Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by rmonyer Well I "Bit the bullet," I took my car to Cadillac. The visit turned out good. ...
    MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems

Quote Originally Posted by rmonyer
    Well I "Bit the bullet," I took my car to Cadillac. The visit turned out good. They replaced my altenator 1st (it tested bad), and wouldn't you know it......the freakin' car runs normal now? I was told that the altenator was making a "whining" noise (which I knew about) and that the noise was setting off the "knock" sensor that happens to be located near the altenator. This "knock" sensor information was making the computer change the air/fuel mix or something of that sort, which was the reason for my idle and acceleration problems. Wow. All of these weeks, and uneccesary work at a "local joe schmoe" repair shop, to find out if I had replaced the bad altenator (that I knew about) 1st, I would've solved the problem . I say I knew about the altenator because it had a "whining" sound when the engine was idling, and when you accelerated it made a louder, higher pitched sound. Months ago, a mechanic told me that it probably had bad bearings in it. Anyway, the new altenator fixed the problem for a total of $337 installed. I can't complain, I deserved it :banghead2 . I am going to take this car to Cadillac now for anything above oil, filter, tire changes and save myself the hassle. This local Caddy store is Ayres Cadillac in Burlington, NJ. http://www.ayrespontiaccadillac.com/ They are a Christian owned and operated business, and it showed! Friendly service, with a nice, quiet, peaceful service area and showroom. No loud music, no cigarette smoke, no yelling and screaming going on in the service bays. My wife and I were impressed to say the least. I was told that I should get a tune up for another $350-400, and when I priced other shops (Firestone's etc) it was the same cost. So I don't save a buck using the "knock off" shops, plus I get AC Delco parts at the Caddy Dealer. WIN WIN. I am just glad it's all over. I plan to get the tune up in a couple of weeks. I hope this post helps someone else. Thanks to all that commented and tried helping me out. The EGR clean was a definite need and it helped me learn something about my car. Same with the fuel pressure check etc. Thanks again Bbob, kev, and others.
    Im glad your glad. Im glad they made a good impression on you.

I really hope it fixed the problem.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by rmonyer
    ..............They replaced my altenator 1st (it tested bad), and wouldn't you know it......the freakin' car runs normal now? I was told that the altenator was making a "whining" noise (which I knew about)......................
    I say I knew about the altenator because it had a "whining" sound when the engine was idling, and when you accelerated it made a louder, higher pitched sound...........................
    I hope this post helps someone else................................
    Thanks again Bbob, kev, and others.
    I have to say it may help me.
    So must also say Thank You.
    Add your own name to your list of thanx.

My 93 isnt an STS, so no knock sensor I believe.
    But the whining from the alternator that you have described is much too familiar here.
    I was 87% sure that my whine was from the same. But then had a mech tell me it was the power steering pump. Didnt quite believe him. But brought my suretty down to round 70%.
    To here you say that the alternator can create almost ghost like problems has helped. Im up to about 95% now.

Thanx rmonyer.
    Your feed back/update back has been helpfull !

Danowiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 93 sedan that used to idle rough and stall occasionally and now does it more frequently. In 1989 I was an ASE certified master technician working at a Cadillac dealer. I no longer work as a wrench for a living but I did learn one thing when turning wrenches for a living: It is usually easier, cheaper and quicker to listen to someone who has been there before. The first thing I am going to do is to CLEAN MY FRIGGIN EGR TUBES and see if that takes care of it. I'll let you guys know in a few days....

jugrnaut69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Danowiller, did it help? I am having the same issue I will be cleaning mine this weekend. This Post needs to be stickied

rmonyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well everyone, I experienced a short lived "happiness." The new altenator worked good, quieted my engine etc., but didn't fix the overall problem. Another day or so after my post about how great they were at Cadillac, I attempted to drive the car 80 miles to NYC. We didn't make it. The car started having problems keeping speed and seemed to be "sputtering." I pulled off of the freeway and ended up getting a catalytic converter for $590 at Midas. Didn't fix my problem though. It cured the fact that all the sputtering on the freeway ruined my original cat, and it added to the money wasted on trying to save my '93 Deville, but that was it. The next day, I got the car almost home and the sputtering started again. It was sputtering so bad I couldn't drive 5mph! I pulled to the side of the road and looked under the car and noticed the Cat cherry red. I had to get the car towed to the local Caddy shop. Good thing I broke down 5 miles or so from my house and the dealership. After running some tests on the engine, it was determined that the car was to need a timing chain job and some other associated work. $1900 was the estimate. I would also need a new exhaust system from the Catalytic converter back. The new one got ruined (when it got cherry red). Well to shorten my story as much as possible, I traded the Cadillac in for a 2001 Dodge Stratus for my wife. I found a good deal at Dodge dealership and they gave me a little for my Caddy. It's had it's day in my book. 179,000+ miles, but I couldn't afford to keep it running. I am kind of ticked off because in 6 months or so I spent $1700 on a new tranny, $337 on a new Altenator, $590 on a new Catalytic Converter, $40 on a Map sensor, $200 on a new EGR Valve (installed), $80 on a rental car, time off of work, my wife having to get rides from work etc, etc, etc. She was more than fed up , and if any of you are married or have a woman in your life you know that if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy! To get some peace at home (and to maybe be able to get a "piece" again ) I got her another car. So long problem Caddy!

So I will make this my last post. I had hoped I could keep the car running, and was enjoying the information from this site, but it's all over. I have had a nice couple of weeks with no car problems, and I look forward to catching up all the money I wasted. Good luck to you all with your cars.

adalla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would replace the spark plugs. They perhaps original. I replaced mine at 140.000 they had 0.75 gap but the car ran very well. Replaced with ACDelco regulars.

adalla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well, I was not surprised the altenator did not fix anything. Knock sensor at 4.9 ... Huhhh...BS from a Christian stealership! Excuse me. All you probably needed were anew set of wires for some $30 on ebay and 8 plugs for $16. If one or several of your cylinders did not work (even part time) you would easily kill your catalitic converter. It is amasing how easy people trust dealerships and do not want to liste to eople who shere their experience without making a dime!

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Was also wondering about the knock sensor in a 93? Didnt catch where he said it was a 4.9 though. Might have missed that.

Timing, Aternator, Cat convertor, Very expensive items !!!

Would rmonyer have any grounds for some kind of recourse here ???

Whats with the cat going cherry red right after a new one was installed ????

Why is it that there is no culpability when it comes do diagnosing and repairing a vehicle ??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.