best oil for high mileage 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, best oil for high mileage 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just wondering what engine oil would be the best for 4.9 with 143k miles. It is not necessarily driven daily; ...
    blkchrry92dvl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

best oil for high mileage 4.9

Just wondering what engine oil would be the best for 4.9 with 143k miles. It is not necessarily driven daily; I do several short-distance driving per week, and about 1-2 hrs of driving on weekends. It will be winter here in Minnesota soon (read: very cold), so what brand & viscosity would be the best (if other than 10w-30)? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: best oil for high mileage 4.9

When I lived in Ohio I never used thicker than 5w-30. The slightly thinner viscosity helps to get the oil pumping when it's cold in the pan.
    You might also want to think about going 1 heat range hotter on your spark plugs if you only make short trips.

blkchrry92dvl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob2231
    When I lived in Ohio I never used thicker than 5w-30. The slightly thinner viscosity helps to get the oil pumping when it's cold in the pan.
    You might also want to think about going 1 heat range hotter on your spark plugs if you only make short trips.

uh... what do you mean by 1 heat range hotter on spark plugs (I'm not too bright a mechanic here, haha). But, thanks for your input on thinner oil for winter use; I also thought about that in the past, but I always thought I should stick to manufacturer suggested 10w-30. Also, my idle seems rougher when the car is not level (and sounds funny, as if it's not getting enough lubrication throughout); does this happen in any other 4.9 cars? I know these engines have rough idle by nature, but it seems distinctly worse when on steep grade.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by bob2231
    That's why I use platinums in my cars, they get up to the optimum operating temp supposedly in seconds to burn off excess fouling, and forms a more complete burn for better combustion, and better fuel economy. The owners manual for my 1991 4.9 says never use 10w40, "the engine will run best with 10w30. However you can use SAE 5w30 if it's going to be colder than 60f before your next oil change. When it's very cold, below 0 F you should use 5w30."

I plan to use 10w30 synthetic because synthetic stays fluid even at -50. And I would still be keeping with the recommended viscosity for the oil.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Oh ya, I'm getting 18-20 mpg city and up to 35 on the highway!! Perhaps low mileage has something to do with this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.