4.9 flooding when shut off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 flooding when shut off in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1992 seville runs great. Shut it off and a short time later it starts hard (flooded) Anybody? Thanks in advance....
    alfred4244 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 seville

4.9 flooding when shut off

1992 seville runs great. Shut it off and a short time later it starts hard (flooded) Anybody? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 4.9 flooding when shut off

Well, I guess no one has any suggestions.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

The most obvious answer would be a leaking injector(s). I have been lucky not to have to deal with injector issues on any of my cars yet so I don't have first hand experience with the symptoms. Does it puff black smoke or blubber once it starts?

That is exactly what it does. Then after a few minutes of running it smooths right out. Till the next time. I figured it was probably an injector (dirty). I think it is TBI and for sure not multiport. I'm wondering if the injuctor can be taken apart and cleaned? I could try I guess

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

This is typically a torn fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Disconnect the vacuum hose to it and check for any wetness or fuel odor. There should be none. If there is, replace the regulator.

The pressure regulator is a thought but she runs puurfect once started and I see no service engine light lit. But I suppose its a possability. I would think that if I look into the throttle body and see if anything is dripping after shutoff should tell me if its an injector. But yes, the pressure regulator is surely another possability. If its the P R, it gets replaced but if its an injector, Can it be taken apart and cleaned?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

The regulator is easy to check. It's worth the 30 seconds to rule it out.

Well, I guess Drewsdeville Is right. I pulled the vacumm hose and it has gas in it allright. So the PR must be the culprit. I also noticed the engine has 8 injectors to my supprise. And yet they call it "Port Fuel Injection". I have a 3.1 Cutlass Supreme and on that, they call it "Multy Port Fuel Injection" I wonder what the difference is? Both appear the same to me. Thank you both for the help, it saves me a lot of time. I will change the PR and let you know how it goes. My next question is going to be about the CCR struts. So I will start a new post. I am not sure where to post it yet ??

Changed the PR and she rums purfect now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.