4100 still running better to rebuild or replace
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 still running better to rebuild or replace in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; cost to rebuild ht4100? I have an 85 eldorado 4100 fwd I got it fairly cheap 1500 good shape will ...
    zac85eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 eldorado

4100 still running better to rebuild or replace

cost to rebuild ht4100?
    I have an 85 eldorado 4100 fwd I got it fairly cheap 1500 good shape will need paint runs fine just slughish and for a car thats suppose to get 20 miles a gallon im getting 11 recently the water pump went out im worried about the over heating it experienced im having the water pump replaced but for such a beautiful car im am realy disapointed with the power I have had 425 caddys 500 and a 501 this has the worst exceleration I have ever experienced out of a v8 I been thinking I could care less about the fi or if the dash warning lights work since I could get after market gauges im worried about the digital spedometer working and other things like fule pump automatic dimmer lights is it posible for me to just get a 350 olds and drop it in without adding to much weight or having to spend to much money on all the electrical work I also heard the 403 would fit I pondered the 307 but heard it only had 20 more ponies If I were to do that I might as well stick with the 4100 plus I have an 85 I heard that their not quite as bad as the earlier 4100"s I also heard if I have mine rebuilt the aluminum would expand like .0001 of an inch beinging after alot of miles the heads are the only thing keeping it from expanding and I would never again have a proper sill I also though about finding a 368-64 and cutting the wire that controls the 8-6-4 application I have 2000 dollars to spend I know thats not that much what whould get the most bang for the buck consider I dont care about fuel economy or I wouldnt have bought an v8 Id be happy with a 500 lol but dont thing the tranny and my wallet could hold up to the 500 please stare me in the most inexspensive route taking in account the 4100 is still running
    Based on your question, we think it belongs in one of these categories:
    Suggested Category

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: 4100 still running better to rebuild or replace

Moved to HT4100 discussion forum.

zac85eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 eldorado

well lets put it this way I have 3000 to spend on the motor is it even plausible to have an engine swap done for 3k or would it be better to have someone rebuild it since its still running please help love this car just not the performance plan on keeping it and passing it down to my son who loves the car even though hes only 4 right now he has good taste

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by zac85eldo View Post
    well lets put it this way I have 3000 to spend on the motor is it even plausible to have an engine swap done for 3k or would it be better to have someone rebuild it since its still running please help love this car just not the performance plan on keeping it and passing it down to my son who loves the car even though hes only 4 right now he has good taste
    The 4.1L is an anemic engine period and there is nothing you can do to help it out very much. However, it got pretty good fuel economy compared to the other engines at its time. I just transplanted a 4.9 in our 1987 Cadillac Deville and the difference was profound. It now has no problems keeping up with traffic. However, going to a 4.9 is not an option with your car.

If I had $3000 to fix this car, I would go with the Oldsmobile 403 transplant. However, I would also have your transmission rebuilt and upgraded so it can take the extra power output of the 403. Would you be doing the work yourself?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.