ACDELCO best water pump?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, ACDELCO best water pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What's the best water pump to buy without breaking my wallet? I want to go with ACDELCO. I see two ...
    BLMDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 deville 4.9

ACDELCO best water pump?

What's the best water pump to buy without breaking my wallet? I want to go with ACDELCO. I see two listed on rockauto.com
    PN 252720 @ $51.79 without the gasket
    PN 251595 @ $166.79 with gasket

What's the best way to go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: ACDELCO best water pump?

I have heard alot of complaints about cheap replacement water pumps. My car sat in moth balls for 6 years until 2 years ago. The gasket was leaking, but the pump was good and I just went ahead and replaced it. I used to deal alot with a GM dealer, so I went ahead and got a new pump from there. Nearly fainted when I found out how much, but the parts guy asked if I want the good one that will last or the one if I'm getting rid of the car. GM dealers will always be more expensive, I didn't know about rockauto.com at that time either. I bought the expensive one and haven't had any problems yet. I also did not want to do the job over again for quite awhile.

I guess what im trying to get at is the 252 720 that much inferior to the 251 720 to explaine the $100 price difference?

251 595*

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Sometimes you have to be careful as price doesn't necessarily dictate quality, but rather warranty. A lot of times, the two parts are the exact same piece, the more expensive having a significantly longer warranty than the cheap one.

sprocket is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '88 Eldorado

I bought a rebuilt at the auto parts store and had to replace it within a year. The second one is new but not AC Delco. No problems with this one so far.

Just ordered acdelco 251 595 new on ebay for $147 with free shipping

Now all i need is a set of torx bits and a gasket and probably some adhesive.

Any thoughts on what kind of gasket to get? Will an aftermarket one be ok?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

The pump should come with one

If the gasket does not come with it, Felpro or Victor should be fine.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

After having Delco ones go within 2 years I go with whatever cheapest NEW one I can find. Skip rebuilt altogether.

Well the damage is done part in the mail. Will keep that in mind for future reference.

But anyway just bought a t45 torx bit. (too broke to buy a set) a new serpintine belt and a tensioner pully for a little while im at it preventive maintenance. The pully had a little play and was suspect for the grinding noise I've been hearing.

So far this project has run me a little over $200 not too bad seeing as im doing it right. I want the best for my ride but I've been doing some shopping around to get the most bang for my buck.

Still need to get some coolant and a good seal for the gasket but if all goes right i should have every thing done this weekend.

It's tough getting in there, but make sure you get all of that old gasket off. Good luck.

Thanks i might need it.
    I removed the battery, drier and the coolant tank. Or what ever that thing is, that was in the way. Loosened the water pump pully and removed the belt then pulley.

After that its not too bad. I hit the bolts with some degreaser and scrubbed off all the crud that was built up with an old tooth brush. Then I hit them with some WD 40

Any ideas on how to clean off the old gasket on a budget?

I have a scraper that has a holder for a razor blade. Has a long handle and I think I got it at home depot years ago. If you want to scuff it a little to clean it good, get a piece of sand paper and cut a piece to fit over the end of a paint stir stick. I only mention the goofy tools with long reach because my experience is a little tough getting enough clearance between frame and engine. I think I may have taken the alternator off also. and the cruise bracket. and I also took the rh front wheel off. and the plastic splash shield. I tend to get carried away tho.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

I know a former GM tech who says you can unbolt the front motor mount and jack up the engine for better access to the pump. Maybe the rear also, I cant remember... Either way, the motor mount nuts are easily accessed from below the subframe, 2 per mount.

I like to use this on gaskets, especially water pump gaskets since using a conservative amount of sealer is critical. I've even used it on head gaskets. Cheap insurance.

As far as removing old gasket material: Acetone and elbow grease, mostly the grease.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.