An update on my custom intake setup...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, An update on my custom intake setup... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Decided to scrap the old setup and just go full retard and run individual throttle bodies. The runners will need ...
    Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

An update on my custom intake setup...

Decided to scrap the old setup and just go full retard and run individual throttle bodies. The runners will need to be ridiculously long, but I'm pretty sure they'll still fit under the hood scoop I have with room to spare (hopefully, because I want to cut the hood scoop down).

I've decided to fully rebuild everything about the car - engine, transmission, suspension, etc before I get behind the wheel of it again, so the end of this project could be quite a ways off. However the end results should be much more than worth the wait. I've already started the process of amassing parts, oh, and if you think the intake will be wild... Wait until you see the headers.

In the mean time, I'll be around if anyone needs me for anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: An update on my custom intake setup...

Just curious, but why the 8 throttle bodies? What was the old setup?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've just been out of the loop around here lately...

Individual throttle bodies are capable of making more power than just about any other intake setup, extremely difficult to tune and all around pain in the ass. Google will provide a far more in depth and articulate description of the benefits and drawbacks than I can.

My original idea was to use one set of the throttle bodies pictured running into the stock 4.9 intake manifold, which had its own logistics issues. I caught a good deal on the Allante lower intake manifold ($60) and a good deal on the other set of throttle bodies, so I figured why not if I can do ITB's for a total cost of under $200, tuning issues be damned.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Gotcha'...

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

So it'll be improved before and after the heads...but what about the heads themselves? These goofy shaped heads with the cute little valves flow like molasses through a syringe. Any significant head work to compliment the other improvements or are these just going to be bolted on and run as-is?

There won't be much left stock by the time the engine is actually done. I intend to port the heads and then port match the lower intake manifold, swap in northstar pistons, performance cam, stiffer valve springs, custom steel rocker arm bridges and retrofit a set of roller rockers... and I'm going to try my hardest to wedge a set of 180 degree headers under the hood, because if I have to make custom headers anyway... why not go full retard on those, too?

Some people might remember that I said northstar piston swap is essentially useless for 4.9 performance back in the day, and by all means I still believe that to be largely true, but you can get N* pistons from Summit Racing for just a few bucks more than 4.9 pistons now... so since I'm going to be rebuilding anyway, it's worth it for the slightly increased displacement/higher compression ratio.

I could put together the greatest N/A 4.9 build ever and make gobs of power. Or I could just be building a giant pile of really complicated crap. My goal for engine power is 300bhp (not whp) and I'd love to see around 400ft/lbs (again, not to the wheels), and to make good power up to around 5,500-5,700rpm, reliably. I believe with the listed equipment figures similar to these should be attainable. Either that or it will explode the first time I turn it over. I honestly have no idea.

For those who don't know what 180 degree headers are or how they work: http://www.burnsstainless.com/bundleofsnakes-2.aspx

The way they would look on the 4.9 would be something like this-

Except the pipes would need to exit in the opposite direction on the Cadillac, but you get the idea. With the stock airbox, the ABS, air compressor and other bits gone from that side of the engine bay, there should be enough room to fit all that over there. The only real question would be fitting all that piping on the back side of the engine, could be issues, but it could fit without a problem as well. Won't really know until I mock it up, which is a long way off. Pretty sure I would need to run a flexible steel coolant hose on the top side as well, but those are readily available from Jegs or Summit.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Man those headers are giving me a headache trying to figure them out. I could never deal with stuff like that; I like my stuff simple I guess. It looks like a bad ass Olds engine though but I can't even see the heads. Good luck on your project though, your work is usually first class. I hope you have some tricks for that weak tranny too.

This might help with figuring out the bundle of snakes-

If I can make em work without having to cut massive parts of the body out, I will. Because...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ye8fFH90w

...Dat sound. That and the fact that in theory the 180's would be capable of freeing up more power than any other header design.

Edit: Forgot to mention, for the transmission, I want to swap to the 3.33 FDR gearing and do a general rebuild on it. I've heard about something for the 4T65-E called the Raybestos Z-Pak that is supposed to fit the 4T60-E, but I really don't know much about transmissions, so if anyone wants to help point me in the right direction on what to do with that I'm all ears.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The guy that built that sack of snakes needs to get a life. Might be great for looks & bragging rights, but I strongly doubt that any tremendous power gains will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by steelybill View Post
    The guy that built that sack of snakes needs to get a life. Might be great for looks & bragging rights, but I strongly doubt that any tremendous power gains will be there.
    http://www.burnsstainless.com/bundleofsnakes-2.aspx

The power gains may not be "tremendous" (which is subjective to begin with), but like I said before: If I'm gonna be building custom headers anyway, since nobody makes 4.9 headers, I'm gonna go full retard with it.

As a (very poor) update, my pile'o'parts is ever growing. Still planning to start tearing everything apart sometime this spring to get ready to start working on it all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.