Need info on the fuel injection system on the 4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Need info on the fuel injection system on the 4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, So this one is a shot in the dark. I found a 1976 Olds 455 motor for approx ...
    Mogul345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need info on the fuel injection system on the 4100

Hey guys,
    So this one is a shot in the dark. I found a 1976 Olds 455 motor for approx 350 bucks w/ 69000 original miles. Of course, this motor came carbeurated. Now, since the injection on the 4100 motor is throttle body, which is essentially injectors bolted in place of a carb, some things have come to mind.

1)Does the throttle body injector housing have the same bolt pattern as a carb used on a olds 455?

2)This one's doubtful, but I'll ask anyway. Would the intake manifold from the 4100 bolt to the 455? I think probably no since the 455 is a big block and the 4100's a small block.

3)If the throttle body injector housing does bolt to the 455, would the injectors that are in the sucker right now work? I'd assume I'd need bigger ones.

3a)If bigger injectors are needed, will the computer need to be upgraded to use them correctly?

4)I figure that the computer for the 4100 is linked to the distributor in some way, to control the air/fuel mixture. Basically, can someone explain to me what sensors/things that the computer uses to control the system. Do you think they could be adapted for use on the 455

I figure this is a shot in the dark, and it'd probably just be a smarter idea to save me some hassles and just convert the car to a carb setup. But I'd like to know. If this works, it'd probably save me alot of messing around with the electrical systems in the car

-Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ga_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Need info on the fuel injection system on the 4100

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul345
    Hey guys,
    So this one is a shot in the dark. I found a 1976 Olds 455 motor for approx 350 bucks w/ 69000 original miles. Of course, this motor came carbeurated. Now, since the injection on the 4100 motor is throttle body, which is essentially injectors bolted in place of a carb, some things have come to mind.

1)Does the throttle body injector housing have the same bolt pattern as a carb used on a olds 455?

2)This one's doubtful, but I'll ask anyway. Would the intake manifold from the 4100 bolt to the 455? I think probably no since the 455 is a big block and the 4100's a small block.

3)If the throttle body injector housing does bolt to the 455, would the injectors that are in the sucker right now work? I'd assume I'd need bigger ones.

3a)If bigger injectors are needed, will the computer need to be upgraded to use them correctly?

4)I figure that the computer for the 4100 is linked to the distributor in some way, to control the air/fuel mixture. Basically, can someone explain to me what sensors/things that the computer uses to control the system. Do you think they could be adapted for use on the 455

I figure this is a shot in the dark, and it'd probably just be a smarter idea to save me some hassles and just convert the car to a carb setup. But I'd like to know. If this works, it'd probably save me alot of messing around with the electrical systems in the car

-Don

Whats wrong with FI system on the 4100? If you aren't happy with the 4100 why not do a rebuild?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I believe he wants to put a FI system FROM a 4100 onto the 455........

On ebay, Ive seen FI kits for SBC (i found one for a 327, for our boat)....... So im sure finding one for a 455 wouldnt be a problem.......

But if a 4100 FI system is compatible, I couldnt tell you......

89eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Even though you have probably done what you have done by now...

I would say anything would work, first and foremost. The intake wouldnt have the the needed flow for the 455... the TBI injection would work though. Perhaps a higher fuel rail pressure and high flow injectors would be needed....

Did you ever do this?

Regards,
    Brian W.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Do a google search for eldocountryhotlinks. Has a very informative section on installing a olds engine in an '84 Eldo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.