Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by rmonyer Murphy G.....Thanks for your HELP. What is the date to-day anyways :drinker Dont thank me man. ...
    Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Re: Engine Idle and "almost" stalling problems

Quote Originally Posted by rmonyer
    Murphy G.....Thanks for your HELP.
    What is the date to-day anyways :drinker
    Dont thank me man.
    Although I do appreciate it It wasnt me that gave you any actuall info.

Feed Back Is Always Nice Though
    Quote Originally Posted by 91TexasSeville
    Did you or did you not resolve the problem?
    Have you had the vehicle retested for emissions yet?
    EH

rmonyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1993 Sedan Deville 4.9 V-8---Well it's been a few weeks since I've updated, so here goes. I haven't cleaned out the EGR tubes, but I should get a chance today (Rained yesterday). The car "supposedly" passed emissions but I don't have the printout from the shop. I picked the car up and it had a new inspection sticker and I had a new bill for repair/inspection. The EGR valve replacement didn't fix the "almost stalling" problems though. Symptoms: When the car is cold, and I step on the gas pedal the car starts to "choke, cough, backfire." It doesn't accelerate. After the car is warm (10 minutes or so), it seems to react to the gas pedal as it should, but occasionally at a stop sign it will have a rough idle (off and on). Work Done: I have had the run rite treatment done, throttle area is clean, fuel filter is new, oil changed, air filter, new tranny installed in Dec '04. Items not done recently: Spark Plugs, Cap, Wires, EGR Tubes Cleaned, Engine Coolant.
    Help! Help! Help! I am about to scream. This car has 175k miles on it, and has always ran like a champ, It sat for 2 years (2002-2004) and then was put back on the road at the end of 2004. It's still driveable, but it's not fun driving a car that act's up, hesitates, won't accelerate etc. I am trying of course to save a few bucks by getting some answers in this forum. Thanks.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

1993 Sedan Deville 4.9 V-8---Well it's been a few weeks since I've updated, so here goes. I haven't cleaned out the EGR tubes, but I should get a chance today (Rained yesterday). The car "supposedly" passed emissions but I don't have the printout from the shop. I picked the car up and it had a new inspection sticker and I had a new bill for repair/inspection. The EGR valve replacement didn't fix the "almost stalling" problems though. Symptoms: When the car is cold, and I step on the gas pedal the car starts to "choke, cough, backfire." It doesn't accelerate. After the car is warm (10 minutes or so), it seems to react to the gas pedal as it should, but occasionally at a stop sign it will have a rough idle (off and on). Work Done: I have had the run rite treatment done, throttle area is clean, fuel filter is new, oil changed, air filter, new tranny installed in Dec '04. Items not done recently: Spark Plugs, Cap, Wires, EGR Tubes Cleaned, Engine Coolant.
    Help! Help! Help! I am about to scream. This car has 175k miles on it, and has always ran like a champ, It sat for 2 years (2002-2004) and then was put back on the road at the end of 2004. It's still driveable, but it's not fun driving a car that act's up, hesitates, won't accelerate etc. I am trying of course to save a few bucks by getting some answers in this forum. Thanks.
    OK, it's gonna be alright now. Step back, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Better? Good. Now just take it one step at a time and finish the list you have posted here above. Plugs, wires, does this model still have a distributer? If so, check, clean/change the cap and rotor. Carefully check all your ignition wires and connections. Be sure to do a good cleaning on the throttle body when you clean the egr tubes and disconnect the neg. bat term for 1 minute for idle re-learn. The coolant or cooling system should not affect the way the engine runs unless it is in very poor condition, though it is vitally important to keep it in tip top shape if you want the engine to last as long as possible. Be sure to use the GM coolant pellets or the Bars Leak Gold after you've flushed the system. Use at least 50/50 antifreeze mix.
    Good luck to you, keep up the fight, I'm sure you will win in the end!

Kev

Actually, rechecking this thread I see that Bbob was the first to respond. He is arguably the best resource for technical advice on this forum, yet you have not acted on his suggestion. Maybe you are not aware of his knowlege and experience, if so, that is certainly forgivable. You may find that cleaning the egr tubes as he prescribed is the sum answer to your problems and subsequent frustrations. Give that a go first before you do anything else and let us know the outcome.

Well Thanks Kev. Yeah, at 1st I didn't know that "Bbob" was the Master but after viewing around the forums, I see he is a great resource. Thanks "Bbob." I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion about cleaning the EGR tubes, I just haven't had the opportunity over the past 3 weeks. (I am on the road alot....Field Service Tech). My wife drives the Caddy, I drive a '98 Mustang GT Vert. Anyway, I still love the Caddy, and am trying to restore it to the way it USED to run when I bought it in 1995. It had power, ran smooth and quiet and was an overall great car. It still is, I am just behind on some repairs, and it needs new paint now. I want to try it tonight (EGR tube clean) but I might not have enough time with other things going on. We'll see. Thanks again. Oh yeah....have to ask: What size bolts are in my path to access the EGR tubes? Asking just in case I need to stop and get the right size sockets etc.? I have a standard set but no metrics.

Kev

Well Thanks Kev. Yeah, at 1st I didn't know that "Bbob" was the Master but after viewing around the forums, I see he is a great resource. Thanks "Bbob." I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion about cleaning the EGR tubes, I just haven't had the opportunity over the past 3 weeks. (I am on the road alot....Field Service Tech). My wife drives the Caddy, I drive a '98 Mustang GT Vert. Anyway, I still love the Caddy, and am trying to restore it to the way it USED to run when I bought it in 1995. It had power, ran smooth and quiet and was an overall great car. It still is, I am just behind on some repairs, and it needs new paint now. I want to try it tonight (EGR tube clean) but I might not have enough time with other things going on. We'll see. Thanks again. Oh yeah....have to ask: What size bolts are in my path to access the EGR tubes? Asking just in case I need to stop and get the right size sockets etc.? I have a standard set but no metrics.
    You will see the egr tubes when you open the throttle. Just take off the air duct and wire the throttle open. The tubes will be looking up at you from there.

