Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by N0DIH (don't take this as a flame, by all means I am not, I just hate seeing ...
    youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

Re: Fuel Injectors 94 Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    (don't take this as a flame, by all means I am not, I just hate seeing people get ripped by unscrupulous people selling junkyard junk as something it is not)

There is no such thing as rebuilt injectors. There is CLEANED injectors, but you CANNOT rebuild them. They are crimped together and cannot come apart without destrution.

Do not waste $$ on so called rebuilts, they don't last, they are just someone elses junk. I could go into a junkyard, yank every injector, make a custom spray bench, ohm the injectors and prove the spray is good and go into business selling "rebuilt", that is all they are, if you are lucky enough to get at least that done. At least there is a warranty.

fiveo is selling VERY low mileage takeouts, for the same price. You know they came out and weren't 200K mile specials that someone ran the cheapest gas through they could. Mine were from Ford 4.6's, had est 1K miles on them. They were in good shape, likely was the case.

fiveo's is lifetime warranty and about the same price. I know, 10y or lifetime, likely the samething....

It does seem the Bosch injectors are good quality, you don't see many fail. My 90 Aerostar had them, and 275K miles (with 3.73 gears and 25 in tall tires), so there is a LOT of firings there. Most are the orange top Bosch injectors that get sold.

New Accel injectors at Summit were around $230 last year, so that is also a good choice, they are new too.
    The bosch ones I bought are the same as the 4.6 Ford engine thats is in my town car and the police car?

Blaze

devilleman1024 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 sedan deville

ok im about to lose it! today i changed the injector and the cylinder is still not working....could it be a burnt valve? I guess i need to do a compression test. I'll pick up a gauge tomorrow and do it. I dont know what else is left. Anybody know what else i should try? Ive changed the plugs, wires, and now injectors and #5 cylinder is still not firing. When i changed the plug it was black and smelled of gas...that made me think that the injector was firing just wasnt getting spark..maybe i should change my cap and rotor...but i dont know. The car idles fine and sounds and feels strong but at around 45 if i try to give it any gas it sounds horrible and starts to shimmy and shake so i have to slow down. Needless to say this can be a pain in the butt having to stay around 40 mph. PLEASE HELP! Before i find a tree to wrap this thing around.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Check the rocker arm fulcrums. These are the same or very similar to the Olds ones and they do wear over time. I swapped all mine on my Olds 350 and it was a nice performance improvement and quieted the engine significantly. If one is broken, (which Olds had problems with), it will miss for sure.

to check just take off the vave cover? How will i know if its worn?

DFBonnett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by devilleman1024
    ok im about to lose it! today i changed the injector and the cylinder is still not working....could it be a burnt valve? I guess i need to do a compression test. I'll pick up a gauge tomorrow and do it. I dont know what else is left. Anybody know what else i should try? Ive changed the plugs, wires, and now injectors and #5 cylinder is still not firing. When i changed the plug it was black and smelled of gas...that made me think that the injector was firing just wasnt getting spark..maybe i should change my cap and rotor...but i dont know. The car idles fine and sounds and feels strong but at around 45 if i try to give it any gas it sounds horrible and starts to shimmy and shake so i have to slow down. Needless to say this can be a pain in the butt having to stay around 40 mph. PLEASE HELP! Before i find a tree to wrap this thing around.
    If you had a burned valve, you would feel that at idle also. Are you getting any codes? Have you had the distributor cap off and looked at the contacts?

p098 in history but thats it....i havent had the cap off yet but i will...what am i looking for? thanks for the help

Look for any damage to the contact for #5 both inside and outside of the cap.

i just looked at the contacts they looked fine but the only thing i can see is when i lift the cap off and the part that stays on the car has a center contact and it has black around it like there has been some serious arching is that normal?

That's the rotor. There usually is some crap on it but not a lot. How does the tip that touches the contacts inside the cap look? Can you wiggle any of the contacts on the cap? They should be tight.

just went and checked contacts are fine not a wiggle. anything else.by the way let me ask you how much work is involved in changing a burnt valve? also how much do you think a shop would charge....the only reason i ask is people keep telling me its that.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

You only did half a tune-up. Never ever ever ever replace plugs and not the cap and rotor. If the cap or rotor is bad it will ruin your plugs you just spent all that time putting on. Replace the cap and the rotor. Since it is narrowed to one cylinder I would check that tower and see what gives. What I mean by tower is where the plug wire for that cylinder attaches to the cap. Look on the underside. In fact, just replace it.

Blaze

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

If you start hearing any tapping at all, that is a good sign that they are pretty bad. You can take them off and look, but find out the proper torque to torque them back, do not guess!! Use a torque wrench!

In my opinion, any car over 100K is worn enough to replace. Probably the only way to check is to get a new one and measure it compared to an old one. They are aluminum with steel arms rubbing on them with lots of force. It wears fast...

Quote Originally Posted by devilleman1024
    to check just take off the vave cover? How will i know if its worn?

ok ill finish the tune up. Anybody else got anything else i can check? thanks again fo all the help

If you start the car, and run for about 5 seconds, shut down, then remove #5 plug, is it wet?

I didnt get a chance to get back on here yesterday to get your advice on checking the plug after 5 sec. I will be sure to do it in the morning. I did get a chance to check the compression and it was around 195 in #5.... no burnt valve thank god! Im going to change the cap and rotor in the morning and if that dont do it...maybe I got a bad injector its possible since I did put a used 1 in....should have spent the $90 for a new 1. The guy I got it off of guaranteed it would work so he will replace it. I should have known the 1 that was in my car looked better then the 1 he gave me. Is it possible its a computer problem? Could the comp just shut down just 1 cylinder if it was bad or would it do it to all? Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.