4.9 performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 performance in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has any one here done any kinds of updates to the 4.9 motor for more performance? I'm going to put ...
    93_60Special is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sixty Special

4.9 performance

Has any one here done any kinds of updates to the 4.9 motor for more performance? I'm going to put a K&N in but is there any other little tricks that can be done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vanaisa is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS

Re: 4.9 performance

reprogrammed chip - if i remember right, they add 15Hp...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I have the K&N air filter i.....$60 had to be specail order.....next will be the $160 Fast Chip, after that, your on your own, and gotta be creative, I know really sucks.....

93_60Special is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sixty Special

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    I have the K&N air filter i.....$60 had to be specail order.....next will be the $160 Fast Chip, after that, your on your own, and gotta be creative, I know really sucks.....

Well, a buddy of mine wants to put a supercharger on it.

caddypimp93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: 4.9 performance

IF YOU GUYS WANT A SERIOUS PERFORMANCE UPGRADE YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT ASG HERE http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm THEY BASICALLY TAKE A 4.9 BUMP IT UP TO 5.0 AND A FEW OTHER PERFORMANCE INTERNALS AND THE END RESULT IS 285 HORSE @ 5000 RPM AND HERES THE BEST PART :::: 321 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4000RPM THE PRICE IS A B*TCH , PROBABLY MORE THAN YA PAID FOR THE CAR LOL BUT TAKE A LOOK

Quote Originally Posted by caddypimp93
    IF YOU GUYS WANT A SERIOUS PERFORMANCE UPGRADE YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT ASG HERE http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm THEY BASICALLY TAKE A 4.9 BUMP IT UP TO 5.0 AND A FEW OTHER PERFORMANCE INTERNALS AND THE END RESULT IS 285 HORSE @ 5000 RPM AND HERES THE BEST PART :::: 321 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4000RPM THE PRICE IS A B*TCH , PROBABLY MORE THAN YA PAID FOR THE CAR LOL BUT TAKE A LOOK
    They charge $8k-$10k for that... it adds 100hp and like 80 ft lbs of tourqe....

give me that much money, and I'll be sure to get an exra 100hp out of a 4.9 too....

Plus, Cadillac 4.9 sounds better then Cadillac 5.0.... there are too many 5.0's aorund, and most people think of the Ford 302 when you say it...

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

They charge $8k-$10k for that... it adds 100hp and like 80 ft lbs of tourqe
    Hell with that much money i can realy add a lot of HP 8k in stickers would make around a 1400HP car. GO RICE

99Zee28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

They charge $8k-$10k for that... it adds 100hp and like 80 ft lbs of tourqe....

give me that much money, and I'll be sure to get an exra 100hp out of a 4.9 too....

Plus, Cadillac 4.9 sounds better then Cadillac 5.0.... there are too many 5.0's aorund, and most people think of the Ford 302 when you say it...
    Didn't I tell you it would cost that much or more to gain any significant HP/TQ? But you all fought with me!!! With that type of power you'll only be in the mid-low 15's! That's nothing to waste $10,000 on!

I wasn't talking out of my ass!

Later,
    Dave

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

For several hundred bucks stick a 125 NOS shot on it. Cheap, easy and effective and it doesn't hurt the motor...unless you use it....LOL

Instead of spending money on a "chip" find a timing light, go into the "set timing mode" and bump the distributor reference setting (the "timing" of the distributor) up 3 or 4 degrees. Set it at 14 instead of the factory 10 degrees. That is the only thing any chip can do...and it is free. The factory "chip" has the correct fueling for power in the 4.9....but the spark cal is a little conservative because the 4.9 does not have a knock sensor to protect the motor from detonation. Set the timing up and use good gas and you can pick up some free HP with the 4.9. Hint...that is why the aftermarket "chip" says you HAVE to use premium....LOL.....they just bump the timing up in the chip....and charge you $$$$$. No mystery there.

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    For several hundred bucks stick a 125 NOS shot on it. Cheap, easy and effective and it doesn't hurt the motor...unless you use it....LOL
    Do you mean it? I have read some posts that say the tranny won't take it... I was very prone to install a 125 before reading those... but if you are serious, I'll reconsider it. As most people here, I have a big respect for your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Instead of spending money on a "chip" find a timing light, go into the "set timing mode" and bump the distributor reference setting (the "timing" of the distributor) up 3 or 4 degrees. Set it at 14 instead of the factory 10 degrees. That is the only thing any chip can do...and it is free. The factory "chip" has the correct fueling for power in the 4.9....but the spark cal is a little conservative because the 4.9 does not have a knock sensor to protect the motor from detonation. Set the timing up and use good gas and you can pick up some free HP with the 4.9. Hint...that is why the aftermarket "chip" says you HAVE to use premium....LOL.....they just bump the timing up in the chip....and charge you $$$$$. No mystery there.
    This is what I wanted when decided to avoid the NOs. One other thing the chip does in my car model is the removal of the speed limiter. By any chance do you know any free way to remove it? I have searched your posts before, don't remember anything about it.
    Thanks!

