JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By drewsdeville
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; MY 95 4.9 sometimes dies at a stop. Full tank of gas. The codes say "MAP is out of range". ...
    Gregor77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 deville

JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related problem

MY 95 4.9 sometimes dies at a stop. Full tank of gas. The codes say "MAP is out of range". I assume I can replace the MAP myself but do I have to have the codes cleared before it works? Also, can I clear the codes on my dash or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Next question: as I drove on the higway at around 68+ MPH I would feel the transmission ever so slightly shift back an forth, depending on the speed. Could the above MAP issue be causing this problem? You could hardly feel it shift.

Final Question: I cannot get Cruise to engage. There is a code that says Left front speed sensor continuity or something like that. Can I change that and if so, where the heck is it?

Is there a good repair manual you recommend for all these codes and this car?

Thanks for your time,
    Gregor77

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related pro

What's the question? The diagnostics says check the MAP sensor. It either isn't getting vacuum or it is not working. A bad MAP will cause all your symptoms. Check Ebay for a fsm, they are very valuable if you do your own maintenance.

Gregor77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 deville

Re: JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related pro

My question was "if I replace the part (MAP) do I need to have a dealer clear the codes or is it done on the dash?"
    Thanks,

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

You can clear the codes yourself. Alll of that can be done on your dash which buttons you push on your climate control. Read the sticky at the top of the page, "How to pull codes". I belive yours is still OBD 1, was right on the border of the change to OBD 2.

If you have a base DeVille, you should have the 4.9L, correct? You don't have a Northstar do you? The MAP is very easy to change on a 4.9L. I have some pictures, will post those later.

Fix the MAP problem before you assume there is a trans problem. When you mentioned you can't get the cruise to engage, and have a MAP problem, sounds like you have a vacuum line off or something leaking a lot of vacuum. You might have a hose off the cruise solenoid.

Speed sensor code, jack up the wheel suspect location and pull the wheel off. Check the wiring harness for broken, worn insulation, disconnected things like that. You might have a hub going bad and if so, the hub will need to be replaced if the speed sensor is bad.

The FSM for your car is a set of 2 manuals, you need both if you are keeping this car and doing the work yourself.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

And if you insist on having new...

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

He has a 4.9, N* uses a MAF instead.

You dont even "have to" clear the codes as the system will recognize the new part after just one ignition cycle and then set the code as 'history'. It's one of the easiest sensors to change - 9/32 bolts x2, one connector, one vacuum hose. I agree with above, change that first. Many engine issues can feel like trans problems. Also there are a handful of codes that when set current, will disable the cruise control. MAP could be one of them. I dont think the cruise relies on the speed sensor since I have the same engine control system but no speed sensors. Could be wrong. :dunno:

+1 for FSM. Priceless.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

FWIW, like many recent engines, the N* uses a combination of BOTH a map and maf sensor.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

This is what your MAP sensor looks like. It is on a bracket above the valve cover.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    FWIW, like many recent engines, the N* uses a combination of BOTH a map and maf sensor.

God dammit drew. God dammit.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Sorry. Just wanted to make it clear that a question about a MAP sensor doesn't automatically make it a 4.X topic. That could create some confusion
    Sevillian273 and Sevillian273 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.