92 Eldo Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 92 Eldo Problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have been having problems with my car the past couple of days. First a taping started from the front ...
    JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Question 92 Eldo Problems

I have been having problems with my car the past couple of days. First a taping started from the front drivers side of the engine. Then the idil would run real high when driving it. Plus the service engine soon light came on for a minute on saturday haven't seen that since. Any ideas????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    First check computer codes. Then we maybe know more about those problems...

Re: 92 Eldo Problems

Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa
    First check computer codes. Then we maybe know more about those problems...
    How would i check the computer codes im new to the whole car with computers stuff used to own classics. any help???

I got into the diagonistic part but it didn't say anything was wrong (hope i did it right) anyone know if you can go to a GM dealer and get the info on those codes and what they mean per exact year and model???

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    I got into the diagonistic part but it didn't say anything was wrong (hope i did it right) anyone know if you can go to a GM dealer and get the info on those codes and what they mean per exact year and model???
    Did you get any codes at all? If Check Engine light goes on, then there must be error code!
    If you post codes here, we can say, what they mean - also they are in factory repair manual...

Did you get any codes at all? If Check Engine light goes on, then there must be error code!
    If you post codes here, we can say, what they mean - also they are in factory repair manual...
    when i went into the code mode the check engine light did go on, when i cycled through the codes it keep saying error on most codes or ECU? ECM?? i got a lot of that

when i went into the code mode the check engine light did go on, when i cycled through the codes it keep saying error on most codes or ECU? ECM?? i got a lot of that
    Then it must be broken computer/MEM-CAL card in computer(ECM=Electronic Control Module)...or just corroded contacts/connectors.
    Try clean them and check again. If nothing happens, then its broken memory card...and this messing some sensors - and idle isnt right...
    But about this noise in front drivers side of the engine - check first engine belt...maybe this noise coming from alternator/or other bearings?

Then it must be broken computer/MEM-CAL card in computer(ECM=Electronic Control Module)...or just corroded contacts/connectors.
    Try clean them and check again. If nothing happens, then its broken memory card...and this messing some sensors - and idle isnt right...
    But about this noise in front drivers side of the engine - check first engine belt...maybe this noise coming from alternator/or other bearings?
    just ran out and checked the belt it is fine with the bearings as well. how do i clean the contacts????

just ran out and checked the belt it is fine with the bearings as well. how do i clean the contacts????
    This is bigger job...
    ECM(little metal box) is located in the right front corner of the passenger compartment under the instrument panel. there are colour coded connectors attached to the ECM - try clean those and check then again....
    A good factory repair manual will help you much. I recomend to buy one...

This is bigger job...
    ECM(little metal box) is located in the right front corner of the passenger compartment under the instrument panel. there are colour coded connectors attached to the ECM - try clean those and check then again....
    A good factory repair manual will help you much. I recomend to buy one...
    Van...
    thank you for your help i am thankful of your knowledge. is there a specific brand of repair manual or where to get one that you could point me in the right direction

Well, i have Haynes repair manual (#38031), but it is not explaining all areas (like transmission - "it must be repaired in special shops blah, blah"), but in most of cases its useful.
    Electrical and sensors chapters are almost perfect, others are good...
    For usual and daily use its OK, but i´m sure, someone here can recommend better and sophisticated manuals....
    For my ´67 Eldo i bought CD from Gearhead Cafe it is IMO way better choice (it contains more books too) - you need only good printer.

Well, i have Haynes repair manual (#38031), but it is not explaining all areas (like transmission - "it must be repaired in special shops blah, blah"), but in most of cases its useful.
    Electrical and sensors chapters are almost perfect, others are good...
    For usual and daily use its OK, but i´m sure, someone here can recommend better and sophisticated manuals....
    For my ´67 Eldo i bought CD from Gearhead Cafe it is IMO way better choice (it contains more books too) - you need only good printer.

Where did you learn sooo much about Eldordos. Like you probably know i have a 92 w/ 4.9 and i want to know everything about it b/c i love working on cars. I don't have much money so i like FREE information. If you have any websites that you recommend besides this one that would be much appricated

I learned with working/repairing my car - and it is´nt so much, as you think I had to learn many things, cause we dont have here good Cadillac services. One and only is too high priced and they repair better Saab and Opels, than Cadillacs (they know only, where put oil and gas, i think ).
    But in internet you must find lots of good sites (this site of course too ) - you just find a bit here and a bit there.
    This is one Very good site
    Here is good site about sensors and what they do

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Van...
    thank you for your help i am thankful of your knowledge. is there a specific brand of repair manual or where to get one that you could point me in the right direction
    I have a 92 Eldorado myself, it's a quantum leap forward from the 87 I had a few years ago. As far as a manual goes the only one I could find for a 92 is a Chilton's. It's not great but it knows more than I do. They're constantly on Ebay, and try Half.com for a used one. The car's also old enough that they should be showing up in used book stores by now.
    Fortunatley, I haven't had the problems you have so I can't really help. But in the past I've been able to call a parts store and ask what individual codes mean.
    Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.