4100 Service Now / Codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 Service Now / Codes in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I'm new to this forum and glad to be here. I must say I have found alot of helpful ...
    VinnieG71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

4100 Service Now / Codes

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and glad to be here. I must say I have found alot of helpful information. I have an 84 Eldorado Biarritz with 73000 miles on the original 4100 engine. About 2 weeks ago my Charge Light came on and the Service Now light lit occasionaly while returning home from a car show. Once home, I checked alternator output. It was at 13.2 volts. Replaced alternator, voltage back up to 14.5. Charge light off and no Service Now light. Today I drove to another show, no issues. But driving home the Service Now light returned. It would turn on and off and when it would turn on I noticed either a rev in the engine or what sounded almost like a downshift/higher rpms when at highway speeds. Side street driving would get occasional light, but no revving feel. Checked codes and I get a 16 and 52. Both seem ECM Related. Before ordering and replacing the ECM I figured I'd give the forum a try for some assistance. I only put about 500 to 1000 miles on this car per year. Strictly cruise night / car show fun.
    Thanks for any help I can get.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 4100 Service Now / Codes

Tighten the smog pump belt.

joseph29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 1984 eldorado biarritz that has the "stop enine oil pressure" light blinking and "service soon" then "service now" light on it idles high sometimes then will die I drove it to my after I bought it and it'll shut off when I slow down or stop. It also reads codes 19 20 24 26 27 52 53 what do these codes meann and how do I fix the problem with it shutting off and idling the way it is

----------

Thanks I will do that first thing in the morning any other suggestions or reccomendations

First thing I would do is replace the oil pressure sender by the oil filter with a oil pressure gauge to verify correct oil pressure. If the pressure is about 6 or 8 LB at idle then the oil pump is ok. If not, remove the distributor to inspect the oil pump drive gear. This engine had a habit of wearing out this gear. If the teeth on the gear are razor sharp it's worn out, replace it. Regarding the codes, erase all of them and if the service engine soon light reappears, then repost them. 19 is shorted fuel pump circuit, 20 is open fuel pump circuit, 24 is a fault in the speed sensor signal. 26 is a shorted throttle switch circuit. 27 is open throttle switch circuit. 52 means the battery has been disconnected in the past. 53 means the signal to the distributor was interrupted. If the codes display only 2 times, they're history and have no meaning now. If the code displays 3 times, the problem is occurring now and must be diagnosed. And this should have been a brand new post ideally. Good luck! And buy the factory service manual! best money you'll spend whether you fix it or have someone else do it.

And I guess its still not fixed? To help others, complaint, cause and final correction should be posted.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi Vinnie & Joseph,

Like carnut, I'm also wondering if you were able to resolve your concerns. Posting here may benefit other community members with similar questions. And if you're still having concerns, please do let us know!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

joseph29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    So sorry I been really busy working but I jacked the car up inspected it really close n found that the oil pressure sensor was rigged up with a sensor that didn't go to it then the wires were stripped and were just wrapped around the sensor until it vibrated off I'm assuming and that's when the people I bought it from just parked it and put a for sale sign on it. The codes are still showing I tried resetting the car but oil pressure light is on now(not blinking) and service now light is on (not blinking)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.