ACDELCO best water pump? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, ACDELCO best water pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ya that's what my dad told me to get for the gasket. But the water pump i got came with ...
    BLMDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 deville 4.9
    Ya that's what my dad told me to get for the gasket. But the water pump i got came with a bad gasket so they are sending me a new one in the mail.

When i unbolt the water pump is it going to make a mess?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: ACDELCO best water pump?

I haven't changed one of these yet but like any water pump, you can expect coolant to spill out once you separate it from the engine.

Should i put a drain pan under it?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

If you don't want a mess, you'll want to put a drain pan under it.

Just removed the old pump should i use antiseize on the bolts when i put them back on or do they need any sealnt

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Make sure you get the surface on the cover clean. If the threads are rusty, nuts and bolts will not screw in easily by hand, get a wire brush and clean them up real good. I didn't use any sealer or antiseize on mine, just clean and dry. Others have used a product called gasket cinch, (sp)

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Drain the radiator first to eliminate most of the mess. I never unbolt any motor mounts because there is always enough flex in them to let me jack it up about 1 inch to get the clearance I need. Be careful not to tighten those small bolts too tight. They are easy to strip.

I got it all back together i used a little bit of sealnt for the bolts just in case. The old ones looked like they might have had some on them so i wire brushed it off cleaned off the old gasket real good and put it all back together. Although there was a bunch of gunk in the coolant tank so im probably going to take it back off tonight and clean it up. I don't want that cap to circulate through the system.

My first time doing a water pump and honestly i thought the hardest part was getting the belt back on. I didn't have to jack the motor up I had plenty of clearance once i removed everything out from infront of the motor.

Im just a stubborn SOB who doesn't like to pay anyone to work on my car. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I can't wait to fire it up and see how she does (i figured i would let the gasket set over night) i also replaced just about every vacuum line i seen. Also put a new idler pully and belt thermoatat and temp sensor.

I am waiting on my FSM and I am thinking about tackling my heating and air next and hopefully get this suspension kit on there.

Sounds like you're good to go. I quit using sealer on gaskets decades ago. Just my experience and just the way I do things which I'm sure a war could get started over this as everybody has their way of doing it, so I won't say anymore on this. Also look at taking the front wheel off, pull the pins holding the splash shield and you have tons of room from the bottom.

A lot of don't want to pay someone to work on their car and that's why we are here.

You ordered a FSM, good for you! Best investment you can make now that you are doing most or all of your own work.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    Sounds like you're good to go. I quit using sealer on gaskets decades ago. Just my experience and just the way I do things which I'm sure a war could get started over this as everybody has their way of doing it, so I won't say anymore on this. Also look at taking the front wheel off, pull the pins holding the splash shield and you have tons of room from the bottom.

A lot of don't want to pay someone to work on their car and that's why we are here.

You ordered a FSM, good for you! Best investment you can make now that you are doing most or all of your own work.
    1994&95s have a bit more room to work there then other years. You can get to everything from the top but I usually take out the battery and rad overflow to get more room.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    1994&95s have a bit more room to work there then other years. You can get to everything from the top but I usually take out the battery and rad overflow to get more room.
    Yes, those too.^^^^^

Update

After replacing just about every vacuum line i could find in the engine bay. Once i started her up i started checking for vacuum. After finding a hiss on the passenger side by the fire wall on the line that runs down off of the T. One that i replaced i found the leak. Turns out i didn't have the line on all the way. After securing the line, low and behold my blower motor kicked on and started blowing air like never before.

Fix it no big deal

Once i got her out on the road she ran smoother than ever before. No hesitation when i hit the gas, nice and quiet. She just purred.

And i was extremely happy with it.

Until...

I got on the highway and the dreaded "ENGINE HOT" light came on (A050) accompanied by the A/C compressor off.

( wich is unplugged because i just replaced it not too long ago and wanted to wait until I fixed the blower motor and recharge the system)

After some near heart failure and head scratching i realized im an idiot after consulting with my dad.

Turns out you are supposed to leave the engine running while filling the radiator.

Who da knew?

lol so after sitting on the side of the road and doing so i finally got her home and there she sits to cool down until tomorrow when i can properly fill her up right.

Any suggestions on how to do so, aside from don't be a retard?

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

MAYBE, MAYBE NOT.............I'm Bumping this because I'm so disgusted with my ordeal. See my Delco and Cardone Waterpump fiasco:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...91-eldo-3.html

I would've told him to keep his old pump if it was not giving him any problems or find an original in the junk yard!

Surprisingly, Rockauto no longer lists the more expensive #251595 pump that I bought and failed within a year unless they are just out of stock.

Hopefully he purchased a new Delco Tensioner or used the original o.e. one as long as it wasn't vibrating. Only a therory of mine and other pump failures that I'll need to test.

Quote Originally Posted by BLMDeville View Post
    What's the best water pump to buy without breaking my wallet? I want to go with ACDELCO. I see two listed on rockauto.com
    PN 252720 @ $51.79 without the gasket
    PN 251595 @ $166.79 with gasket

What's the best way to go?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.