What a stupid place for an oil filter!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, What a stupid place for an oil filter!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by JJhomer83 I have a pretty good system going when i change my oil. I lay down a ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: What a stupid place for an oil filter!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    I have a pretty good system going when i change my oil. I lay down a tarp and drive my car over the tarp. Then i jack up the front and drain the oil. To get to the filter i stick rags all around to catch the oil then i put a funnel with a tube that goes where the oil pan is under the car. So when i take off the filter and spill some it goes right into the funnel and if it misses the funnel i got the rags. The tarp is so i don't stain the driveway.
    I usually lay cardboard or newspapers out if it is not too windy, so I don't mess my dad's driveway! I learned to never take the filter off first because I think it is best to drain the pan first, then less comes from the filter hole. Also, if you jack the car higher while it's draining, sometimes you can get more old oil out of the crankcase, depending on your pan of course. What I don't understand is my 5.0 Merc, it had two oil pan drain plugs, and only a little oil came out from the further back plug. I still cannot figure out why Ford didnot design an oil pan that was countoured so it all flows out nicely, like GM, so you only need one plug.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    Fords idea of the 2 plugs is actually probably better. It depends on where the deeper part of the pan is, but you're almost always going to have some oil left in there. Having the 2 plugs just helps get more out.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    Here are a few more of the pics form that oil change....

....my hand was all scraped, bleeding, spliced my finger, but didn't realize it until I felt something besides oil dripping down my hand, put bandaid on etc.... I was worried about the oil on the exhaust pipe and engine, can't that start a fire?

In one of the pictures, you can see where the oil was dripping form one of the 5 spots and missed the paper towels I had down, the cardboard and the bucket thingy, the EPA would love that

Night Wolf, I'm starting to feel sorry for you now. I like your pics, do you document all your more painful oil changes?? LOL. Your paint looks great, is it original, was it redone??

When I'm under a car straining my neck sideways, I'd rather not have two drain plugs to turn, even if it is a Ford.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    When I had a '91 Seville, I changed the oil one morning after it sat overnight. I unscrewed the filter and there was no mess 'cause it drained down while it sat.

After I found that out,when I would change the oil while it was warm, I used to punch a hole by the top lip of the filter to let the filter drain down before I started draining the pan. When I would get to changing the filter, I put rags underneath it. Minimum mess.

I've changed oil filters the same way on Mazda rotary engines. Punch a hole to break the vacuum so the oil would drain out first.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    The paint is origanal....there are some rock chips on the hood and parts of the fenders...although small, there was more on the rocker panels, but now that stopped since I put the splash guards on......of course all the blemishes are only noticbale about 1-2feet from the car, but I know they are there....

the color is Gunmetal Charcoal...and so far I have NEVER seem ANY Cadillac with this color, let alone any other car...it is very rare....plus I have gold badges

interrior is neutral shale.

I always take pics of things...... then I have digital photo albums on my computer, I like to keep pictures, always remember things better that way

Night Wolf, that's a great color and I have never seen it either. I wonder how rare it is?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.