Rough Running 4.9 - Please Help !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Rough Running 4.9 - Please Help ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello All, I've been reading posts here for a good while and recently decided to join because I finally need ...
    Moms95DeVille4.9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 liter

Rough Running 4.9 - Please Help !

Hello All,

I've been reading posts here for a good while and recently decided to join because I finally need to ask for some help. Please, please help !

I'm a competent DIY mechanic, and I'm not afraid to take things apart. But I don't understand everything and I don't have any specs or manuals.

My Mom's car is a 1995 DeVille with the 4.9. A few months ago it started running rough. It seemed like it was missing. The severity of the roughness would occasionally diminish when the car was warm. Occasionally but not always. My Dad said that once he noticed that at a traffic light it got almost all better within the 1 minute they were at the light, and it ran much better than before the traffic light. They drove it home and parked it and the next time it was started it was back to running poorly. I didn't experience this, and I don't always trust that my Dad's senses are as mechanically attuned as mine. Since the car basically has only had oil filter and synthetic oil changes every 3,500 miles (and basically nothing else) since 1995 I figured it was time to give it a thorough "tune-up" and I didn't mind spending money on it. It now has 80,000 miles on it. So,

I replaced the car, rotor, plugs, wires, and PCV. I went for the copper terminal distributor cap (much more expensive). All aftermarket parts. That didn't fix it. All the spark plugs that came out of the car looked used but fine. Same with the wires. Same with the cap. The car continued to run poorly.

Then I read a ton MORE on this forum and started learning how to use the Climate Control Center to go through the computer and get the codes. No codes. Repeat- NO CODES. None stored and none current. I went through all the values of the engine monitoring systems one by one, and although I did it quickly everything seemed reasonable (but I didn't spend a ton of time). So based on what I read in the forum I decided that the two parts in the distributor (the Hall-effect pick-up and the Ignition Control Module) could likely be giving me a hard time, so I replaced the entire distibutor (a $100 Cardone-esque unit from Advance Auto), as the cost was only about $10 more than the Hall effect pick-up and the Ignition Control Module put together, and I could get it quickly. I put it all back together just right, but that didn't fix it. The timing is close enough. I moved the dizzy around by hand, as I've been doing for 30 years, and nowhere does the car run without the roughness. I did not replace the coil on top of the distributor.

So I read even more on this forum (now I do nothing but read on this forum in hopes of fixing my Mom's car) and decided that the next thing would be to replace the fuel injectors. I knew that it would be a bigger job but she loves this car. I went through and shut down the individual fuel injectors one by one via the Climate Control Center. I did it three times over the course of 2 days and it seemed that the car would run the same when the number 4 and sometimes number 3 injectors were turned off. I figured that was enough of a reason to get new fuel injectors. So I researched fuel injectors until I was having nightmares about them (fuel rates, fuel flows for different pressures, brands, different models, design I vs. II vs III, pintle designs, etc.). I wound up buying a set of 8 brand new Bosch Type III for $280 delivered. The day the fuel injectors arrived I used the CCC to shut off the individual fuel injectors and number 3 and 4 didn't seem to react as they did before. I started getting nervous. I also bought a GM throttle body gasket and the EGR valve gasket. I removed everything and cleaned everything. The vacuum hose coming off the fuel pressure regulator was dry. I cleaned out the EGR tubes under the throttle body (and they were not totally obstructed, maybe only about 25% for the rear one and 50% for the front one. Now they are near perfect). I thoroughly cleaned the throttle body. It looks shiny new now, top and bottom, and all vacuum passages are clear. I bought new vacuum lines and connectors where needed, and checked all those.

I reassembled everything this morning, making sure there were no places that didn't either have a new piece of vacuum tubing or where I felt confident that the old ones were OK: I replaced about 50% of the vacuum connectors and tubing. Then I started the car. It is STILL missing. And it even more noticeable than before!!! HELP !!!!!!

With the new fuel injectors and vacuum lines i sense that the engine is more powerful, but the miss/missing/rough running is now more violent. I rotated the distributor back and forth and the same thing. I can tell where it "should" be but the roughness is bad everywhere.

Now I feel badly for having spent so much money on the car and have not yet fixed the core problem!!!! I feel badly.

