What a stupid place for an oil filter!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, What a stupid place for an oil filter!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1991 4.9 engine. I keep my engine VERY clean. I even armorall the plastic components under the hood to extreme. ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What a stupid place for an oil filter!!

1991 4.9 engine. I keep my engine VERY clean. I even armorall the plastic components under the hood to extreme. The filter is beside and a little lower to the air filter, at a sharp angle. When you change it, you get oil all over the engine! Then the oil goes on the exhaust manifold and puts a healthy stench in the cab when you drive. Why didn't they put it under the car near the pan like so many other cars? I mean you have to go down there anyway to remove the pan bolt. Just wondering if anyone elso has a beef with this? However it is something I can live with.

And one other thing. Why don't they just make ONE SIZE for all oil filters? They could just make one universal size for all cars, man all them numbers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: What a stupid place for an oil filter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    And one other thing. Why don't they just make ONE SIZE for all oil filters? They could just make one universal size for all cars, man all them numbers!
    Because say you needed a filter for your '70 cadillac then another dude came in for his civic, the universal filter would probably be in the middle of the two, not being big enough for the caddy, and being too big for the civic. That's why there isn't just one size fits all.

I know, but for example: My Merc 5.0 used a PH8A which was twice as big as the filter for my 4.9 Caddy, but practically the same size engine!? I understand there are different threading sizes for the shaft, etc. but I still say it could be done.

Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special
    One time I took the car to the dealer for an oil change, and I guess they spilled some oil when they were they changing the filter. Well, they used some rags to soak it up but they did take them out after!!!
    The oily rag on the hot exhaust manifold started smoking on the way home. Lucky it didn't catch on fire.

Anyways, a trick you can try is to cut a 2L bottle in half and use it to catch any dripping oil and the filter when you unscrew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew60SP
    One time I took the car to the dealer for an oil change, and I guess they spilled some oil when they were they changing the filter. Well, they used some rags to soak it up but they did take them out after!!!
    The oily rag on the hot exhaust manifold started smoking on the way home. Lucky it didn't catch on fire.

Anyways, a trick you can try is to cut a 2L bottle in half and use it to catch any dripping oil and the filter when you unscrew it.
    That's a good little trick. Maybe next time I will just put some old rags under the filter before I change it to catch the mess, then I will be SURE to remove them.

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    That's a good little trick. Maybe next time I will just put some old rags under the filter before I change it to catch the mess, then I will be SURE to remove them.
    You can also use a large sandwich bag. After breaking the filter loose, slip the bag over the filter, then unscrew it. Keeps the oil off your hands, as well as the block.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    oh, i's a horrid place for the filter..... when I had to change it, I got everything (this is before I had my license) got home, after 30min, found the filter (I was looking under the car for it) drained the oil, then realized I did not have a fitler tool, so I bugged my mother to take me out again, and I got the tool, got home, tool was too big, got real pissed, I had little room to work with from the plastic ait thingy and the exhaust pipe right there, so then I got my screw driver and after about 10mintues, finally got it through, then oil started going all over the engine, tranny and onto the ground (missed the cardboard I had under the car) so when I moved it, it only moved 1/4" so I had to end up doing that 3 times, it was friggin crazy....a 20min job turned into 3 1/3 hours, my hands were cut and bloody from the plastic air intake thing, it was a real pain. I now have the correct tool, although it is a paint to get to the filter. Oh, and I saved this fitler, as my first oil change filter on the Caddy and just to save it. Here are some pictures:

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    oh, i's a horrid place for the filter..... when I had to change it, I got everything (this is before I had my license) got home, after 30min, found the filter (I was looking under the car for it) drained the oil, then realized I did not have a fitler tool, so I bugged my mother to take me out again, and I got the tool, got home, tool was too big, got real pissed, I had little room to work with from the plastic ait thingy and the exhaust pipe right there, so then I got my screw driver and after about 10mintues, finally got it through, then oil started going all over the engine, tranny and onto the ground (missed the cardboard I had under the car) so when I moved it, it only moved 1/4" so I had to end up doing that 3 times, it was friggin crazy....a 20min job turned into 3 1/3 hours, my hands were cut and bloody from the plastic air intake thing, it was a real pain. I now have the correct tool, although it is a paint to get to the filter. Oh, and I saved this fitler, as my first oil change filter on the Caddy and just to save it. Here are some pictures:
    I forgot you guys have the exhaust crossover up there. Mine's an Allante - the exhaust goes under the block. More room around the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Those are great pics, LOL! I had a hard time not laughing at what your poor filter looked like trying to get it off!! I don't think the RWD guys appreciate what we go through on these sideways engines. In the words of one of your recent presidents: " I feel your pain."

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    I never had a problem with the filter being up there on the FWD that've changed the oil on before. At least the oil gets on the engine and not on your arm like what happens underneat the car depending on where they put them.

When I worked in a shop the cars I hated doing oil changes on the most were Sunbirds and Cavaliers. The filter is way up there near the frame where you can barely fit your arm... and the filter.

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    I never had a problem with the filter being up there on the FWD that've changed the oil on before. At least the oil gets on the engine and not on your arm like what happens underneat the car depending on where they put them.

When I worked in a shop the cars I hated doing oil changes on the most were Sunbirds and Cavaliers. The filter is way up there near the frame where you can barely fit your arm... and the filter.
    I have a pretty good system going when i change my oil. I lay down a tarp and drive my car over the tarp. Then i jack up the front and drain the oil. To get to the filter i stick rags all around to catch the oil then i put a funnel with a tube that goes where the oil pan is under the car. So when i take off the filter and spill some it goes right into the funnel and if it misses the funnel i got the rags. The tarp is so i don't stain the driveway.

That filters nothing. One time my friend's filter wouldn't come off his '61 galaxie, so my friend takes a screwdriver and jabs it in trying to get leverage on it and take it off, but it wouldn't come off, so it basically tore half the filter off and the other half was still screwed in. He finally got it off with some chanel locks and needle nose pliers. I have no idea how he got it, but he did.

Quote Originally Posted by MMNineInchNails
    That filters nothing. One time my friend's filter wouldn't come off his '61 galaxie, so my friend takes a screwdriver and jabs it in trying to get leverage on it and take it off, but it wouldn't come off, so it basically tore half the filter off and the other half was still screwed in. He finally got it off with some chanel locks and needle nose pliers. I have no idea how he got it, but he did.
    Yeah I've heard about the screwdriver punch trick, problem is, you had better hope you don't have to drive somewhere if it still doesn't work! Plus, that must be messy. Leverage is a problem with some cars. For changing plugs on our FWD Pontiac, I have to go back and forth about 50 times with the socket wrench because there is just no place for extra swing or leverage, but it is doable.

I guess sometimes I would rather have it on my arm than my clean engine.

Well the filter hadent been changed in probably 5 years so it was on there pretty good. The car was sitting for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MMNineInchNails
    Well the filter hadent been changed in probably 5 years so it was on there pretty good. The car was sitting for a while.
    Yes, that's another thing. Last year I took my big-ass Merc to an oil change place and I guess they tightened the filter so tight that when it came time for me to do another change, I could not get the filter off. I mean I practically tore my shoulder off in the process! So I had to pour the old oil back in the crankcase and go back there because I was very mad! I have always hand-tightened my oil filters, and I don't think they need a filter wrench to put them on, just to take them off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.