The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; my friend has a turbo legacy and i remember him saying something about a turbo timer, idk if you have ...
    Adumb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood

Re: The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread.

my friend has a turbo legacy and i remember him saying something about a turbo timer, idk if you have one or if its even needed, but i guess it continues to run oil through the turbo after you shut the car off to prevent damage to the turbo. im not 100% sure, but if you havent already it might be worth a look.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hey Illumina, be careful with that wastegate, it needs to dump every so often when your idling.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

A blow off valve is what releases pressure when you let off and the throttle blades close. A turbo timer lets the engine idle for an amount of time before shutting it off in order to circulate oil to cool the turbo to avoid damage. You can of course do it yourself by sitting in the car for a minute before you shut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    No. Nitrous is not an option. It will probably kill the bottom end the first time I press the button.

Turbocharging is a much better option in terms of longevity and efficiency. And besides, nitrous will destroy the stock pistons in these engines on the first run...No No No...Not an option...Beside, nitrous is not real horsepower.

As it stands right now, I may be looking at a nice 75 hp increase from the turbo on 4-6 psi of boost which will be apparent through a decent range (2500-4500 rpm's) when compared to nitrous. It will not be as tough on the bottom end and pistons as long as I tune things right.

Nitrous you say? No no no no no!
    As long as you keep it rich enough, nitrous isn't really going to be any worse for your engine than a turbo that adds comparable power... The transaxle is the more concerning issue anyway and having the ability to run nitrous only when needed instead of a turbo which will produce boost a lot of the time is probably better for it. But you obviously already have the turbo plan in action, so the point is moot. Oh, and nitrous is very real hp according to my in car ass-dyno.

Not real sure what RB is talking about... a wastegate allows exhaust to bypass the turbo to keep it from making over a set amount of boost. At idle it's not gonna be making boost anyway so the wastegate will remain closed.

Quote Originally Posted by kmhebert
    And I am seriously interested in hearing of any potential performance boosts for my Brougham; I love everything about it except the slothlike acceleration.
    You my friend, need an extra 193 cubic inches. A 500 will solve that sluggish performance problem pretty well, then spray a 150 shot... oh yeah it'll move pretty good, do mid 13s sound good?

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Illumina first we need to find a way to regualt the boost in stages , we dont really need 6 psi all the time ....so perhaps once we get the ECU stuff worked out we can then find a way to do a varible boost controll , i figured out a way to do this with that B&M shift improver i have laying around .....Might get the transaxel to live alot longer if we arent lopeing along on boost all the time ....

For intercooling i acutally half arse mounted one of my 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo Intercoolers i have laying around , its pretty small but good enough i think for a single turbo running that low boost of 6 psi. Fits the car pretty well , im thinking a electric fan from one fo those Tranny Cooler kits would fit nicely on it and keep air moving over the intercooler so i can mount it on an angle so at the strip i can set a bag of ice on it ....

I think RB is talking about a blow off valve ...only needed dureing shifts at high boost , keeps it from going into a overboost situation int he time between shifts ....we need to check what the GNX guys run , there turbocharged and automatic trannys. May not really need a blow off valve running the low boost and automatic tranny.

I acutally think wheelspin may be a saving grace illumina , that will keep us out of the intial heavy ammount of torque that kills these engines. Ive seen what they will do to these trannys now when a very high "kick" hits them , the trick will be to slowly feed it boost off the line ....Feeding 300lb ft off a dead stop is going to be alot harder on it then starting it off with a close to stock torque figure out fo the hole....so either a nice ammount of lag or wheel spin shuld keep these trannys alive...basicly try to maintain stock 60 footers , make up the diffrence down track...

sorry i was out for the weekend , got a little angry and decided i needed a internet break

BTW I have 2 of those 300ZX coolers , let me know if you want one ...just pay me to ship it to you ....

got em for free years ago off a 300z that went off a cliff just south of fairbanks ...

yah i know ....seems alot of cars go off cliffs up there ..dont know what it is , they got me too...

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    BTW I have 2 of those 300ZX coolers , let me know if you want one ...just pay me to ship it to you ....
    What are the dimensions of that intercooler?

I need to know overall height (^) by overall width (< >) by core width (<O>) if you catch my meaning...

Could you post a picture of one so I could see where it might fit in the car and such?

I wasn't going to run one with the lower boost, but it sure wouldn't hurt any...Let me know!!! Thanks Stoney...

