1995 Sedan Deville HEAD Gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1995 Sedan Deville HEAD Gasket in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I see a tad white smoke when I start my car. (i just had a blown head gasket on a ...
    ricoshooters is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan Deville

1995 Sedan Deville HEAD Gasket

I see a tad white smoke when I start my car. (i just had a blown head gasket on a 1988 Deville and it had white smoke like crazy). I'm trying to avoid and or prevent this from happening on my new 95 Sedan Deville. Any tips? What about this Steel Seal stuff? Okay to use it for prevention. (The $30 fix)
    Thanks, Richard aka Ricoshooters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: 1995 Sedan Deville HEAD Gasket

Whoa not so fast! It may just be normal condensation or even a bit of oil leaking past the valve seals. These motors have a very low occurrence of headgasket failures. The sealant can clog the radiator, the heater core, and possibly the small passages within the system. This will reduce the overall efficiency of the cooling system increasing the likelihood of an overheat condition which is what causes a head gasket failure to begin with!

Headgasket fixes in a bottle are 'last resort', 'band-aid' moves and have MAYBE a 50/50 chance of success. Using one as preventative maintenance will cause you a big headache.
    ricoshooters and ricoshooters like this.

Hey...thanks for your time. Okay you're right, I'm probably getting paranoid. I won't use any band-aids. These people have taken great care for this car. They left me receipts from 2005 on. They would take it in just to change light bulbs etc... Brakes front and rear, muffler, rotors, anything that clicked, they would take it in and get it fixed. I think I got a killer deal. $1,200. I asked why so cheap? (after I bought it) answer, Just wanted to get rid of it out of the yard right away. I believe these people were well off and took good care. I'm rambling...sorry. I'm just happy as hell that I finally got a good Caddy. Richard

I forgot to add that the GM coolant supplement pellets are the only 'sealant' that you should add to the cooling system. You can get them at the dealer or use 2 tubes of Bar's Leaks 'gold seal' powder from walmart.

Morning...Just read your "GM Supplement pellets" and "Bars Leak powder". Now I'm confused. Should I put this is now as a preventative? Or, are you saying if signs show that a head Gasket is bad then use it?
    Thanks again, Richard aka ricoshooters

It's required by the factory to be added at every coolant change. There should be a sticker under the hood that also says so. Add to the radiator , NOT the overflow tank and take a 15 minute drive.

OR

He Sevillian, New Ouestion: The SERVICE RIDE CONTROL light goes on and off as it pleases. The car is level but when I hit a bump it seems like the rear wheels are clunking against the wheel well. 1st place wanted $71 to diagnose. I went to a friend he grabbed the rear wheels, shook and shook. (Both rear) He said it's rear upper control arms (outer). And it needs a bushing kit. He said its possible the leveler light goes on and off because the tires go wacky when then hit a bump. Does this sound like hes right? Its going to be parts & labor $250 bucks. This sounds better than $71 to start then they tell you. What do you think. Thanks a million Richard I am very poor/fixed income.

I'm not familiar with that system since my car is a dinosaur and doesnt have it. If the poly bushing material is damaged/missing it's usually obvious by looking at it. You should start a new thread about that issue - you'll get some more experienced answers. Pics are always helpful too....

If you are able, jack up car, remove the wheel, and shake the hub/knuckle. Observe for metal to metal contact. Bushings in the rear dont fail nearly as often as the ones in the front but its not impossible. I would think that since the light comes on when you hit a bump, it is likely the shocks. I find it hard to believe that the ride control system would be able to tell if you need a control arm bushing but as I said, I am not familiar with it.

He said that when the bumps are hit and the wheels wiggle and shake, the leveler is going, "What the heck is going on"? and it doesn't know what to do. Man, I hope this guy is right. I'm taking a chance and have him do it. Oh yeah...he said the shocks are okay. Thanks again

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

The '94-'99's have a set of cross-axis balljoints in the rear that can fail. They usually go to hell when the seals dry up/crack/break and water gets displaces the grease.

GM will not sell you the bushings themselves, they want you to buy a new set of knuckles for more than the car is worth (found this out on my own '95). However, aftermarket manufacturers have begun to realize the demand for these. A quick search for "cadillac rear knuckle bushings" should bring up a few hits.

They are simply pressed into the knuckle. You will need to rent or buy a ball joint press to get the job done.

I don't know how to change to a different subject so I'll tr you again. Got your info, got the knuckle deal. Its being installed now.
    NEW!! I just popped my trunk open with remote, and now it won't shut at all. With or without remote or the key. Now I'm riding around with the trunk open. What to do? Thanks.

Does it latch? The 'auto trunk pull down' can fail in any position from fully up to fully down...

Hey Seville...trunk issue fixed. Rear control arm bushings; Fixed. $250 total! YES!!

FIXED! Yes. Did the upper and lower bushings on both rear tires. They were shot! The car rides great now. $102 parts $150 labor. Service ride control still goes on and off but the leveler is fine. Maybe after driving for awhile it will stop. Thanks for your info guy...it worked! Richard

Could be a loose connection in the sensor wiring and the shaking is disturbing it, causing the light to come on...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.