage right now and trying some things that you have suggested ill get back to ya in a sec....keep em coming. Thanks for the help

Ok I pulled the spark plug and yes it does smell of gas and looks wet. I also put the plug wire right up next to a solid ground and no spark. I even switched 5 wire with 7 just to see if I got a bad wire and still no spark. I think im gonna run to the auto parts store and pick up a dist, cap and rotor.

Ok I pulled the spark plug and yes it does smell of gas and looks wet. I also put the plug wire right up next to a solid ground and no spark. I even switched 5 wire with 7 just to see if I got a bad wire and still no spark. I think im gonna run to the auto parts store and pick up a dist, cap and rotor.
    Did you ever get the dist cap and rotor?

Blaze

After you get the situation retified, you might want to change the oil and filter even if it has been 100 miles ago. All that fuel going into the cylinder is ending up in the oil.

Blaze

Yeah I just got the cap and rotor yesterday and it is still not working....i dont know what else to do. Are you serious about the fuel into the oil....I really hope not because its been like this for a while now and I hope it aint gonna mess nothing else up.

Yeah I just got the cap and rotor yesterday and it is still not working....i dont know what else to do. Are you serious about the fuel into the oil....I really hope not because its been like this for a while now and I hope it aint gonna mess nothing else up.
    try switching the wires with the new cap and rotor and see if the problem switches as well.

Blaze

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.