4.1 to 4.1 swap, how hard can it really be???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1 to 4.1 swap, how hard can it really be??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; my 84 hearse has a 4.1 engine. it is blown , i have a wrecked 84 seville 4.1 with super ...
    Reverend Hearse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Collins hearse, 1979 Coupe , 1984 Seville,1990 fleet'

4.1 to 4.1 swap, how hard can it really be???

my 84 hearse has a 4.1 engine. it is blown , i have a wrecked 84 seville 4.1 with super low miles that runs like a dream but now handles like a nightmare, i know they are different (fwd vs.rwd) , but how much different is the actual block between the two? i figured i would have to swap the oil pan , exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, and distributor. but what i need to know is if it is possible or if i am chasing a pipe dream. i have both complete cars at my disposal, so whatever parts i would need are available. i have used the seville for parts to keep the hearse running, so i have found a few differences in minor parts such as the coil and tps, but nothing that should keep the swap from being possible. i cant afford to toss in a 307/350, so im using what i already have in front of me....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado

Re: 4.1 to 4.1 swap, how hard can it really be???

Even though the Seville is Front Wheel Drive it used the Read Wheel Drive version of the HT4100. It was not until 1986 that the Seville went to a Transverse drive train using the fwd 4100. The 84 used the THM325 transmission which mounts the engine longitudinally with the old BOP bell housing bolt pattern used on your 84 hearse.
    You will have to change the pan over to the one in your 84 hearse. (and possibly the oil pump pick-up?) There will also be differences in the starter and accessories but these should exchange from your bad engine.

Reverend Hearse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Collins hearse, 1979 Coupe , 1984 Seville,1990 fleet'

thanks for the info, i figured it would work when i looked it over, but wasnt 100% sure ...

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

got some pictures?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.