School of hard knocks - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, School of hard knocks in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Good luck with that! I use wheel bearing grease when assembling the O rings on the transfer pipe. I also ...
    carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: School of hard knocks

Good luck with that! I use wheel bearing grease when assembling the O rings on the transfer pipe. I also make sure the pipe is perfectly clean and not pitted. I remove the coolant sensor on the intake, push the pipe in enough to get a small screwdriver behind the pipe thru the access, then after everything is assembled, I push the pipe forward to the water pump. Then I reinstall the coolant sensor. Maybe you can push it back again but I dont think you will have access to the O rings. Did you use a new pipe or just new O rings? The new pipe has a forked retainer thats installed last to properly position the pipe. It slips over the pipe between the intake and waterpump.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

just new rings with a little greese.

I think the water pump needs to come off again, sorry to say! The pipe should be new unless you somehow damaged the O rings.

Thanks carnut,
    I reused the original pipe. The leak is a very slight seepage. I can dab up the coolant with a paper towel and it takes about a week before the puddle returns, under the A/C compressor. (without running the engine)
    So...No way around removal of the water pump?
    What if I use a little sealant rather than grease?
    I dont want to have to disassemble again!
    I think I'll spend a little time with it this afternoon. Its cold right now (30 deg) but the sun is shining and the day should warm up a might.

You might try draining a little coolant drying the pipe and apply high temp silicone around both ends of the pipe. Let it set overnight then add coolant. My concern is under pressure it will leak again. Or with pressure the O rings will seat. How lucky do you feel? If it stops seeping, buy a lottery ticket!

I agree. If I was lucky I wouldnt...well you know.
    My thought was to apply high temp silicone to the rubber o-rings instead of grease upon reassembly.

But that would require access to the O rings once assembled. I've probably done 3 4100 water pumps and I've never used anything but grease to allow the O ring to slide into place. Silicone inside a cooling system sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If it were meant to use anything other than grease, there would be a gasket not an O ring.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    I think the water pump needs to come off again, sorry to say! The pipe should be new unless you somehow damaged the O rings.
    Yup! That pump has to come off in order to remove the expantion pipe and o-rings.

I removed everything again, back down to the water pump and was able to confirm coolant was seeping past the expansion pipe o-ring at the thermostat housing.
    After disassembling I cleaned the ports as well as the pipe and installed new o-rings with a liberal amount of grease. I reinstalled the water pump and radiator hoses then I refilled the system, removing the temp sensor in order to burp the block.
    Two day's later I checked and found no trace of leak so I finished bolting everything back on.
    Just waiting for the Battery to charge up now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.