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

I too was thinking of a chip but what about the firmer transmission shifts that they claim too?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    I too was thinking of a chip but what about the firmer transmission shifts that they claim too?

Depends on the model year of car but , unless it is an electronically controlled trans, there is no way the chip can do that. With the electronically controlled trans the chip could firm up the shifts a bit...but....the production controller will compensate to some extent for HP gains that tend to run the shifts longer...it looks at the shift time required and adjusts line pressure to firm up the shifts.

Yea, unfortunately, the only way to get the speed limiter removed is with an aftermarket chip.

You can get the engine performance gains for free but if you really want to race top end you'll have to get the speed limiter removed another way.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Zee28
    Didn't I tell you it would cost that much or more to gain any significant HP/TQ? But you all fought with me!!! With that type of power you'll only be in the mid-low 15's! That's nothing to waste $10,000 on!

I wasn't talking out of my ass!

Later,
    Dave

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

That is a seperate company that reworks the Cadillac 4.9....

Nobody EVER said they were gonna spend $10k on the 4.9 and make it a race car :rolleyes2

A family friend owns a machine shop, if I REALLY wanted to, for a couple grand I oculd have him rework the entire engine, to a valve job, port and polish, among many other things, and that would get alot of extra power.... then another family friend owns a tranny shop, and for $150 I can have a shift kit installed as well as a fluid/filter change, and cange the FDR from the 2.73 it is now, to 3.11 or so, as well as beef up the tranny over all for less then $600 I could get a high-flow cat and bigger piping, rework the whole exhaust system, Then I could work on freeing up the air intake setup, re-route the duct work for that, get more air into the engine, that woudln't be too much money, just alot of time getting custom stuff done, Then I would get an MSD ignition system, I would bump the timing up, use high performance parts where ever possible, get some Z rated tires, few other things etc...

...all said and done I would have spent $5k (not $10k like you claim) and be in the low-mid 14's (not low to mid 15's like you say)

^ Now you are gonna be like, "hahahahaha, $5k to get your Cadillac to run a low 14 in the 1/4 my Camaro runs that stock" <--- that isn't the point, my Cadillac also has many, many qualities a Camaro will never have.... the point is, with the correct connections, and knowladge you CAN get power from it and make it fast....

....then there is the question... would *I* personally spend $5k to get my 1993 Coupe DeVille to run...say a 14.5 or similar?

Nope

... I would simply save up another $3k, buy a nice '98+ STS that has everything I want, and enjoy that... it is a low 14-second car from the factory, and can handle higher speed and more power better then the older DeVille....

Anyway, you talk about spending $10k to be in the low-mid 15's..... my car is already a high 15s car... I don't see how I would have to spend $10,000 to shave off 6 tenths of my 1/4 mile time :rolleyes2

Just for the count, I have nothing against Camaros, infact I really like them (SS, Z28 etc...) but I would NOT want one as a daily driver, for many reasons... I have a Cadillac DeVille... live with it....

For the ultimate Cadillac hot-rodding, check this out (something I would like to do one day with my mothers car once she gets a newer one:

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM

IIRC he spent $10-$12k on that, and runs low 12's (?) in a big body Fleetwood, 4600lbs, almost 20 feet long.... hell yeah..... I'd like to see you tell the guy that he was stupid for modding a Cadillac (even used a Cadillac engine, which you said you can't get big power form a Cadillac engine) He is on this ofrum, is user name is Ultra_Slow

IMO if I had $15k to spend on a fast car, I would MUCH rather get the big body RWD Fleetwood/Brougham and dump a 500 in that, and have a very, very uniqe (and fast) car, then buy a Mustang or a Camaro and be just like everyone else....

99Zee28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

That is a seperate company that reworks the Cadillac 4.9....

