Car not starting - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Car not starting in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; the manual i got came straight from a cadillac dealership. it says 1992 but as far as i know its ...
    cadillaceldo93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 cadillac eldorado

Re: Car not starting

the manual i got came straight from a cadillac dealership. it says 1992 but as far as i know its pretty much the same thing. my old neighbor worked at the dealership and gave me the manual.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I don't know what's different from 92 to 93, but they are different books...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...item35b54e809f

Never heard of needing to program in the fuel pump. You might try the Eldorado forums.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

An engine needs 4 things to run. fuel, spark, proper timing and compression. Have we ruled out a failed timing chain? Not knowing mileage is why I ask. Go back to basics and verify that when TDC is in line on the pulley, that the #1 cylinder is truly at TDC. We are all assuming electrical when in fact it could be mechanical.

i have 237,000 miles on my car. how do i check the timing? what does TDC mean?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

TDC (top dead center) How to set the timing is in that book you have. At that mileage the timing chain or cam gear could have easily failed. This is not an interference engine meaning the valves are not damaged when the gear or chain fail unlike most overhead cam motors. Thats the good news!

ok im at work right now i can do the timing at home by myself fairly easily? and on my way home im going to buy a coil i guess and see if it starts my car. if not ill just take it back. ill also set the timiing and see if it starts. i havent been able to check the fuel pressure or check the voltage on my coil i dont really have the tools to do that i guess i could borrow them from orielly's to check those things. thanks for all the help hopefully i get my car started soon

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

The easy way to diagnose your Cadillac is to read the codes and check the fuel pressure and check the spark. That will tell you a lot. The mileage is pretty high imo so everything is about at the end of its life. If you have no spark, I think it's easier to buy a new/rebuilt distributor than to buy the individual parts. The instructions for reading the codes is at the top of this section of the forum.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html

theres are no current codes. i replaces the coil lastnight and my car started. but its acting really weird. it idles at 2500. but the car does start now. i tried running through the codes again an still no current codes.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaceldo93 View Post
    theres are no current codes. i replaces the coil lastnight and my car started. but its acting really weird. it idles at 2500. but the car does start now. i tried running through the codes again an still no current codes.
    It sounds like you are having a problem with your ISC (idle solenoid control) and possibly the TPS (throttle position sensor). Go to the section in the service manual and read up on how to do the idle learn procedure. You might have a bad ISC, not uncommon for these to go bad.

ok i will when i get off work. one thing i may have forgot to mention cuz i feel like an idiot for letting it happen. but my car got towed by a moron and the tow rope got wrapped around the front of my car, like around the radiator lol so the metal got bent back towards the engine the only thing i can see visually that got messed up from this tow is the radiator fan is pushed back a little. so it rubs on the part that actually holds the fan on to the radiator maybe i can take a picture later and show you guys. but i wouldnt think that would have anything to do with my car having a high idle but who knows. ill look in my manual later and see what i can figure out and post again thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaceldo93 View Post
    but my car got towed by a moron and the tow rope got wrapped around the front of my car, like around the radiator lol so the metal got bent back towards the engine the only thing i can see visually that got messed up from this tow is the radiator fan is pushed back a little. .
    Is it on top or bottom? Does it look like it can be removed with bolts, nuts? I don't recall what there is up there that could have gotten bent. I'd say that was the tow truck drivers fault, they should know where to hook up without damage.

it got towed by my gf cousin hes an idiot lets leave it at that. the part that got bent back is like where the car hood latches next to the sway bar or whatever its called( the bar that holds the engine in place and the fan is right under that so when it got pushed back in bent the plastic bars that hold the fan and the fan blades are rubbing up on the plastic bars holding on the fan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.