4.9 Cable Wrapping Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EldoRedo
  • 1 Post By EldoRedo
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Cable Wrapping Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Folks, I am redoing all of my split-loom cable/wire bundle wrappings, and as this is a second engine, most traces ...
    EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

4.9 Cable Wrapping Questions

Folks,

I am redoing all of my split-loom cable/wire bundle wrappings, and as this is a second engine, most traces of "factory" installation are gone. Tonight I redid the main wire bundle from behind the I/P on the r/h side, across the rear valve cover, then down under where the air box would go. This run has several branch points -- am I correct that such junctions are nothing more than the feeders emerging from the split, with the feeder wraps just butting up against the main run? Or, as the drawings in the Service Manual suggest, should these junctions be wrapped with electrical tape?

In the photo you can see the run I did tonight emerge after it comes off of the valve cover, then it has a major branch near the metal cable clip, and a second branch area a few inches later. I went ahead and ran the new wrap as far along as I could, knowing I can always cut it back.

And that raises my other question -- the new wrap is a little too big for the metal clip -- suggesting that, at least for thus run, I should be switching to a smaller diameter wrap and not trying to extend the "main" wrap as far as I can?? And THEN the question is -- is it more common practice to always use a new piece (even of the same diameter) when "leaving" a branch/junction?

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images
    Cadillac_Fan likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 4.9 Cable Wrapping Questions

Well -- for those interested:

I have wrapped the junctions with black silicone self-fusing tape. I would highly recommend it. Looks just like electrical tape but none of the eventual melti-ness and loose ends. I also did switch to a smaller diameter after the lower branch above, which worked out fine because I wrapped that area anyway as a junction.

Only thing I can tell you is that the original factory ends I found (against connectors) were wrapped with maybe half-inch shiny black cloth tape.

I made the metal clip fit by scrunching the loom a bit inside itself and used a pair of pliers!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Looks good!

Well thanks -- here's the final result:
    Attached Images
    Cadillac_Fan likes this.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Nice. You seem to be a perfectionist!

Yeah I plead almost guilty! I accept that I am not aiming for concours-quality, just spiffing up my almost 24 model-year-old car for my own enjoyment. In this case, I just got tired of putting the hood up and seeing an engine bay that I had let go a little bit. So it's not perfection but a lot better usually when I'm done and that's my goal...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.