Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4.9L 91 Seville power loss... at a loss..

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
My 91 Seville lost practically all power the other day, and I am at a loss as to what is wrong with it. It has the 4.9 L V8 in it. I was driving up a hill and it felt like the gas pedal gave way. Suddenly I felt like i was coasting despite the engine still running. I was able to limp home, but it seems like there is hardly any power coming from the engine. I would give it gas, and it would rev, but hardly react. It idles much more rough than before, and when you give it some gas it will backfire. There is more of a distinct noise coming from the engine on the passenger side closer to the drivers compartment. Kind of a rattle/rumble. Not a knock.

I know its not a head gasket. I wouldnt think it could be timing since it is set with a chain. My only thoughts now are there is something wrong on the inside, or there is a vacuum issue, or something with the intake.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
So after doing some diggin I found the answer to my problem! The fuse for the left bank of fuel injectors had blown! got that swapped out and it runs great again. Now obviously there is something that caused that to occur, but that will be a different project. Just though I would post the solution. Thanks Ranger for your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.