4.9 - intake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 - intake in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I dont remember where, but I read somewhere on these forums that air intake system for a Yukon would fit ...
    Sadis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille 4.9

4.9 - intake

I dont remember where, but I read somewhere on these forums that air intake system for a Yukon would fit on the 4.9L. Wondering if anyone knew if that was true, and which year yukon would have the same fitting?

this is what i was looking at.

http://www.carid.com/1992-gmc-yukon-...em-253159.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: 4.9 - intake

$267.90 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a pipe with a filter on the end!!!

Unless you have done significant modifications to the heads, cam, intake, etc etc, the stock setup with a clean filter can physically flow more cubic feet per minute than your 4.9 could EVER demand. Of course that's no fun and it doesnt give you anything shiny to show your friends but at least you'll still have the 270 bucks in your pocket!

The single most significant performance increase you can give this engine is a few degrees of timing and that costs absolutely nothing.

well its my money, and my car. Thanks for not answering my question.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

You can make ANYTHING fit with a little time and determination. Not sure what you mean by "will it have the same fitting". What do you mean, "fitting"?

yeah I didnt know what else to call it.
    Honestly dont know the technical names for anything, "fitting": I was generally talking about the way the intake tube was shaped. as they are shaped different angles for different engines.

on the attached image i circled the rubber piece that is oval. (whereas intake tubes are round.)

I put together a cheap intake kit by spectre to test it out. and wrapped it with two hose clamps to secure it.just wanted a better fit thats oval to 3-4" round, i guess.

Spectre modular air intake works fine and i can just get a brute force AEM filter for $40. I just wanted something better looking, like the actual kit .
    Attached Images

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

go to the junkyard and compare the throttle bodies

I know that the rubber coupling on the car will round out and conform to most aftermarket intake tubes - I've seen tons of examples on Car Domain. Just squeeze it into a circle and measure the diameter. There will be a bit of custom work involved to make anything but the OEM into a true 'cold air' intake as it draws air from behind the headlight rather than behind the hot radiator...

As far as looks go, an old school round air cleaner is another option since the throttle body is the same 5 1/8" diameter as a carburetor.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

I actually considered that ^^ for my 4.9 swap but the 4.1 intake hat has a snout that points under the hood (above the radiator) so it is probably more effective

Something I would like to do (but have no likelihood of ever trying) is to get one of the dual-snout intakes from a 305 TBI Camaro (car domain pic)

It certainly would be neat however with that alt in the way, you'd have to get really creative! I only use the one in the pic for testing so I dont have to r&r the whole intake assembly over and over...

I have my intake filter routed behind my headlight, is that good or bad?

I do apologize for dumb questions I may ask, and I thank you all for your input, just got the car a month ago. never really been 'into' cars until recently.

that pic i posted wasnt mine I just pulled it from google.

could anybody point me in the direction to what timing adjustment needs to be done for it to run better? Easy? never done it, i just dont want to mess anything up.

You just want the filter to be shielded from any hot engine bay air. The ballpark estimate is 1hp per every 10 degrees air temp. So if the intake is pulling 120deg air from the radiator vs 70deg outside air, you lose 5hp. It's difficult to build a true cold air intake 'shield' for one of those big cone type air filters especially with such limited space - another reason why I recommend the stock air box assembly over anything else.

There are a number of small mods you can do to these engines, however there are two relatively simple ones that make the most difference. One being a performance muffler vs the stock piece and two, advancing the ignition timing up to 4 degrees from stock. This involves turning the distributor clockwise ever so slightly while using a timing light to watch the notch in the crank pulley move up the scale from 10deg to 14 deg. You will need a timing light and a distributor wrench. This can be risky if you dont know what you are doing because too much advance can give you what I like to call 'ventilated pistons'. The other caveat is you will have to run the highest octane fuel available at the pump. The pro's though are a big bump in power and an increase in gas mileage. I dont know what effect it has on emissions though... Google for more info.
    Sadis and Sadis like this.

yeah had a Flowmaster 80 put on two days ago, ill probably wait on the ignition timing because I dont know what parts are distributor, crank pulley etc.. still learning. probably try to find someone to help... Also yeah I only use the 91 (highest available here) at the pump since ive had it.

Thanks for the info

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Sadis View Post
    yeah had a Flowmaster 80 put on two days ago,

Thanks for the info
    I'd like to see a picture with the Flowmaster on it.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

When my buddy get his dyno installed in Febuary I'm more than will to put out the money to see the dif between a conicle filter and a stock air box.

On an otherwise stock engine?

Zero.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.