Timing and error code 26
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Timing and error code 26 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi guys. I have just replaced most of the sensors and head gaskets etc... So i have made quite a ...
    nizki1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado ht4100

Timing and error code 26

Hi guys. I have just replaced most of the sensors and head gaskets etc... So i have made quite a service to the car. Now i have two questions. We have tried to set the timming on my car. We have done it quite good but there is one problemm. There is a scale missing on my car and i don't know to wat degrees my timing is set. So is there any other way to tell where is desired 10 or 12 degrees. Now my marker is approx one inch towards passanger side from center of pulley (12 o'clock) car runf pretty fine but when i try to accelerate hard it feals like is getting flodded and it hesitates a bit.
    Secon question is regarding error code. When idling car shows service soon light. When i enter the diagnostics it shows code 26 only. When i gently touch the throttle the light shuts off. So whenever I am touching the throtle the light is off and when i release the throtle the light is on again. I have also replaced Tps and ISC.

Thanks for the answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Timing and error code 26

Try to get your timing set first and the code might go away. Not sure which 2 locations you jumper on your ALDL, but that should disable the ECM to keep it from advancing when you are setting the base timing. DO you know what the base timing should be?

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94FWB, 07Terraza, 09G5, It's a driveway of GM's

Advance timing, there will be a small green wire with a female plug coming out from the wiring harness near the throttle body. After you set the cold timing you need to ground this green wire to the throttle body to set the Advance timing. SES light will be on, clear the code restart the engine & it should be gone.

R.

nizki1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado ht4100

Hi.
    I guess correct cold timing is arround 10 degrees some suggest also 12 degrees. I am running on 95 octane fuel so i think i can use 12. (please correct me if I am wrong).
    For advanced timing I dont know what values shuld I set. So please can you provide me with some data. And Is the procedure for setting advanced timing same as for cold timing (setting the strobe light to cyl. 1, connecting pins A and B on connector,.....) and I shuld just ground the green connector and do the same as for cold timing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.