1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have an 85' Cadillac Eldorado 4100 engine and recently it has been rough starting after driving about 30 minutes. ...
    Rick_Rude967 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Roadster (4100)

Angry 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)

I have an 85' Cadillac Eldorado 4100 engine and recently it has been rough starting after driving about 30 minutes. Well yesterday I pulled into a garage to get 2 tires and the car was idling for a few minutes after driving for about 30 minutes and the tech. drove the car about 20' and it died. We pushed it into the garage and they replaced the 2 tires and then couldn't get it started, so after them checking the fuel and the spark along with checking to see if power to module was there... They kept the distributor off sprayed it with WD-40 under the cap then blew it out with air to cool off the module. They put cap back on and it started up no problem... The next morning the car started up but now really rough idle and some black smoke (almost like an overload of fuel dumping). Tried revving the gas a little and warming it up a little bit, it didn't smooth out. Now I'm confused ! Is it possibly the ignition module. Also forgot to mention periodically it would hesitate and the check engine light has been on all along way before this issue started.

Please help !

Rick (Stranded in NJ)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rick_Rude967 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Roadster (4100)

Angry 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)

I have an 85' Cadillac Eldorado 4100 engine and recently it has been rough starting after driving about 30 minutes. Well yesterday I pulled into a garage to get 2 tires and the car was idling for a few minutes after driving for about 30 minutes and the tech. drove the car about 20' and it died. We pushed it into the garage and they replaced the 2 tires and then couldn't get it started, so after them checking the fuel and the spark along with checking to see if power to module was there... They kept the distributor off sprayed it with WD-40 under the cap then blew it out with air to cool off the module. They put cap back on and it started up no problem... The next morning the car started up but now really rough idle and some black smoke (almost like an overload of fuel dumping). Tried revving the gas a little and warming it up a little bit, it didn't smooth out. Now I'm confused ! Is it possibly the ignition module. Also forgot to mention periodically it would hesitate and the check engine light has been on all along way before this issue started.

Please help !

Rick (Stranded in NJ)

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    Your post has nothing to do with Forum Rules and Guidelines. Look at the descriptive text in each forum title to find out what is supposed to be posted there.

Moved to the proper forum - in this case you have engine problems, not body, so here we are in Engines, 4100.

NEVER put your phone number in a worldwide public forum - you may just get far, far more than you bargained for.

Please do not triple post. This will be moved to Engines, 4100 - along with your previous threads on the same problem that were posted in Forum Rules and in Seville/Eldorado.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)

I don't think a module would misfire. My experience is they work or quit. I would inspect the cap for evidence of moisture inside it 1st because you say WD 40 fixed it for awhile. Is a heater hose spraying coolant into it? How old is the cap and rotor? A cracked cap could cause a misfire. How old are the plug wires? Pulling the codes and listing them with their definitions might help us!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)

Good forum name "rick_rude!!!" He never posted back with any info or what it took to fix the car. A forum is to help not only you but others by posting the complaint then hopefully getting the cause then posting the correction. The 3 C's of forum discussions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.