how to/ Tune up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, how to/ Tune up in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What is covered in a "standard" tune-up on the 4.9. What can i do myself? I want to cover the ...
    JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

how to/ Tune up

What is covered in a "standard" tune-up on the 4.9. What can i do myself? I want to cover the engine from top to bottom. I have no clue where to start. Is there a standard list that people go by. Is there special tools or diagnostic equipment that i need.

The things that i came up with was to put new spark plugs in and new wires, clean out the air induction system, change the oil, clean the throttle body but where do i go from there???

if anyone can give me suggestions please be as detailed as possible (don't mind me im a little slow) Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: how to/ Tune up

The "typical" dealer or shop will tell you that a "tune-up" is plugs & filters but I will tell you that beyond that, you should be doing and OBD diagnostic (check for codes), change the accessory drive belt, check the belt tensioner, replace the distributor cap and rotor, ignition wires, check the ignition timing, check the intake manifold bolt torque, do a complete "once-over" for leaks, check the battery connections, check the charging system voltage, just basically go over the whole damn thing.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    PCV valve! It's hidden under the right side of the front valve covering. (black plastic) This little 3 dollar item froze up on me with my Mercury and cost me 1200 dollars in oil seals, change it! I recommend Bosch Platinum spark plugs as they have proven themselves in my other vehicles. Yes, there are better plugs.

dave383 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

with your model car i don't think u have a cap and rotor. and i think the timing is done by the on board computer. a tune up would be spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, and put in some fuel injection cleeaner, and if u haven't change the oil than do that to. oh for spark plugs stay away from the Bosch 4's they are not gapped and most cars need a gapped plug and the bosch 4's aren't and u can't gap them. they cause my 94 chevy cavalier to miss fire big time. just my 2cents

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

I think 4.9's do have a cap & rotor if im not mistaken but the timing IS controlled by the ECM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.