4100 stalling after intake gasket repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 stalling after intake gasket repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I finished replacing the intake gasket on my grandmothers car a few weeks ago (86 Deville 4100). The car ran ...
    sk187 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 86 Sedan Deville

4100 stalling after intake gasket repair

I finished replacing the intake gasket on my grandmothers car a few weeks ago (86 Deville 4100). The car ran fine for me while test driving but she says it is stalling out as she slows down and is about to stop and while accelerating from the stop.

I did notice when I was watching it the motor idle there was some smoke coming from under the carb. It almost looks like one big thick gasket (yellow in picture) about a inch thick under the carb was leaking. Could a bad gasket be the cause of the stalling?

Is there a way to turn up the idle of the engine? I know there is a bolt (red in picture) that looks like it can be turned out to keep the idle higher.

Any information would be helpful, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: 4100 stalling after intake gasket repair

Quote Originally Posted by sk187 View Post
    Could a bad gasket be the cause of the stalling?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sk187 View Post
    Is there a way to turn up the idle of the engine? I know there is a bolt (red in picture) that looks like it can be turned out to keep the idle higher.
    No

Thanks for the reply, what does the bolt in red do?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Sounds like you have vacuum leaks. Check all of your vacuum hoses and lines, fix any and all cracked and or broken hoses gaskets etc. Yes that thing circled in red in your photo controls the idle, ISC (idle solenoid control) more to it than just turning out the screw. I don't think that's a carb, most likely a throttle body with fuel injectors up top.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    Sounds like you have vacuum leaks. Check all of your vacuum hoses and lines, fix any and all cracked and or broken hoses gaskets etc. Yes that thing circled in red in your photo controls the idle, ISC (idle solenoid control) more to it than just turning out the screw. I don't think that's a carb, most likely a throttle body with fuel injectors up top.
    Thanks I will check all the vacuum lines tomorrow.

Does anyone know what you would call that large gasket under the throttle body?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

"under throttle body gasket" or throttle body base gasket. With the engine temp up to normal, raise the idle at the throttle body with one hand while pushing hard on that "red" screw with your other. The shaft will retract slowly. Then quickly remove its wiring connector. Then let the engine come back to idle. It will be about 500 RPM. Verify .060 gap between the red bolt and the throttle arm. Adjust the shaft as necc. to get this gap. Shut off engine. Reinstall the wiring connector and restart the car. It should idle around 650 in gear warm, A/C off.

----------

Make sure you quickly remove the wiring connector at the idle speed motor (ISC) If left retracted and powered, it will short that idle circuit in the ECM!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

FWIW, you shouldn't have to push "hard" on the ISC plunger. All you need to do is close the contacts on the "closed throttle switch" and the ISC will automatically retract. No force required. Those are only plastic gears inside...

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I said hard because most folks will just press on it and think it will power in. The most important thing is to QUICKLY remove its electric connector so as to not damage the ECM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.