After I started the car I listened closely to the motor. The only thing I could hear that sounded strange to me was that I could hear arcing in the distributor. Now I know that the distributor is supposed to arc between the rotor and the cap, but I've never heard it that loudly before in my life. I've never worked on Cadillacs, V8s, or this car before (with the exception of replacing the tensioner pulley from that poorly designed plastic one to a new GM metal one). And the other thing is that I found a line that looks like an unplugged vacuum line running parallel between the engine and the firewall. I traced it and it comes from under the car on the left side (driver's side in the USA) along with what I think are the fuel lines. It has a 2.5 inch piece of rubber tubing on the end that looks like it should be connected to something. I've temporarily plugged it up, hopefully it might cure an open vacuum leak, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. But maybe whatever it GOES TO is sucking and an open vacuum still exists, and is causing the roughness problem. I need to figure out where that line goes.

I'm feeling embarrassed at this point. The three things that people have most frequently mentioned (that I haven't yet done) are the PCM ($100 Cardone), the coil ($30), and the EGR valve/solenoid ($86/$40).

First, I want to check the coil on the top of the distributor. How do I do that with a multimeter? What are the specs? Can I measure the resistance of the coil? and also the resistance to "ground"?

Next, can someone give me specific instruction on how to precisely check the EGR valve and solenoid.

And lastly, and maybe most importantly, can someone tell me where the heck that vacuum line behind the engine goes?? I've looked and I don't see anything. Not that I can see anything behind the engine. So a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: Rough Running 4.9 - Please Help !

Sounds like vacuum to me. A vacuum gauge from Autozone costs about $15 and is worth having. Put a tee-fitting somewhere and use the gauge to monitor the pressure, should be 15-20 hg inches.

Could also be the fuel pump dying out. You need a fuel pressure gauge that goes up to 50 PSI to check that and they aren't as cheap.

A picture of the line you found would be helpful.

Here is a picture of the line behind the engine (the one I don't know where it goes to).

Who can tell me what this line is, and where it is supposed to go. Is it a vacuum line?
    Attached Images

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Dude you are one helluva writer! Now go to ebay and get your FSM. It's pennies compared to what you have spent on parts. All of your questions are answered there. You are probably a hair from finding the real problem

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

You have my sympathy, I have the same problem with a 90 Deville 4.5. Lots of money and time invested, all new parts and still misses. The only thing I could add to help would be for you to get a mechanics stethoscope to check that the injectors are clicking while the eng is running. If they are you can probably rule out the ECM and not waste more money on that. The other issue discussed in another post here is defective NEW parts right out of the box. No longer can you assume that because the part is new or rebuilt it can be ruled out as the problem. The more you are able to test, measure or put a gauge on the less money wasted. Good luck

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

I didn't see anything about the O2 sensor, may have missed it but those can cause havoc also. As mentioned I installed a new Bosh O2 sensor as preventative maint along with other repairs. It was bad right out of the box but becuase I had done a lot of other work I really went round a round with much expense before I figured out what was going on. A new AC Delco O2 sensor helped a lot but there are those who have had problems with AC Delco as well.

A little more info: the engine doesn't surge. The idle stays rock steady, even though it's running rough/missing. It is approximately at the correct rpm range too at idle. The vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator was dry.

Getting a Factory Service Manual for the car is a good idea. I've started looking into it, but I don't see any on eBay (1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4.9).

I'm not bothered by having spent money on the new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, vacuum hoses, gaskets, and even the fuel injectors. Mom would be happy to use this car for another 15 years (if she's able to drive that long). In hindsight the distributor wasn't needed but I'm not about to start crying over spilled distributors.

I know that I now need to do tests and use more brainpower.

I want to check the grounds on the PCM. Who can tell me where the PCM is located on this car?

Does anyone know if AutoZone (or anyone else) has a loaner fuel pressure gauge?

More thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moms95DeVille4.9 View Post
    Getting a Factory Service Manual for the car is a good idea. I've started looking into it, but I don't see any on eBay (1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4.9)
    This pair looks kinda raunchy, well used but both volumns are there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item3f0b088613

Tons of information in these manuals from front bumper to rear.

I want to check the grounds on the PCM. Who can tell me where the PCM is located on this car?
    Not sure, but I do know you have a lot of components on the backside of the rear seat accessed from the trunk. You might want to take your power connections and grounds off and clean them just to be sure if you haven't already.

