Waterpmp AGAIN!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Waterpmp AGAIN! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; k so 11 months ago I had to get a new waterpump, leaking, no big deal and $629, and 3 ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Waterpmp AGAIN!

k so 11 months ago I had to get a new waterpump, leaking, no big deal and $629, and 3 months after again it started leaking. GM tech guy also replaced the seal on the plate behind the waterpump and again another new waterpump, covered under warrenty. Now it's leaking again and I am having only GM parts installed at the Cadillac dealership! Getting more than a little fed up and was wondering where these things are made already! China?! My warrenty better cover this tomorrow because we're talking about probably near $700 now because of bad parts

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    k so 11 months ago I had to get a new waterpump, leaking, no big deal and $629, and 3 months after again it started leaking. GM tech guy also replaced the seal on the plate behind the waterpump and again another new waterpump, covered under warrenty. Now it's leaking again and I am having only GM parts installed at the Cadillac dealership! Getting more than a little fed up and was wondering where these things are made already! China?! My warrenty better cover this tomorrow because we're talking about probably near $700 now because of bad parts
    oh and car is a 1991 Fleetwood 4.9 with only 74k and I drive 5 K per year

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oh great just found out it isn't the waterpump, it's the heagasket. Total cost to fix after tax is $2481.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Re: Waterpmp AGAIN!

Ouch!! I'm glad I can do my own water pump, it's actually become quite easy over time! I've done it when I had my 88 Eldorado, my 91 Eldorado, and my current 95 Deville! Lots of little nuts and bolts but not too difficult! Sorry to hear it's your head gasket Ralph!!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    oh great just found out it isn't the waterpump, it's the heagasket. Total cost to fix after tax is $2481.
    Get a second opinion. Headgaskets rarely fail on 4.9 engines. As for water pumps, as soon as you replace the original pump, you keep replacing them again and again. AC Delco waterpumps are made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASELDO91
    Ouch!! I'm glad I can do my own water pump, it's actually become quite easy over time! I've done it when I had my 88 Eldorado, my 91 Eldorado, and my current 95 Deville! Lots of little nuts and bolts but not too difficult! Sorry to hear it's your head gasket Ralph!!
    thanks dude

----------

Quote Originally Posted by HUF
    Get a second opinion. Headgaskets rarely fail on 4.9 engines. As for water pumps, as soon as you replace the original pump, you keep replacing them again and again. AC Delco waterpumps are made in China.
    thanks. Well it was at rhe Cadillac dealership and I snuck back to the shop area ( they don't like that) and talked to the mechanic and he showed me how he tested the coolant and there are Hydrocarbons, or something in the coolant, indicating a blown gasket. He said the head gaskets are made of tin. So what is happening is there is some excess pressure in my cooling system while it slowly gets contaminated with these hydrocarbons, or whatever. The leaking was caused by the rad cap bleeding some off he said. I just went down to look at everything and the upper hose was sucked flat (maybe from the pressure test) and the coolant level was about 5 inches low. When I opened the rad cap to top it off, there was a whoosh of air and the hose took it's normal shape again. He said I could drive it but if it ever starts knocking then the engine has probably already seised up. Parts will arrive in 2 days or so. fun fun

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

negative pressure in the cooling system is never a good sign...

I hope all goes well and this takes care of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict
    negative pressure in the cooling system is never a good sign...

I hope all goes will and this takes care of the problems.
    thanks! They will call tomorrow, it should be done

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Ralph!! Holy crap. It's Ralph.

That sucks.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    As for water pumps, as soon as you replace the original pump, you keep replacing them again and again. AC Delco waterpumps are made in China.
    Yeah no kidding. Mine needs to be replaced every 2 years or so. It always rusts at the gasket and then starts leaking. I keep a spare one around now.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    Ralph!! Holy crap. It's Ralph.
    Dude! I was thinking about the prank on April Fools day, and wondering if you still had those pics lol. Yeah tomorrow when the Dealership calls it will hit my bank account hard![COLOR="Silver"]

Caddy dealership called, ran into a snag, won't be ready until Monday. The kit was supposed to have 2 intake gaskets (I think he said) so that will come in seperately and there is another rubber piece they don't make anymore because the car is so old, a rubber elbow, some kind of gasket for the valves he said. But the good news is it won't be over the price they quoted in the estimate!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Dude! I was thinking about the prank on April Fools day, and wondering if you still had those pics lol. Yeah tomorrow when the Dealership calls it will hit my bank account hard![COLOR="Silver"]
    I completely forgot about that till now. I don't know if I still have them or not. If I come across them I'll let you know.

Got the car back. The power steering reservoir cap wasn't tightened. a bolt was missing on the valve cover. I can't believe they had to drain all the fluids including the engine oil! They broke a couple of exhaust bolts but I guess that's normal.

ok so everyday the upper rad hose is a little sucked in on itself, I release the rad cap, it springs back to shape and the rad level is always a few inches low! Also the coolant reservoir level is on FULL and never goes up or down! I wonder if the guy plugged it for all the work and forgot to reconnect it. Found 2 more bolts the mechanic didn't put back and one is to hold the rear fuel rail from moving!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Make sure the hose from reservoir to the radiator neck is not plugged. You might want to replace rad cap, they go bad. Broken exhaust bolts will create exhaust leak. You can hear it. That leak can affect oxygen sensor input as well. Not a good mechanic , I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF
    Make sure the hose from reservoir to the radiator neck is not plugged. You might want to replace rad cap, they go bad. Broken exhaust bolts will create exhaust leak. You can hear it. That leak can affect oxygen sensor input as well. Not a good mechanic , I guess.
    guess what. Today I lifted up the reservoir and the hose was twisted! As soon as it untwisted the level increased and I heard another whoosh of air! I hope this takes care of the air in the system but I called yesterday and they said I can expect air for about a week or so. It's a new rad cap. Also they supposedly changed to all new exhaust bolts as they were part of the kit I had to buy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.