84 CDV Code 37 and Code 53 (need help)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dennis93coupe
  • 2 Post By carnut
  • 2 Post By dennis93coupe
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 84 CDV Code 37 and Code 53 (need help) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Recently while driving, my check engine light came on and I retrieved the codes from onboard diagnostics only to find ...
    fslay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe DeVille

84 CDV Code 37 and Code 53 (need help)

Recently while driving, my check engine light came on and I retrieved the codes from onboard diagnostics only to find Code 37 and Code 53. Based on what I have found, Code 37 is a shorted MAT sensor circuit. I noticed there is a sensor located in front of the throttle body that has some exposed wires on the harness, and I was wondering if that's the correct sensor for Code 37? Looks like maybe a rat or squirrel chewed on the wires a bit. If so, do they make replacement harnesses and where can they be found?

Also, what is Code 53?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: 84 CDV Code 37 and Code 53 (need help)

Code 53 is a distributor signal interrupt. Check your connections at the distributor, maybe that rat got to your wires for the distributor also. Your best luck finding a harness is the salvage yard. Does this have a 4.1?

Yes it has a 4.1 engine. I found a sensor on rockauto that comes with a harness, but they look different from the OEM stuff. My original sensor has a round pluf and the new one has kind of a skinny two-prong plug. Just weren't sure they were the same

If you have a part number on your old one, you might compare it to the one on this site. If it's the MAT sensor, it looks like item #27. Click on the link for parts description and numbers.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...lse&ddlSm=Base Model&minorIndexID=6D0301901

nebulosity and nebulosity like this.

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The original sensor is no longer available. The updated sensor with short harness is a better sensor. The insulation on the original, over time, disentrigated and could come in contact with each other, shorting the sensor. Replace it with the Rock Auto piece and solder the 2 wires to the existing harness. The code 53 is probably a history code, often caused by setting timing somewhere in the car's past. I would erase it. If the 37 is a hard code, meaning its malfunctioning now, and not intermittant, you need the manual to properly fault trace it. To determine a hard code from a soft code you must count the number of times the code displays. 3 displays of the code number means its "hard" occuring now. A soft code displays twice and is either intermittant or a history code. I never try to diagnose soft codes, I erase them and wait to see if they return hard. The manual states that if its soft to not bother with diagnostics. The newer sensor is a proper replacement to prevent future false readings and might or might not fix the 37 code. MAT ( manifold air temperature)

carnut,

I was looking at the sensors at rockauto, and was wondering exactly which part number i need for the sensor with a harness...i want to be sure i get the right part. thanks

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Hi there,

I happened to be looking around on the internet for an exploded view (or any diagram for that matter) of the different components connected to the ht4100 engine, and I found that you've provided a link in this post to a diagram I am VERY interested in. However, the original image you've placed into the post shows up as broken. Is there ANY way I could get a copy of this original image from you? If so I would be most grateful!

Thanks in advance!

--Cherie
    http://1984coupedeville.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    If you have a part number on your old one, you might compare it to the one on this site. If it's the MAT sensor, it looks like item #27. Click on the link for parts description and numbers.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...lse&ddlSm=Base Model&minorIndexID=6D0301901

I believe it is item #21. Click on the info button for an illustration. Edit I noticed your link so thought I'd pay a visit. I am impressed. You need to post some pics of that Caddy.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...IX=2&SortKey=2
    nebulosity and nebulosity like this.

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Perfect!! Thank you!

I'll definitely have to post pictures sometime. Are people interested in pics of the outside of the car, or pictures of the work I do on it? I mostly have pictures of the work I do. I'm planning to do a photoshoot with the Caddy after I get it up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    Perfect!! Thank you!

I'll definitely have to post pictures sometime. Are people interested in pics of the outside of the car, or pictures of the work I do on it? I mostly have pictures of the work I do. I'm planning to do a photoshoot with the Caddy after I get it up and running.
    Both, inside and out. Whatever you have!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.