Nobody EVER said they were gonna spend $10k on the 4.9 and make it a race car :rolleyes2

A family friend owns a machine shop, if I REALLY wanted to, for a couple grand I oculd have him rework the entire engine, to a valve job, port and polish, among many other things, and that would get alot of extra power.... then another family friend owns a tranny shop, and for $150 I can have a shift kit installed as well as a fluid/filter change, and cange the FDR from the 2.73 it is now, to 3.11 or so, as well as beef up the tranny over all for less then $600 I could get a high-flow cat and bigger piping, rework the whole exhaust system, Then I could work on freeing up the air intake setup, re-route the duct work for that, get more air into the engine, that woudln't be too much money, just alot of time getting custom stuff done, Then I would get an MSD ignition system, I would bump the timing up, use high performance parts where ever possible, get some Z rated tires, few other things etc...

...all said and done I would have spent $5k (not $10k like you claim) and be in the low-mid 14's (not low to mid 15's like you say)

^ Now you are gonna be like, "hahahahaha, $5k to get your Cadillac to run a low 14 in the 1/4 my Camaro runs that stock" <--- that isn't the point, my Cadillac also has many, many qualities a Camaro will never have.... the point is, with the correct connections, and knowladge you CAN get power from it and make it fast....

....then there is the question... would *I* personally spend $5k to get my 1993 Coupe DeVille to run...say a 14.5 or similar?

Nope

... I would simply save up another $3k, buy a nice '98+ STS that has everything I want, and enjoy that... it is a low 14-second car from the factory, and can handle higher speed and more power better then the older DeVille....

Anyway, you talk about spending $10k to be in the low-mid 15's..... my car is already a high 15s car... I don't see how I would have to spend $10,000 to shave off 6 tenths of my 1/4 mile time :rolleyes2

Just for the count, I have nothing against Camaros, infact I really like them (SS, Z28 etc...) but I would NOT want one as a daily driver, for many reasons... I have a Cadillac DeVille... live with it....

For the ultimate Cadillac hot-rodding, check this out (something I would like to do one day with my mothers car once she gets a newer one:

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM

IIRC he spent $10-$12k on that, and runs low 12's (?) in a big body Fleetwood, 4600lbs, almost 20 feet long.... hell yeah..... I'd like to see you tell the guy that he was stupid for modding a Cadillac (even used a Cadillac engine, which you said you can't get big power form a Cadillac engine) He is on this ofrum, is user name is Ultra_Slow

IMO if I had $15k to spend on a fast car, I would MUCH rather get the big body RWD Fleetwood/Brougham and dump a 500 in that, and have a very, very uniqe (and fast) car, then buy a Mustang or a Camaro and be just like everyone else....
    Sorry to tell you but with those mods you would be in the LOW 15's not 14's. It takes a lot of power to have a second and a half gain. You think it is soo easy! I have been there, spent the money, been disapointed with results. Yes it was on a Camaro, but a car is a car!

Porting and polishing your heads isn't going to do much but waste your money if you don't get a cam/intake/headers to get the extra airflow in and out. You can port and polish your heads till the cows come home but if you want to see a difference you're going to need everything else to accomidate it before it would actually be beneficial. I can only imagine how restrictive those exhaust manifolds are. Actually, if you were to do it, the proper thing to do is get a cam and then work the heads around the cam.

You also don't need a shift kit on your Caddy. I had my tranny re-programmed with a program called LS1 Edit for Camaros/TA's and Vettes. You can totally adjust the firmness of the shifts, when it shifts, etc. I'm sure you can probably get something like this done. My trans shifted so hard after the settings were changed I could burn out when it shifted into 2nd gear, worse than if it were a M6.

Oh, and LS1 Camaro's don't run low 14's stock, they run low 13's.

That guy with the hot rodded Caddy runs High 12's not Low 12's, plus he has never even been to the track so his estimates with the G-tech might be false. He is also a different story than you! A 500CI engine is no laughing matter, you can make that into a monster, something you cannot do with a 4.9. Plus (I may be wrong) but I'm sure there are tons of performance parts out there for the 500CI that are also used in other big blocks. If I'm not mistaken lot of the older stuff was universal. Also, the car is RWD which helps out greatly in the traction department.

But again, because of the weight it's slowing him down. My buddy has a 70 Chevelle which he just put a 502 in. He's making 750HP naturally aspirated and 1000HP on spray. He should be in the high 9's.

Another thing to point out. Lets say you get a chip. Then you do your heads, now you need another chip burned. Then later you do a gear, then you need another chip burned. Almost everything you do effects the computer, and if not programmed to accomidate the mod, your car will not maximize power or run correctly. OBD I may not be as sensitive to mods as OBD II, I don't know, but I know whenever I had something done to my Camaro the computer always needed to be reprogrammed.

Later,
    Dave

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Not again..lol..

Lets just open the old thread again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.