The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread. - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Nothing free, but not bad cost. And I should be able to set it up to do real time tuning ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: The "4.9 liter turbocharger, stage 1" thread.

Nothing free, but not bad cost.

And I should be able to set it up to do real time tuning with some extra work. That is slick, I mean REAL slick!

The cost isn't trivial to get in, there are cheap routes to go, but not the safest either.

You need a PROM Burner, UV Light, Memcal adapters, PROM's (some are tough to get), software, understanding how to use the software, understanding on how to tune.

Illumina, when we going to the turbo 4.9L going? The shorter stroke 4.5L PFI is also a good choice. Being alum block and not a performance engine, 300 hp is about as far as I would go to start, but it is very doable.

Also, I have found M90 Eaton Superchargers low cost, $50-$150 (check sinister-drag designs for parts, http://www.sinisterdd.com/) and you can make up something that is pretty darn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    There have been many a tuner if you visit www.fiero.nl boards, there was a turbo 4.5L using stock ECU with auto trans that was chip tuned by a fella in Canada, there are many others. Also, on pre-OBD vehicles the proms could be burned with a few different prom burners and freeware software...

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

IMO, id love to supercharge my 4.9 over a turbo

Will have to look into it. Give me some time, I don't have a 4.9L to look at right now, need to scare up some good underhood picts.

The trans may not live long, swapping to a 4T65E-HD from a SC Buick would be highly recommended. A 4T80E would love the abuse even more....And we know it fits.

the question is how much the 4.9L can handle.....

http://www.drivetrain.com/frontwheel...itraction.html will help a lot.

IIRC you don't need to remove the trans to install the diff, so if you (Illumina!) have a LSD to drop in, GO FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzal View Post
    IMO, id love to supercharge my 4.9 over a turbo

Vash is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by illumina View Post
    Much to my chagrin, there will be no hacking of the Cadillac ECM. Rockcrawl has pretty much set me strait on this issue from an email today.

That said, there are currently four options that I am will to try:

a.) Megasquirt (MS) fuel system. I would use this system to run two TBI injectors in reference to boost. There will basically be an extra fuel pump, feed line, and return line feeding the TBI system for auxiliary fuel supply. Because the MS system reads over 2 bars, fuel wouldn't come on until boost is being made if I so choose...

b.) 454 TBI setup. Tom, I would like to know exactly how to power the injectors and what parts I need to make this work. Please let me know because I cannot find the information you gave me a while back...

For both of the above systems, I will have to adapt the throttle position sensor from the current 4.9 liter setup to work with the TBI setup. It's all a matter of tuning then.

c.) Another ECM that will read boost. This will be especially difficult because of the Cadillac BCM will not be able to function without the stock ECM...

d.) MSD fuel management unit. This device gives extra voltage to the fuel pump, which in turn overdrives the injectors. Along with higher flow injectors and a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator, this is an option. The thing about this setup is the lack of tuning that can be done...

Please feel free to give any extra options if there are any...
    You may want to look into the AEM F/IC-8 (Fuel / Ignition Controller) as an option.

ChadTanner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Four year anniversary Bump.

You must be ready to start "stage 5" by now.

Being Illumina should be at stage 5 now, a good thought to upgrade the trans....

http://www.bonnevillepro.com/forums/...hp?f=36&t=9643

Capt Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey guys, long long time no chat. I'll start a separate thread so I don't jack this one, but figured you might like to see this link. He is one of our Local Fiero's with the Caddy 4.9 in his Fiero and is going to toss a 4.5 into one of his other Fiero's but the kicker is that it will be Turbo'ed, Page 4 has most of the Turbo related stuff. He was going to use a nice tiny turbo, for quick spool, however the 4.9 in a Fiero all most makes too much torque down low. So a tiny turbo would have been the wrong way to go, he has since decided on a much larger unit that won't spool until at least 2500rpms. Then keep the boost set around 10psi all the way to the top.

Well here is the link, http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/for...207&PN=1&TPN=4 http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/for...207&PN=1&TPN=4

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Will have to look into it. Give me some time, I don't have a 4.9L to look at right now, need to scare up some good underhood picts.

The trans may not live long, swapping to a 4T65E-HD from a SC Buick would be highly recommended. A 4T80E would love the abuse even more....And we know it fits.

the question is how much the 4.9L can handle.....

http://www.drivetrain.com/frontwheel...itraction.html will help a lot.

IIRC you don't need to remove the trans to install the diff, so if you (Illumina!) have a LSD to drop in, GO FOR IT!
    so your saying both of them trans will swap in to a 4.9 with no problems . do you happen to have any idea what other trans would swap in to a 4.5 with no problems .or is there mods you can do on then to make them vacuum shift instead of electronic

You can't easily convert a E model to non E, too much to change and it would never be right. You would be in a ton of $$ into custom parts. Transmissions aren't like engines.

The 3100/3400/3500/3800/3900 (V6)/4.1L/4.5L/4.9L/4.6L (FWD) are the "narrow" FWD pattern, they fit the 60 degree V6 4L60 trans and the FWD 4Tx0E/4Tx0/4T65E/4T80E trans and 3Tx0 transmissions.

I think there is some trans controllers that can be made to work, but they aren't cheap. It would probably be easier to EFI the engine and use a PCM that controls engine and transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    so your saying both of them trans will swap in to a 4.9 with no problems . do you happen to have any idea what other trans would swap in to a 4.5 with no problems .or is there mods you can do on then to make them vacuum shift instead of electronic

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

mines already efi its a 90 4.5pfi . it seams to share alot of the same parts that the 4.9 dose all except for the trans is about the only thing i can think of that is different right off the top of my head . so now the question is could i just use a ecm out of a 91 and use an electronically controlled trans. but heck while im at if it would fit ide just throw a 4.9 in there and call it a day

CallMeCrazy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is a far cry from the GM3 being discussed earlier but still a pretty good deal for the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GARRE...Q5fAccessories Garrett GT40 sized TA51.

I havent looked through most of this thread sicne my posts ont he GM3 but....have you ended up using it?

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

So illumina, you still lurking around here anywhere? It would be depressing to think I'm the only one still doing/planning major power upgrades for the 4.9!

raymondlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

this would be nice.

Capt Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This is one of my friends in the club, I had been talking about doing this mod and he decided to jump up and do it. His is on an Auto 4.9 so mine will have to be a bit diffrent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.