4.9 Idle Adjustment on '93 DeVille ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Idle Adjustment on '93 DeVille ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My '93 DeVille with the 4.9 is Idling a little too high. I tried to adjust it mechanically but it ...
    General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

4.9 Idle Adjustment on '93 DeVille ?

My '93 DeVille with the 4.9 is Idling a little too high. I tried to adjust it mechanically but it did not want to turn and I was a little afraid to break it. Then a mechanic friend of mine mentioned that it may be adjusted by the computer.

What would be the correct way to Lower the Idle?

Thanks

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: 4.9 Idle Adjustment on '93 DeVille ?

As your mechanic stated, it is computer controlled. If you turn the screw on the idle speed controller, the computer will still set the idle where it wants it - if you thread the screw in, the computer will simply extend it back where it was. If you thread it out, the ISC will retract it.

The only thing you are changing by turning the ISC screw is the upper/lower limits of it's extension. Thread it in too much and the ISC won't be able to extend enough to compensate. Thread it out too much and the ISC will bottom out too early.

While there are many possibilities, the most likely causes of a high idle on this engine are a misadjusted or faulty TPS or a large vacuum leak,

General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

Appreciate the reply.

Should my next step be to pull the Codes?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Yeah, that's a good place to start

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Vacuum leaks won't show up on the codes, but x2 on the vacuum leaks.

I usually use carb cleaner (with the straw) and hit the usual suspects for vacuum leaks; TB base, intake manifold gaskets, vacuum line turns (plastic tube connectors). If the rpm's mellow out, you've found your leak...

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Start by checking codes and cleaning the throttle body if it needs it. Usually if the idle is higher then it's supposed to be the computer is trying to compensate for something or someone has messed around with things before. There's a chunk in the service manual that covers how to make sure the ISC TPS and everything else are adjusted and working properly and steps to follow to adjust everything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.