Car not starting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Car not starting in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a 1993 cadillac eldorado 4.9. i was driving down the road the other day and my car just ...
    cadillaceldo93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 cadillac eldorado

Car not starting

i have a 1993 cadillac eldorado 4.9. i was driving down the road the other day and my car just stopped running. all my lights were still on so i know its not because of the battery. but i checked the battery anyways and it tested good. all signs pointed to the fuel pump. so i changed the fuel pump yesterday and my car still wont start. it turns over sounds like its about to start but never does. ive changed the spark plugs and wires, egr valve, all my air hoses around the TB.
    im at work right now so im in a hurry with this message. let me know if ive left something out or if you need more information. ive ran the trouble codes and nothing has came up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Car not starting

the only thing ive fixed since this problem happened is the fuel pump. all the other things i changed i have done with in the last year. hope that clears up my message

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I assume you changed the fuel filter when you changed the pump. Did you throw a gauge on it after the pump change to see what you have for pressure on the fuel rail? If everything checks out there, check for spark. It could be electrical problem.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If I recall this car had issues with the crank and cam position sensors. Early designs were prone to failure. the parts you've replaced would have paid for a proper diagnosis

Sevillian273 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Ignition module. It's under the distributor cap.

No crank sensor on the 4.9, and it will start and run with a bad cam sensor.

Spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start. If it does not fire, it's a spark issue.

ive replace the ignition control module before. its not having the signs of that going bad. i believe. my problem might be my distrubtor its self. i took the spark wire off the distributor cap and tried to start it and didnt see any kind of spark going from the distributor to the wire. ive tried putting gas or carb fluid in the throttle body and it still wont start.

Sevillian273 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaceldo93 View Post
    my car just stopped running.
    its not having the signs of that going bad.
    ^^That IS a sign of a bad ignition module! I had an aftermarket piece from autozone and it lasted less than a year. Also check if you have 12v at the B+ terminal on the coil while the ignition is on. Be aware that if the module is bad, the computer wont fire the injectors - this could mislead you into thinking it's a fuel problem when it's likely a no-spark problem.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

the engine just turning off while driving is the exact symptom of a failing ignition module

they get REALLY hot and will burn themselves out, so you need to be very liberal with the thermal compound during installation

yeah i remember it going out in 2007 and it would get hot and the car wouldnt start. and it got progessivly worse but would start as soon as the chip cooled off. and it never just died while i was driving just when i turned it off and tried starting it again would the problem occur. this symtom happened last winter so i changed the part thinking that it was the control module but it wasnt. it was the spark plugs and wires. but there is a possibility that i didnt put enough of that "stuff" down so the chip may have burnt up again. the "stuff" im talking about is the gooey stuff that you put on the chip. i remember being in a hurry changing it. the only reason i didnt think of the control module being the problem is because it died while i was driving. im going to go home when i get off work and look at the chip. is there anyway just by looking to see if the module is bad? like burnt looking?

smell it maybe, I don't know if there's any simple tests

i changed the module out lastnight. its still not starting

coil maybe... check for ground continuity on the coil body and the block, then check for voltages

ok. and ive been talking to a mechanic that lives down the road. he thinks that since its a cadillac when i installed my fuel pump i have to enter in a code or something to get my car to recognize the fuel pump. is that true at all? i figured my manuel would have said something or the fuel pump directions would have said something about it?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Urban legend. No truth to that statement Have you verified fuel pressure with a gauge?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

ok. and ive been talking to a mechanic that lives down the road. he thinks that since its a cadillac when i installed my fuel pump i have to enter in a code or something to get my car to recognize the fuel pump.
    .... Stay away from that mechanic, he doesn't know anything about Cadillac.... Do you have a FSM, your year and model there are 2 books. At times like these, it is invaluable.You will never get the injectors to work until you get spark. Speed sensor is in the distributor, AKA hall effect switch..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.