I dont have the dimentions or the unit handy , its right now in my dads racecar trailer ...im gonna get it and the rest of my turbo goodies this week and taken them down to my storage unit ....but heres a pic of it and what it was going to go into ...the intercooler sat inside the front bumper on a 300zx , very similar to the unit found on mitsubishi eclipse , altho this is a smidgen bigger

dont worry i took that pic of the dirty one , ill send you the clean one ....

the car is my g20 , i never posted a pic of it in one peice , thats by the chena fllod channel outside north pole alaska ....wish i could get the caddy up there just to get a shot like that again ....

I dont have the dimentions or the unit handy , its right now in my dads racecar trailer ...im gonna get it and the rest of my turbo goodies this week and taken them down to my storage unit ....but heres a pic of it and what it was going to go into ...the intercooler sat inside the front bumper on a 300zx , very similar to the unit found on mitsubishi eclipse , altho this is a smidgen bigger

dont worry i took that pic of the dirty one , ill send you the clean one ....

the car is my g20 , i never posted a pic of it in one peice , thats by the chena fllod channel outside north pole alaska ....wish i could get the caddy up there just to get a shot like that again ....

I see two larger holes there opposite the smaller mounting threads. Are those for water injection? Or are those larger mounting threads?

As for the size, it's not too big which is good for the low boost I'll be running, and since I was considering running no cooler at all, it will do just fine. When you get the chance, please post the measurements.

sure ill post some measurements.....

no, the larger holes are also for mounting , that one is a left front intercooler.

sure ill post some measurements.....

no, the larger holes are also for mounting , that one is a left front intercooler.
    Thanks for the sticky!

At the local junk yard, there is a Saab with a very nice intercooler for $25.00 (all intercoolers are that price there). The thing is though, it seems awful large for my application and in terms of where I can fit it...I still may have you ship the one you have Stoney at my expense once I have the actual measurements.

I should also point out that I have ripped every turbo hose off of every car that had a turbocharger that I could find...They're not bad looking either...

Also, I am going to order a boost regulator so as long as I can dial back the boost. With the controlled nature of the wastegate on the Warner-Ishi, I don't know if it will be useful. Once I recieve the turbocharger from Canada (that's where it shipped from), I will have a clear idea on things like this.

I'll let everyone know and post a picture of it and the other supplies I have later this week.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    ... Once I recieve the turbocharger from Canada (that's where it shipped from), I will have a clear idea on things like this. ....
    Oh Geez! Don't let Ralph see this post. If he finds out your part came from Canada we'll never hear the end of it. :banghead2

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Oh Geez! Don't let Ralph see this post. If he finds out your part came from Canada we'll never hear the end of it. :banghead2

It's from Canada, well then it probably won't work anyway!

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph

It's from Canada, well then it probably won't work anyway!
    DOE!!! See?! I knew it!!!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

This IS what hot-rodding is all about. You've got balls for sure. I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking that a high-mileage 4.9 with 9.5:1 compression is NOT the best candidate for a turbo. Good-luck with it.
    BTW, who have you checked with on getting a custom ECM or PROM? I'd talk to Ed Wright at http://www.FastChip.com , he may have some input for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    This IS what hot-rodding is all about. You've got balls for sure. I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking that a high-mileage 4.9 with 9.5:1 compression is NOT the best candidate for a turbo. Good-luck with it.
    Yeah, I realize that with high milage and the compression that the tuning process may be short...I'm running relativly low boost levels, so it should be somewhat ok...But she certainly will not last forever. I hope by the time everything is tuned properly, I will have the new 4.9 with all of the extra goodies finished...In time for "stage 2."

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    BTW, who have you checked with on getting a custom ECM or PROM? I'd talk to Ed Wright at http://www.FastChip.com , he may have some input for you.
    I did talk to Ed Wright and they told me that there is nothing they can do with the Cadillac ECM in regards to what I need for this project. They'll only worry about the basics like the timing and speed limiter...They told me that it has something to do with the lack of demand for tuning a Cadillac the way I am doing and that it wouldn't be benificial to them...

If I had the right (read expensive) equiptmemnt for the job, i.e. prom reader/eraser, software, misc. hardware, then I would do the ECM myself. Reading and interpreting code isn't all that hard. The only thing I probably wouldn't be able to do is a 2-bar MAP for this ECM...I'll work the fuel tables by fuel enrichment vs. RPM's if that's the case, which just might do the trick.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.