88 fleetwood engine randomly dies
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 88 fleetwood engine randomly dies in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 88 fleetwood has been very reliable untill about 2 weeks ago. It has been leaving me stranded! The engine ...
    doobbdoob is offline Cadillac Owners Member

88 fleetwood engine randomly dies

My 88 fleetwood has been very reliable untill about 2 weeks ago. It has been leaving me stranded! The engine will just quit running. When i try to restart, it cranks and cranks but there's no fire in the hole. Hours later i return to my abandend fleetwood with intensions to tow it home and it starts right up like nothing ever happened. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

Re: 88 fleetwood engine randomly dies

Sounds like a bad fuel pump.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Pull the trouble codes.
    Bad cam sensor or pickup in the distributor is a common cause of that problem but it can also be another failing electronic part that has become heat sensitive.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Intermittent problems can be difficult. Unfortunately, to diagnose, you'll have to wait for it to fail again. Next time it won't start, check for fuel and spark. It's not getting at least one of the two. That will guide you to the next step.

All the feed back helps, thanks. Still tryin to pinpiont the problem. Where can i get trouble code definitions?
    The last time the engine died i checked for fuel and spark. Had fuel pressure at shreader valve fuel rail, but no fuel coming out the injectors. No spark either.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by doobbdoob View Post
    All the feed back helps, thanks. Still tryin to pinpiont the problem. Where can i get trouble code definitions?
    The last time the engine died i checked for fuel and spark. Had fuel pressure at shreader valve fuel rail, but no fuel coming out the injectors. No spark either.
    Here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

How much pressure did you have?, should be around 40 psi I think

Had fuel pressure at shreader valve fuel rail, but no fuel coming out the injectors. No spark either.
    may be a problem with the ignition control module. How do you know there was no fuel from the injectors?

Its throttle body injected. I removed the air horn and while cranking I should have seen a cone shaped mist of fuel from the injectors. Lots of pressure at inspection valve.

Ah yes... I wasn't paying attention and thought this was a multiport engine. Still, it may be an ignition module problem. It may be worth having it tested.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The pickup and ignition/HEI module both control the injectors, or at least signal the computer when to pulse them. So a problem with either will cause that kind of problem and HEI modules do go bad.

The codes Im getting are E-12, (no distibutor signal) and E-52, (data factory reset) Im going to go ahead and replace the ignition pickup coil inside the distributor.

Well... I replaced the coil and ingnition modual. But it still randomly dies. Any other ideas? Still getting the same codes.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It's most likely the hall effect switch. If you check all the E12 threads around here you will see how others fix it and see why some opt to just buy a rebuilt distributor for $150ish.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.