PD08 and Spark Timing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, PD08 and Spark Timing in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is most likely a very novice question, but I'll ask anyway. If the 4.x engines require a base timing ...
    area310dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Past: 90 Seville Current: 92 Seville (parts), 92 Eldorado

PD08 and Spark Timing

This is most likely a very novice question, but I'll ask anyway.

If the 4.x engines require a base timing of 10 deg BTDC, how come the typical advanced degree values coming from PD08 in the PCM Data are so much higher?

The factory manual says you should see the same values with a timing light as in the PD08 display. And yet people typically see values vary as high as 49 degrees and never drop to less than 13 degrees. What do those PD08 degree values actually mean? How come we never see the 10 degrees displayed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Re: PD08 and Spark Timing

The timing displayed is relative to the base timing. The computer does not know what the actual timing of the engine is. It only knows what it is calling for. If the bast timing is set correctly, Then the computer will follow the actual timing of the engine.

Timing changes with engine load and speed. The computer controls this and sets the correct timing advance.

During startup, the computer is not controlling the timing until the engine reaches about 400 rpm. When this happens the computer sends a signal to the distributor to hand control over to the computer. Before this the timing runs with a pre set advance table in the ignition control module.

This has 2 effects. It allows for a stable slightly retarded value for engine start-up. It also allows the Distributor to operate in the event of the computer failing to take over control. (Limp mode)

area310dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Past: 90 Seville Current: 92 Seville (parts), 92 Eldorado

Interesting! I've read there is a pre-programmed "spark curve" for these engines that obviously changes with engine rpm and torque.

So I guess we would only see the 10 deg timing when we go through a special procedure to set base timing (never done it myself) or else when we are in "limp home" mode. We would never see 10 deg ordinarily since the engine quickly reaches 400 rpm when we turn the ignition key.

Am I saying all this correctly?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Yes. In short, the numbers you see in PD08 already include the base timing. For example, if you see 37 on the display, 10 of that is the base timing and the computer is adding an additional 27 degrees.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.