'82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :( - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :( in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does it run???...
    carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: '82 Fleetwood D'elegance coupe problem :(

Does it run???

Kadillac G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DTS and 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood D'elegance cp

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Does it run???
    Almost. I was actually working on it today. The fuel pump now has power and is sending fuel to the tbi. Problem is the injectors are not getting power. So my friend unhooked the connectors at the injectors and as I was turning the engine he jumped the injectors directly from the battery and my car ran beautifully. We didn't run more than like 5-6 seconds but he told me the injectors was spraying the way they should. So I have. We hope for the car. But my question is, the power for the injectors is supplied by the ECM right? Guy I bought it from said he had ppl look at it and determine it was the ECM. Since I can't buy an ECM anywhere (only prom chips) can I get one from a junkyard and use my prom chips? Btw there's a leak in the area where the ECM sits so I guess it's plausible for it to short out

The ECM provides a ground completing the circuit in 98% of its control. It rarely provides power. If it does, its less than 5 volts. Yes the ECM can be swapped using your PROM.

The ECM provides a ground completing the circuit in 98% of its control. It rarely provides power. If it does, its less than 5 volts. Yes the ECM can be swapped using your PROM.
    So in your expert opinion, what would cause loss of power to the connectors for the injectors ? It was checked by a volt meter.

So the voltmeter showed no power? If so, my guess would be the ECM, assuming the harness wasn't pinched under the air cleaner spacer which could short out the circuit to the ECM. You did check both injector fuses in the relay panel under the steering column right?

So the voltmeter showed no power? If so, my guess would be the ECM, assuming the harness wasn't pinched under the air cleaner spacer which could short out the circuit to the ECM. You did check both injector fuses in the relay panel under the steering column right?
    I made sure to check the fuses after finding no power. But yea, no power to the connectors

ehall is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

I don't know about your 82 so this is some speculation. With most FI cars, the computer looks at the amount of air flowing through the engine and applies the correct amount of fuel to match. On my 85 there are also two 1.5A fuses, one for each injector, under the dashboard. If neither of the injectors are firing then my guess is that it's a computer error. It's also possible that both fuses are blown.

I would try a replacement ECM for grins. You can find them for $25-40 on ebay and junkyards and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    I don't know about your 82 so this is some speculation. With most FI cars, the computer looks at the amount of air flowing through the engine and applies the correct amount of fuel to match. On my 85 there are also two 1.5A fuses, one for each injector, under the dashboard. If neither of the injectors are firing then my guess is that it's a computer error. It's also possible that both fuses are blown.

I would try a replacement ECM for grins. You can find them for $25-40 on ebay and junkyards and such.
    I figured as much. Thanks bro. I found a ht4100 in a junkyard so I'll go pull the ECM out tomorrow since a lot of ppl say it's rare for the ECM to go bad. I believe the only reason my went bad is because water leaked on/into it

Ok so I come to find out that all HT4100 ECM s are not the same. Apparently I can only use an ECM from an '82 4100 engine. Before I go spending an absurd amount of money for this thing, anyone got any suggestions? Problem still remains about lack of power to the fuel injectors

ehall is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Check on car-part.com first

Is your 4.1 the V6? I can't find an ECM for the v8.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Check on car-part.com first

Is your 4.1 the V6? I can't find an ECM for the v8.
    Mine is a v8 as well. The part number from cardone is 77-5650. eBay it, and you'll find a couple but they want some crazy money for remans

In my foggy memory, the ECM was the same for many years but the PROM had to be inserted into the replacement unit.

In my foggy memory, the ECM was the same for many years but the PROM had to be inserted into the replacement unit.
    And that's what I thought, but I went to the junkyard today and found an '83 and 84' coupe deville both with the same ECM but they were different from mine. Mine has TWO prom chips while the cars in the junkyard have only ONE. WTH?!? BUT, mine is apparently NOT FACTORY! It says reman on it and the ones in the junkyard both had stickers saying GM

ook the old ECM out and put in the one from an '83 in.
    Connected the battery cuz I don't leave it connected.
    Checked the injector fuses. Found one to be blown. Replaced it with a 5 amp. (yea I know I shouldn't but that's all I had) turn the key, and SHE STARTED! But died cuz the fuse blew The other injector fuse never blew, so with that being said, is it safe to assume that the original ECM is still good? And where the hell do I go from here?

You back trace the wiring harness for that injector. Start at the throttle body 1st. Easy to pinch the harness under the air filter spacer as I mentioned earlier. You also said earlier that you checked those fuses and both were good? And since then the battery's been disconnected. So why was one blown before you turned the key this time?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.