Engine Swaps and Expense
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Engine Swaps and Expense in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone have any advice to give regarding engine swaps into an Eldorado to replace the 4100? Mine will not ...
    ElDiablo83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Engine Swaps and Expense

Does anyone have any advice to give regarding engine swaps into an Eldorado to replace the 4100? Mine will not pull my hat from my head and with the hills around here I manage to squeeze out about 9 mpg. I am interested in reliability and compatibility with existing systems..

thanks,

Kerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brian Bray is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Kerry,

I have a 4100 engine with 105K in my '88 Allante which weighs about 3,200 lbs.

The car doesn't get out of town much and the A/C is on all the time (I live in Tucson!) and the average mileage comes up on the computer as 16.5. It moves up to 19 when I take the car on the road.

Granted, the 4100 may not have enough oomph for you, but I do think you can get better mileage out of it. As it appears that gasoline prices are going to settle in at $1.50 - $1.75/ gallon, you may want to re-think the swap idea and consider ways to increase the mileage of your present engine. Any swap to a more powerful engine will most likely mean LESS mileage so you'll have that expense AND the expense of the swap.

Brian Bray

Re: Engine Swaps and Expense

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bray
    Kerry,

I have a 4100 engine with 105K in my '88 Allante which weighs about 3,200 lbs.

The car doesn't get out of town much and the A/C is on all the time (I live in Tucson!) and the average mileage comes up on the computer as 16.5. It moves up to 19 when I take the car on the road.

Granted, the 4100 may not have enough oomph for you, but I do think you can get better mileage out of it. As it appears that gasoline prices are going to settle in at $1.50 - $1.75/ gallon, you may want to re-think the swap idea and consider ways to increase the mileage of your present engine. Any swap to a more powerful engine will most likely mean LESS mileage so you'll have that expense AND the expense of the swap.

Brian Bray
    That is a very good point Brian but this car will not maintain 55 mph on interstate inclines which, around here, will get one into trouble. I am not wanting to set any land speed records, I just want to be able to enjoy the driving experience as opposed to building up enough momentum to make it up the next hill without blocking traffic. Mileage is a consideration but the car is not very driveable at all now and I wish to be able to use it more often.

Thanks

Kerry Sewell

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    I recommend 4,9 litre engine - lots of torque and enough power for cruising!
    And - it must fit well - the block is same as your 4100 - just different heads, bore etc.
    MPG must be allmost same too.

Re: Engine Swaps and Expense

Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa
    I recommend 4,9 litre engine - lots of torque and enough power for cruising!
    And - it must fit well - the block is same as your 4100 - just different heads, bore etc.
    MPG must be allmost same too.
    That sounds great, but will the 4.9 go in the engine bay with a north/south orientation and parallel transmission or does it have to be east/west with newer style transaxle. By the way, the 67 Eldorado is my absolute favortie of all of them..

Thanks,

Kerry

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    4,9 is east/west in newer Caddys, but i think, its not a big problem to put inline too...
    If you want to keep your current transmission (THM325-4L four-speed overdrive automatic) - about it i dont know - i think maybe its too weak for this engine.
    4,9 Eldo use 4T60-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive.
    And - its consumption is about 16 mpg...
    Thanks, somehow i like 67 Eldo too

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.