"Get 'er done, Son!"

Sounds easy enough. I will do it when I get home tonight.

Well I got the EGR tubes cleaned when I got home after work. I was disappointed to find that 1 tube was completely blocked and the other one was 50% blocked! Friggin' repair shop! Of course they TOLD me that the tubes looked good, but now I think that they didn't even know what an EGR tube was. I used a hangar to clean them at 1st, then went to a long flat tip screwdriver to really scrape away the grime. I then cleaned the "butterfly" valves or whatever you call 'em with a toothbrush, rag, and some WD-40. Didn't have "carb cleaner." Disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes then started the car. The car definitely was "searching" for idle because of the high rpm's I noticed for a few seconds. I then let the car run for a few minutes. It seemed to "run rough" here and there while idling. I then took it for a 10 minute ride around the neighborhood. I ramped up speed and then brought the car to a stop many times. It didn't have a problem ramping down and idling. During the1st few tests when I floored it, the car hesistated while trying to burst into speed. Eventually this went away, and I had that good 'ol 4.9 acceleration response when I "punched" it. When I pressed on the brakes, the car slowed down as normal and idled when I stopped. I am going to try this test again in the morning before my wife takes the car to work. I'll post my results in the morning. Thanks to all that have offered help! Bbob.....You're the man!

This mornings drive? Car seems to be running like a champ. Also, idles nicely at stops, and pulls off aggressively when I get on the gas pedal. Thanks to all! Now maybe my wife will be "nice" to me again since her car will run without problems, because previously she was letting me hear about it everyday. :madtalkin I am amazed at how that 10-15 minute job that I could do myself, would fix this problem.......thanks again guys.

Kev

This mornings drive? Car seems to be running like a champ. Also, idles nicely at stops, and pulls off aggressively when I get on the gas pedal. Thanks to all! Now maybe my wife will be "nice" to me again since her car will run without problems, because previously she was letting me hear about it everyday. :madtalkin I am amazed at how that 10-15 minute job that I could do myself, would fix this problem.......thanks again guys.
    You are most welcome my young padawan friend. Let this be a lesson to you, always heed the advice of Master Bbob.

In the words of the inimitable Master Yogurt, "May da Shwartz be wit you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    You will see the egr tubes when you open the throttle. Just take off the air duct and wire the throttle open. The tubes will be looking up at you from there.....
    What am I missing here.
    I hope someone can shed some light on my confusion.
    It was always my understanding that the egr tubes were located under the egr valve. When I remove my valve, (spaceship lookin thing ? Right??), there are 2 ports/tubes there.
    Thought those were the egr tubes

And when I remove my air duct and open the throttle plates, I thought that was accessing the throttle body bores.

Are these two different things that are sometimes refered to as the same thing. Or am I completely loosing it

Hopefully some one can confirm what "condition my condition is in".

Well since I just went through all of this, I can tell you. The EGR TUBES are located inside of the throttle body. If you can access your throttle body, open the blades by pushing them open or pulling the throttle cable. Hold them open, and you will see 2 tubes inside of that throttle area. This is all assuming that your engine is the same or similiar as mine (1993 Sedan DeVille). Be clear on this.....The EGR tubes ARE NOT under the EGR Valve (yes, the spaceship looking thing. )

Well I spoke too soon. The problem is back. Rough idling off and on at stops, lack of acceleration when stepping on the gas. What should I attack next? Bbob? Kev? Anyone? I am going to check the EGR tubes tomorrow to see if they are clogged again. I'd like to know if they got clogged again in 2 days. If not what's next?

Well since I just went through all of this, I can tell you. The EGR TUBES are located inside of the throttle body. If you can access your throttle body, open the blades by pushing them open or pulling the throttle cable. Hold them open, and you will see 2 tubes inside of that throttle area.)
    That is what I have done/do.
    Asking... because it was my understandinding that what I was performing was a throttle body clean. From what you just said about accessing the "throttle body" and finding the egr tubes below the blades; makes me wonder what the difference is between a TB cleaning and an egr tube cleaning?
    Take of the air duct, open the throttle blades, and clean it ALL.
    Always thought it was one job. One service.
    To think that someone would clean the TB, and then open the blades and clean the ports below, and refer to them as 2 different services sounds redundant to me.
    I just assumed that it was the same service.
    I assumed that that was what a throttle body cleaning consisted of.
    Or how bout cleaning the blades? Just the top that can be seen?
    I sure hope that no one is being charged as those it is 2, or even "3" different things.
    This is all assuming that your engine is the same or similiar as mine (1993 Sedan DeVille). Be clear on this.....)
    Thought it was quite clear.
    When I subscribed to this forum I included in my profile what It is I drive.
    It is shown every time I post. Its below my user name, but above the post I made. Kinda in-between the two. I believe our engines may be "the same or similiar".
    The EGR tubes ARE NOT under the EGR Valve (yes, the spaceship looking thing. )
    So back to my original quandry.
    What then are the tubes/ports that are below the egr valve called/refered to as ?
    Got an egr valve
    Below that you have tubes
    Hence:
    I made the assumption that they were the egr tubes.

Any idea

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.