'82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :( - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :( in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It must've happen when I replaced those fuses then when I tested and hard wired the injectors it blew then. ...
    Kadillac G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DTS and 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood D'elegance cp

Re: '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :(

It must've happen when I replaced those fuses then when I tested and hard wired the injectors it blew then. But I'm going back in a lil bit to look at exactly what you mention and trace lines. Thanks for all your help bro.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Does it run?

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Does it run?
    Im actually sitting next to the car as I write this. This is what I've done so far today: first thing was to check and trace the injector wires, they turned up clean and intact. No cuts, pinches or anything. Ok now, the ECM that is for an '83-'84 was still in the car. I put a new 3 amp fuse in the fuse block and turned it to bulb test run. The injector fuse blew. So I went under the hood and switched the injector connectors around. Put a new fuse in and repeated the process. The same fuse blew. So apparently it doesn't matter which injector is connected to that wire, that line will always blow. So I put the "original" ECM back in, replaced the fuse, turned the car to test run, fuse DID NOT BLOW. but when trying to actually turn the car on it didn't try to catch. But with the ECM that doesnt belong in the car, the car will turn on and run until the injector fuse blows out. The original ECM that came with the car is no good is it?

Ok well I put in a new ECM in the car new injectors, and the car STILL won't start. But the car will run pretty damn strong when I pour a lil gas down the throttle body. No longer am I blowing the fuel injector fuse. When I try to start the car and check down in the ports of the throttle body, it's dry. I checked the fuel pressure port and I got fuel going to the throttle body.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Did you connect a pressure gauge to the port and get a pressure reading?
    Low pressure could be caused by a pluged fuel filter or even a pluged strainer in the gas tank

There is a tool called a "NOID tester" it plugs onto the injector and lights up if power is getting to the injector. This fuel pump requires very low pressure to spray fuel. Can you rent a pressure gauge from an auto parts store?

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    Did you connect a pressure gauge to the port and get a pressure reading?
    Low pressure could be caused by a pluged fuel filter or even a pluged strainer in the gas tank
    I put a brand new fuel pump, strainer and fuel filter.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    There is a tool called a "NOID tester" it plugs onto the injector and lights up if power is getting to the injector. This fuel pump requires very low pressure to spray fuel. Can you rent a pressure gauge from an auto parts store?
    Then I'll get the pressure tester tomorrow from autozone. Can I get the noid tester there also? And if not, where can I find it? Is testing the connectors with a multimeter the wrong way?

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Stuff that flickers on and off is hard to test with a multimeter. The pros use an oscilloscope. I use a small 12v interior light bulb, you can see it flash on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Stuff that flickers on and off is hard to test with a multimeter. The pros use an oscilloscope. I use a small 12v interior light bulb, you can see it flash on and off.
    Hmmm that's a good idea. If I turn the car to bulb test then the injectors should be pulsing the way they would if the car was running correct?

No, the engine must be cranking over for the injectors to pulse. Turning the key to bulb test only powers up the Idle speed motor anticipating a start up.

Ok turns out the reman injectors were locked up. So I paid for new ones from autozone. Before I out the new ECM in, the fuel pump was working (installed new) but now I'm not getting power to the fuel pump connectors underneath the rear bumper. Only place I'm getting power is at the relay (which is also new) and to remind, I replaced the oil pressure sensor and it's connector. Could the MAT sensor or coolant temp sensor tell the ECM to shut power off to the fuel pump?

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Had a similar situation with my 83 Eldo, No power to the FP harness connector at the rear of the car. In my case I kept blowing fuses. The relay checked good so I started back at the tank and chased the wiring, all tested good, but still no power to the pump.
    Turns out the wire to the oil pressure switch had migrated up against and melted to the right ehaust manufold shorting the circut.
    I too replaced a lot of stuff chasing this problem. Good luck.

Power is supplied for only a few seconds just after the key is turned to either "run" or the "start" position. While cranking, fuel should spray from both injectors assuming the oil pressure sender sees oil pressure. "Locked Up" injectors? what does that mean? You have power to them, but they do not spray? Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to pay someone to diagnose this. diagnosing an engine that doesn't start is much easier than an engine that starts at times.

Yea I supplied power to the old injectors directly from the battery. Burned both of them. Yea I found that the oil pressure switch AND the connector was burned so I replaced both with brand new parts. Would it matter if the fuse for the battery at the fuse box blows EVERY SINGLE TIME I PUT a fuse in the block? I'm very good with cars and never ran into a problem I couldn't fix but the problem is this engine is truly a one of a kind pain in the ass. I don't think regular mechs can diagnose this car

The next part you should buy is the factory service manual! This is a very simple 2 injector system. I say again, if its not running a mechanic will be able to diagnose it. The mechanic with the factory manual should have no problem. A blowing fuse is a result of a bare wire touching metal somewhere.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.