Does anyone know if AutoZone (or anyone else) has a loaner fuel pressure gauge?
    Yes, most of them do. When you check the pressure, you turn the key on for a few seconds, turn it off and your pressure should hold. You should have between 40 to 50 lbs. You can also check it running, don't remember what it should be specifically, I think a bit less which will tell you if your pressure regulator is ok. Also take the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator, it should be dry and if it is wet inside the hose you have a leaker and will need changed. You can usually tell this if the mileage drops.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Fuel pressure sensor would be my guess as a place to start. It's not monitored by the computer and can cause a rough run and yet, not a rough idle. When fuel demand needs to be increased, a failing pressure regulator can't keep up. Costs about $30 on Rockauto. Can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge.

justin4yu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 2door sedan

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/sept99/techtotech.htm I found a computer at a junkyard for $10 and just plugged it in. No more searching, no more miss. Also give your wires a check and make sure they are all where there supposed to be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is your firing order, your distributor turn's counterclockwise.

cctgene is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

[QUOTE=Moms95DeVille4.9;2673065]Hello All,

And the other thing is that I found a line that looks like an unplugged vacuum line running parallel between the engine and the firewall. I traced it and it comes from under the car on the left side (driver's side in the USA) along with what I think are the fuel lines. It has a 2.5 inch piece of rubber tubing on the end that looks like it should be connected to something. I've temporarily plugged it up, hopefully it might cure an open vacuum leak, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. But maybe whatever it GOES TO is sucking and an open vacuum still exists, and is causing the roughness problem. I need to figure out where that line goes.

I'm not familiar with your car, but if I had to render a guess I would say that it's a vapor pipe that goes to or maybe from your charcoal canister. I believe the pipe is made of nylon and is assembled together with your fuel lines.

You might want to see if you can match lines from this diagram, it could be a fuel line vent or otherwise.

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...03&grouptype=B

cctgene is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

Here’s a vacuum diagram that may or may not prove to be useful. It’s not for a 95 Deville but it probably reflects the vacuum layout for a 4.9 of that era.

I reassembled the fuel injectors and rail, the thoroughly cleaned throttle body, almost all new vacuum lines and connectors to the throttle body, the old EGR valve with a new gasket (the old gasket was fine), and the distributor cap/coil/wires. I installed an auxiliary ground (from regular 14 gauge wire) running from the chassis just in front of the battery (where the negative battery cable attaches to the chassis) to under one of the bolts of the cross member on the same side, just to hopefully improve the chassis ground.

I turned the key and it pretty much started right up. I don't think it is running as perfectly smooth as it used to run before it started running badly a few months ago, but it isn't missing badly now. So that is a huge improvement. I did hear a slight knock but then I have only timed it by ear so far.

With the car running I then removed the fuse for the fuel pump and the car died within one second. So I followed the procedure for checking the fuel pressure with a gauge borrowed from AutoZone. Connect gauge, then re-install the fuse. Turn the key on (and cycle it several times, since the fuel pump only runs for 2 seconds until the engine starts) and take the first reading:
    42psi - with the ignition turned on and the engine not running. I maintained that pressure for a few minutes.
    Then start the car and take the second reading:
    37psi - with the engine running. Another steady reading.
    Then I decided to remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the throttle body:
    45psi - with the engine running and the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator removed. Also steady.

I think those are good readings, right? I thought 43.5psi was standard, is that right? And with these new Bosch Type III injectors a 42psi reading should be fine, right?

I still can't figure out where that open-ended vacuum-looking line goes, or what it is. I traced it back along with the fuel lines to above the gas tank. I capped it off for a few days and then opened it up today and heard a slow hiss and it smelled strongly of gasoline. Could it be a crazy gas tank vent tube? And if so, why just leave it hanging between the firewall and the engine and not vent it somewhere else? I did NOT find it in any of the diagrams from compnine.com The charcoal canister is on the left (driver's side) and I didn't take a close enough look at it, but I thought I saw that all isn't ports and lines were accounted for.

Thanks cctgene for the vacuum diagram. It is exactly like my car, but I don't see my mystery open line on the diagram. I have all other vacuum lines accounted for.

If I can find a inexpensive Engine Control Module (ECM/PCM) then I'm going to buy it just to compare it with the one I have. Or if anyone is in Delaware and has the same car, I'd be interested in swapping for a few minutes just to do the test. The car was silky smooth until a few months ago. It is much, much better now after all I have replaced.

Let me know if anyone has an idea about that mystery open line behind the engine, or if anyone has an ECM that they can lend or sell me.

Sounds like junkyard time to me. You might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone, an expensive PCM (doubt you need it as it appears you had a poor ground) and do a comparison on that line. It's possible that line got moved from it's original location? It has to go somewhere. You don't want gas fumes or anything like that above the exhaust. Where does the other end of that tube go?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.