The best engine to put in my Eldo Cadillac? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, The best engine to put in my Eldo Cadillac? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; well my suggestion to you is to use an oldsmobile 442 engine. i grew up helping my dad build race ...
    rambo45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: The best engine to put in my Eldo Cadillac?

well my suggestion to you is to use an oldsmobile 442 engine. i grew up helping my dad build race cars and the only car he drove was an eldo. In our quest to build a better running race car that would outrun, and last longer we started to see what engines could withstand the heat. Because my dad worked at an autorecking yard we had many cars to chose from, and we found an oldsmobile with a 442 engine. We tested the car out but the car was to heavy, so me and my dad had the idea to pull the oldsmobile's 442 engine, and placed it in his eldo. Because an eldo is alot lighter than most oldsmobiles, we where able to make a better running race car, and a better running car period with an engine that will last a long time.
    KINGUYOM and KINGUYOM like this.

KINGUYOM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE 1985

thank's rambo45 !

in fact, i need a daily driver eldo, and I think I will consume too much gas with this engine.... in my country gasoline costing two dollars per liter ( that's a shame)

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

In post #6 you were considering a 6 liter engine?? Now there is a thirsty beast. Stick with the orig 4.1, it burns reg gas and will get reasonable gas miliage. Or maybe a Buick 6 cyl out of a Riviara? You could turbo it.
    KINGUYOM and KINGUYOM like this.

KINGUYOM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE 1985

thank you Cadman83

Oops, you're right, sorry my fault,
    I'm confused and I thought that the 442 Was a racing engine,
    bigger than 6 liter .... misread the message writting by rambo45

sprocket is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '88 Eldorado

I've got a 4.9 in place of the 4.5 on my '88 Eldo. I have the original intake from the 4.5 so it is still throttle body injection. The fuel injectors are a little undersized for the 4.5 so I compensated by doing a simple procedure that makes the fuel pressure regulator adjustable. I then booted the fuel pressure about as high as I could which was a little over 12 lbs. That's about the only changes I made. The idle is not quite smooth and I have tried every thing under the sun to correct it. It's not a very big deal though. The engine runs great other than that and I get pretty good fuel economy. The avg economy shows 23 mpg right now but I need to confirm that. Changing the fuel pressure could have affected the accuracy of computer calculation for mpg.

I'm not real familiar with the 4.1, but if the throttle body injection is the same as the 4.5, then you might just need to get injectors from a 4.5 and then increase the fuel pressure like I did. (to change to a 4.9)

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

When I swapped a 4.9 under my 4.1, I used chevy 305 injectors. The 4.9 is 299 CI so 305 is pretty close.

sprocket is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    When I swapped a 4.9 under my 4.1, I used chevy 305 injectors. The 4.9 is 299 CI so 305 is pretty close.
    I did that too at one point. I bought rebuilt ones. I found that the diagnostics showed that the engine ran rich at first until the computer got the feedback from the O2 sensors and then it would go into closed loop and be OK. There still seemed to be a tendency towards the rich side though.

After going back to the 4.5 injectors and increasing the fuel pressure, the lean issue right after start-up went away, or at least wasn't as dramatic, and once in closed loop, the cross counts are usually very high. My engine seems to like this combination better.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

MY 1980 coupe deville had the 6.0 liter, 368 engine which is stock for that year,maybe cost a little more for gas, but it's a very reliable and durable engine.

----------

[QUOTE=creeker;2954015]MY 1980 coupe deville had the 6.0 liter, 368 engine which is stock for that year,maybe cost a little more for gas, but it's a very reliable and durable engine.[/QUOTE

I should have mentioned, it is not the 8-6-4-, If I was you I would disconnect the 8-6-4. feature and invest a bit of money into the engine your friend has, they are a great
    engine, get it running for as little money as possible and see if it's worth further investment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.