'82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :( in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I just bought an 82 fleetwood coupe that currently does not run. I thought it was the fuel ...
    Kadillac G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DTS and 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood D'elegance cp

'82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :(

Hey guys,

I just bought an 82 fleetwood coupe that currently does not run. I thought it was the
    fuel pump (because i didnt hear it when i tried to start the car) so i replaced it. The car still turns over but does not catch. After testing, i found that i was not getting power to the pump. Im getting 12-11.9 volts at the relay but thats as far ( from what i tested) as the power goes. I followed a wiring diagram but its a little confusing. Anyways, the fuel
    Pump is not getting power and need to know if the ecm would have anything to do with it not receiving power (as mentioned by the gentleman who sold it to me). Oh and by the way my ignition switch looks as if someone tried to steal the car so now it can be started with a flat head, would anything cause this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :(

Oh and btw, i went thru all 152 pages of this forum to find answers but the ones that had similar problems never responded what the exact problem was so i tried to find out but to not avail. Thanks for any suggestions

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Give the engine a shot of starting fluid. If it runs for a second you have a fuel delivery problem. If it does not, Then you have an ignition problem. The fuel pump only runs for a second or two when you first turn on the ignition. This pre charges the fuel system. It should also run during cranking. After starting it continues to run unless there is a loss of oil pressure or the engine rpm goes to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca36606 View Post
    Give the engine a shot of starting fluid. If it runs for a second you have a fuel delivery problem. If it does not, Then you have an ignition problem. The fuel pump only runs for a second or two when you first turn on the ignition. This pre charges the fuel system. It should also run during cranking. After starting it continues to run unless there is a loss of oil pressure or the engine rpm goes to zero.
    Ok i sprayed it like you said it ran for a second then died. Im pretty sure its a fuel problem because i tested the connection under rhe rear bumper with a multimeter and got nothing while my assistant turned it on. Since i know in getting power at the relay i was thinking of running a new wire from the relay to the wiring harness under the rear bumper. But ONLY IF i know for fact it goes from the relay/fuse box directly to the fuel sending unit

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Replace the relay, simpler. Also if the harness to the oil pressure sender is unplugged or loose, damaged, you will get no power to the pump. Its mounted just above the oil filter on the filter adapter. In that location, its very close to exhaust manifold heat. The ECM provides a ground to complete the circuit. While cranking, if the ECM sees no oil pressure it wont complete the ground.

Thanks, i'll let you know how it went. The relays are brand new. Anything easy, i already fixed/replaced lol. Well except the oil switch but ill be doing that today! Thanks again!

Thanks to the help of Carnut, i may have found the problem. In accordance with with wiring diagram what he said is obviously true. So after replacing my ignition switch ( at which my horn wont cut off now) i looked at the oil pressure switch and harness. The oil pressure switch is worse than the harness

Now, i have a new oil pressure switch, question is how do i fix this harness? I believe its uncleanable(?). Can i cut it at the wires and splice another harness from another HT4100 into it? Or is there an easier way?

Check with your local auto parts supply house. A lot of them carry switch and harness pigtails. They may have one for the oil pressure switch. The same plug is used in a lot of GM models.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca36606 View Post
    Check with your local auto parts supply house. A lot of them carry switch and harness pigtails. They may have one for the oil pressure switch. The same plug is used in a lot of GM models.
    Yea i picked up a new switch but ill check for a new harness. Either way, its ok to cut this one off right?

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Wait until you have the pigtail/connector before cutting anything.

Most likely the new one will be a connector with a couple of wires hanging out. If so then just cut the wires you have there and use a couple of butt connectors to attach the pigtail, and cover them with some shrink wrap to prevent them from grounding out.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Wait until you have the pigtail/connector before cutting anything.

Most likely the new one will be a connector with a couple of wires hanging out. If so then just cut the wires you have there and use a couple of butt connectors to attach the pigtail, and cover them with some shrink wrap to prevent them from grounding out.
    Thats good advice right there thanks. I was ahooting to find a good one at the junk yard but ill check advanced or autozone tomorrow.

I believe the part number is but double check it.

Oriley's: BWD PT5832

NAPA: ECH EC428 Expensive

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Routing of that harness is important as you see. The splice should be long enough to keep it away from the exhaust. Wish I could be there when it starts!

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Routing of that harness is important as you see. The splice should be long enough to keep it away from the exhaust. Wish I could be there when it starts!
    Me too bro, if it wasnt for you, i would have gave up on my dream car. Ive wanted this car since i was in the third grade (im 28 now). My wife gets tired of me talking about it so much lol thanks again and ill make sure to do as you said about routing because i was just gonna cut like three inches back and splice it. Good looking out man. I appreciate everything!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.