Problem with 1990 Seville 4.5 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Problem with 1990 Seville 4.5 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: Problem with 1990 Seville 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    Don't forget the strainer on fuel pump either. I've see that problem too. You really can't rule anything out until you run tests.
    Thanks dennis93coupe, you did point at the strainer as a possible culprit. Unfortunately the only test for the strainer is visual and if the whole unit has to come out both pump and strainer is going to get replaced. I'm just so grateful its not the camshaft. Also I’m installing the Bosch unit.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    Thanks dennis93coupe, you did point at the strainer as a possible culprit. Unfortunately the only test for the strainer is visual and if the whole unit has to come out both pump and strainer is going to get replaced.
    And pressure test, beings you had very low pressure it was starving the pump. Good idea, change em both.

I'm just so grateful its not the camshaft.
    So am I.....

Also I’m installing the Bosch unit.
    I've heard good things about them lately.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I got the tank R&R with new pump finished up last Wednesday. When I started to ask the NAPA clerk about pressure ratings on the replacement fuel pumps I found the Bosch unit had a rating of 28. Their slightly higher priced OEM unit was 68, so was the cheaper NAPA unit. All three had the same warranty. I decided at the store to go cheep. What can I say? Less money, same warranty, higher pressure rating.
    Anyway I put over 500 miles on the car this last weekend. Spent 3 days on a chartered jet boat fishing for Steelhead at the outlet of Hells Canyon on the Snake River near the Washington / Idaho boarder. YA! BABY!
    The car ran flawlessly the whole distance. Gas mileage avg was 20.1, and anyone who has driven eastern Washington State knows it’s a lot of up and down and twisty turney. Plus I like to take the path less traveled, zero traffic most of the time.
    I want to say, “Thanks for all the advice and support in the diagnosis of my Seville. I got it repaired just in time”.

Cool

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

the Bosch pump must have been for TBI

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Absolutely. That piece would have struggled to meet the demands of your fuel system and may have had you chasing the problem elsewhere!

The problem with the 'one-off' 1990's is that they all get roped in with the TBI 4.5s when it comes to aftermarket support. This happened to me at RadiatorClassic - I measured my radiator and found that it was bigger than the one they had listed for 1990 so I had to order the 91-95 model. A perfect fit! Same issue with the cam sensor which according to Advance Auto does not exist for the '90. Many others....

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    Absolutely. That piece would have struggled to meet the demands of your fuel system and may have had you chasing the problem elsewhere!

The problem with the 'one-off' 1990's is that they all get roped in with the TBI 4.5s when it comes to aftermarket support. This happened to me at RadiatorClassic - I measured my radiator and found that it was bigger than the one they had listed for 1990 so I had to order the 91-95 model. A perfect fit! Same issue with the cam sensor which according to Advance Auto does not exist for the '90. Many others....

Interesting. I haven't run into this problem yet.

I was surprised by the Advance Auto cam sensor remark, so I took a look:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Ignition-Pickup-Stator-BWD_18240117-P_200_R|GRPTUNEAMS_1733067241____#fragment-2

A lot of times my problems at these chain retail stores is the lack of knowledge from the n00b clerks. In the case of the cam sensor, you never know what category he searched under. Could have been windshield wipers for all we know. Many of them know how to match up the part number on the computer with the box on the shelf, and how to match the colors on battery cables. Beyond that, you never know who you'll run into.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Ignition-Pickup-Stator-BWD_18240117-P_200_R|GRPTUNEAMS_1733067241____#fragment-2

A lot of times my problems at these chain retail stores is the lack of knowledge from the n00b clerks. In the case of the cam sensor, you never know what category he searched under. Could have been windshield wipers for all we know. Many of them know how to match up the part number on the computer with the box on the shelf, and how to match the colors on battery cables. Beyond that, you never know who you'll run into.
    And they have a real problem deciphering Deville from Seville....

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2
    Haha! Looks like they finally caught up. I tried to buy the sensor in 2008. I witnessed the search myself and indeed it was not listed. I couldnt find it on their website either. Also when I got the car, the PO mentioned it had an eo41(open cam sensor circuit) but he taped over the CEL because "This car dont have a cam sensor." Theres a couple more examples I've run into but I dont recall at the moment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.