4100HT shuts down in sharp left corners
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100HT shuts down in sharp left corners in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi. I've noticed problem with my 1983 Eldorado 4100HT. Sometimes the engine just shuts down in sharp left corners and ...
    nizki1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado ht4100

Cool 4100HT shuts down in sharp left corners

Hi. I've noticed problem with my 1983 Eldorado 4100HT. Sometimes the engine just shuts down in sharp left corners and then car hesitates to start. Sometimes it starts immediately but some times I must wait for a couple of minutes. Any idea what might be wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: 4100HT shuts down in sharp left corners

Fuel tank baffles most likely broke loose. You need hook up a fuel pressure gauge so you can see what it is doing when this happens. How much fuel is in the tank when it does this?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

How much fuel is in the tank when it does this?
    I'm betting 1/4 tank or less.

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Either the baffle is loose or missing or the short hose that joins the fuel pump to the fuel level sensor has a pin hole in it. Both require dropping the fuel tank. Rather easy on this car. with a jack under the tank, remove the nuts holding the 2 retaining straps and disconnect the multi wire plug by the filler neck then lower the tank gently, letting the straps pivot down with the tank. It will angle down to the rear. Remove hoses to the sender, then using a chisel and small hammer, rotate the locking ring loose and lift out the pump/sender assembly. Look closely at the short hose to the pump clamped to the sender, most likely cracked from age. Then shine a flashlight into the tank, is the baffle there and secure? I drove my car backwards onto metal ramps to gain room and blocked the front wheels and set the parking brake! It does work, right? If it were me, I'd change the fuel hoses at the sender to the fuel metal lines as well.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

As above you probably have a fuel delivery problem such as bad baffles. One quick fix to this is to always keep at least a quarter of a tank of fuel at all times. The other possibility would involve a bad connection to the distributor. Do you get any trouble codes set such as distributor signal loss?

Good luck.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Before you go to the trouble of pulling the tank, check the starter electrical harness where it drops down past the exhaust manifold. This harness also supplies the oil pressure switch which provides a secondary circuit for the fuel delivery system.
    I had the tank out of my 83 Eldo twice before I found the melted wires shorting out on the manifold. A little bit of tape….
    Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.