egr valve - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, egr valve in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Would a clogged egr valve cause the fuel canister to saturate and leak and cause the car to stop running ...
    Sherrill is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: egr valve

Would a clogged egr valve cause the fuel canister to saturate and leak and cause the car to stop running after being on the freeway for say, 30-40 minutes? I can drive the car 4 miles to work just fine, no problem. He'll drive it to work (30 miles) and when he gets off the freeway it dies. It'll start back up just fine for him.

History: We bought an '85 Seville 6 mths ago (we thought our 18 yr. old son would take it - ha, ha) with only 79,000 miles on it.
    We replaced the canister after about 3 months thinking it was malfunctioning (found fuel leaking). Drove it a bit more (2 weeks) - it filled up and leaked fuel again, traded it in thinking we bought a defective part. Still leaks. We've disconnected a couple hoses connected to it (our regular mechanic's suggestion - he's very good but limited) temporarily.

After finding this wonderful site and reading some here, took it to a "caddy" mechanic and suggested he check the EGR valve. He looked at the engine and immediately said the wires (Bosch?) we bad, (I read here that brand is fine). He suggested a tune up - wires, plugs, rotor, dist. cap plus a throttle body and fuel system cleaning and a new EGR valve. Said the EGR was stuck open (or closed?) Forgive my vagueness, I'm relying on memory, my est. is at home.

My husband (not a mechanic but does know a little and understands more of what we were told -- specifically about this 4100) is trying to do most of the work. He's replaced the plugs so far - and cussed the whole time. From what I'm reading, I'm afraid when he starts digging in to work on the EGR he may just lose it.

I'll keep reading. Sorry to be so winded.
    Attached Images

Adumb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrill
    He's replaced the plugs so far - and cussed the whole time.
    haha, me and my dad changed the plugs wires, dist. cap and rotor on my 83 fleetwood, and i remember the plug in cylinder 8 i think it would be (pass. side, all the way back) was nearly impossible to get to. the compressor was in the way. it sucked even trying to get to the dist. cap and rotor.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrill
    Would a clogged egr valve cause the fuel canister to saturate and leak and cause the car to stop running after being on the freeway for say, 30-40 minutes? I can drive the car 4 miles to work just fine, no problem. He'll drive it to work (30 miles) and when he gets off the freeway it dies. It'll start back up just fine for him.

History: We bought an '85 Seville 6 mths ago (we thought our 18 yr. old son would take it - ha, ha) with only 79,000 miles on it.
    We replaced the canister after about 3 months thinking it was malfunctioning (found fuel leaking). Drove it a bit more (2 weeks) - it filled up and leaked fuel again, traded it in thinking we bought a defective part. Still leaks. We've disconnected a couple hoses connected to it (our regular mechanic's suggestion - he's very good but limited) temporarily.

After finding this wonderful site and reading some here, took it to a "caddy" mechanic and suggested he check the EGR valve. He looked at the engine and immediately said the wires (Bosch?) we bad, (I read here that brand is fine). He suggested a tune up - wires, plugs, rotor, dist. cap plus a throttle body and fuel system cleaning and a new EGR valve. Said the EGR was stuck open (or closed?) Forgive my vagueness, I'm relying on memory, my est. is at home.

My husband (not a mechanic but does know a little and understands more of what we were told -- specifically about this 4100) is trying to do most of the work. He's replaced the plugs so far - and cussed the whole time. From what I'm reading, I'm afraid when he starts digging in to work on the EGR he may just lose it.

I'll keep reading. Sorry to be so winded.
    If memory serves the 4100 may have a similar egr valve to the 4.9s . If thats the case the mechanic may not have checked the egr valve properly .bbob said The onyl way to check it is to have the car in gear and warm and have someone he trusts crwod the throttle while its in gear . while this is happening he needs to feel under the egr valve for the diaphram to check for its operation , if it moves as the helper crowds the throttle in gear then it is OK. He should check the egr tubes under the throttle plates to make sure there clear , a old wire coathangar is good enough to rod them out so there clean.

but really , i dont think the EGR is going to make the car quit running. You say it just dies coming off the freeway ?

but wait you say its filling up the canister ? I wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is leaking ? try pulling the vaccum line off the regulator ,check to see if fuel leaks out of where the vaccum line attches to the regualtor while the engine is running..... its on the metal line that goes to the fuel injectors looks like a silver UFO with a rubber hose coming out of it...

maybe check to see if the idle speed controll motor is working , its purpose in life is to gently bring the engine back down to a idle speed, ifits not there the car is more likely to die as the throttle plates quickly slam shut.
    This critter sits on the throtle body , and is black in color with a wire conector on one end and a screw with a rubber boot around its shaft ont he other , and is around 4 inches long and 1.5 inches wide.

this is justa couple ideas i have , im really thinking the fuel pressure regulator is what is hurting you....but hopefully someone with more 4.1 experence can help

DrDave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When it dies coming off the freeway it's almost classic signs of the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) failing--it's a solenoid in the transmission pan that controls the automatic operation of the clutch. However, you should first fix the canister problem if it's leaking fuel (it may possibly for whatever reason cause the stalling off the freeway as well and is the easiest fix). It sounds like the problem with the canister is a bad "Canister Purge Control Solenoid". When these go bad (or are hooked up wrong), they can suck in raw fuel from the fuel tank, instead of the vapor that they're supposed to suck in. The dealer should be able to find one for you (runs around $30-40? maybe).

If they can't locate one, you can find one online at www.rockauto.com It's an Emissions component for an '85 Seville, and they call it a "Vapor Canister Purge Valve" -- which is just another name for it. It's an aftermarket part and runs around $30.

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

ForrestAMDXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To Adumb.
    You can get the GM Cooling System Supplement @ any Cadillac Dealer.

I paid $1.84 per pack of six

a bottle of the GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) wouln't be a bad idea also.

I've learned all this on these GREAT forums

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave
    When it dies coming off the freeway it's almost classic signs of the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) failing--it's a solenoid in the transmission pan that controls the automatic operation of the clutch. However, you should first fix the canister problem if it's leaking fuel (it may possibly for whatever reason cause the stalling off the freeway as well and is the easiest fix). It sounds like the problem with the canister is a bad "Canister Purge Control Solenoid". When these go bad (or are hooked up wrong), they can suck in raw fuel from the fuel tank, instead of the vapor that they're supposed to suck in. The dealer should be able to find one for you (runs around $30-40? maybe).

If they can't locate one, you can find one online at www.rockauto.com It's an Emissions component for an '85 Seville, and they call it a "Vapor Canister Purge Valve" -- which is just another name for it. It's an aftermarket part and runs around $30.

Hope that helps, and good luck!!
    doc , i forgot all about the purge solenoid ....good call

knew a 4.1 guru would help out ...

Sherrill is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks. We're going to absorb all this valueable self-help information and start again this weekend if the weather permits. We appreciate everyone's help and expertise.

DrDave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    doc , i forgot all about the purge solenoid ....good call

knew a 4.1 guru would help out ...

Glad to be of assist

84 eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Your EGR valve is fine. Leave it alone. The EGR valve most often mentioned for cleaning is on the Northstar engine...different valve, different part, different design, different system, diffferent problem. Your engine with the throttle body injection rarely , if ever, needs service of the EGR valve or the EGR system.

Hi, If I wanted to change my EGR valve, do you know the correct one from AC Delco? They have about three options. Looking for the AC Delco part #.

Any help would be apprciated!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.